Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howard, I take that as a favorable review of the recliners?

Yes, it was Howard L. who measured these things up for us on his 30' FC Recliner model to see if they would fit a 25' before I made the service appointment. Another wonderful thing about this forum and its members helping each other. Thanks again Howie.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Interesting progress there Stephan - you don't happen to have photos of your progress do you?
TKS
Doug
ARCTICFOX (AKA Doug): At your request, I've published photos of the tear-out of our old, and much-hated, sofa (I've heard others refer to it as a gaucho?) and of the removal of our old carpet.

2003 Airstream Safari 25' Twin Bed - Carpet Removal

Quite a job, that - the tearing out of old carpet. Have had to disassemble much of the bedroom and hallway in order to get the carpet out from under the cabinetry and the outside compartments of the trailer. The tough vinyl trapped over the old carpet is nothing but a moisture trap; and I'm glad to get it and the carpet out of there.

Still working at it, but have most of it now. I'll probably remove the kitchen countertop (which I'll replace anyway) and try to get the carpet out from there and from under the furnace. Only places it looks like I won't be able to get are the areas under the refrigerator and bathroom.

I then plan on apply two or three coats of a waterproof epoxy to the floor to act as a moisture shield before installing new Allure commercial-grade LVT. Then I'll get the recliners in and plan new cabinetry / dining table after playing with the chair placement a while. I have an appointment in JC on Sep 16 to hopefully have the cabinetry built, have the trailer leak-tested, and for annual maintenance.

Does anyone have any thoughts on preparing the existing subfloor such that the bolt heads securing the subfloor, and the staples joining subfloor sections, do not show through my old flooring? I thought I'd get the bolt heads as far in as possible, pound the staples down into the floor, and then use a floor leveler compound over the joints/bolts heads/staples.

Thanks

Stephan
AStreamJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
DKottum - Measurement of Living Area for Recliner Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Howard, I take that as a favorable review of the recliners?

Yes, it was Howard L. who measured these things up for us on his 30' FC Recliner model to see if they would fit a 25' before I made the service appointment. Another wonderful thing about this forum and its members helping each other. Thanks again Howie.
Doug, speaking of measurements, one that would be very helpful to me in planning my own recliner conversion is to know how long your living room measures from the flat portion of the front wall (beneath the front window) -TO- the wall on which your TV is located. I'm wondering if the living room in my 2003 25' Safari is as long as yours. My measurement in this location is 88".

Thanks again for your help,

Stephan
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamJake View Post
Doug, speaking of measurements, one that would be very helpful to me in planning my own recliner conversion is to know how long your living room measures from the flat portion of the front wall (beneath the front window) -TO- the wall on which your TV is located. I'm wondering if the living room in my 2003 25' Safari is as long as yours. My measurement in this location is 88".

Stephan
I would be interested in this also as I'm thinking of doing the similar conversion (2-chairs / small centre table) but to a 28' unit. My layout of course is different and I just measured from the front wall (flat part) to the beginning of my galley cabinets (sink) and I only have 64". In my case I have a separate dinette and would only be taking out a wrap-a-round sofa/foldout bed. I would not have to worry about the TV and how to locate it as it's on a wall behind the dinette.

Here is an image of what my floor plan looks like:

If I remember right I also saw a conversion that Larry did that saved the small storage area I have against the front wall. I have marked this storage in colour so you everyone can see what i'm talking about. In my case, I would like to save that if possible but I need input from folks if you feel I have enough room.

Thanks

Doug
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
I would be interested in this also as I'm thinking of doing the similar conversion (2-chairs / small centre table) but to a 28' unit. My layout of course is different and I just measured from the front wall (flat part) to the beginning of my galley cabinets (sink) and I only have 64".
Doug
Hi Doug / ARCTICFOX -

you might want to clarify this for the other Doug (DKOTTUM). In your text above you state that you have 64" (which is 5' 4") and on the diagram it shows 6' 4". Did you leave out the foot sign in your quote of 64"?

Stephan
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Stephan:
Yes this was directed to DKOTTUM (Doug) but if feel you (or anyone else) has any input please jump in.

The distance is actually 64" (not 6'4") the drawing indicates the 64" also, it's just bloody hard to read. also the second measurement on the drawing is 51" from wall to door.

Just not sure if thats enough room for the chairs with a small centre table

Thanks

Doug (Arcticfox)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamJake View Post

Stephan
Our living room from the front wall (beneath the front window) -TO- the wall on which the TV is located is 96". You would have room for the recliner, lift up table, and about 10" extra between the lift up table and the wall the TV is on.

On the other side from the front wall to the sink cabinet is 72", just enough to stretch out in the recliner but when I do I usually send my feet out towards the center hall.

The recliners are moveable depending on how you are using them. You will want to pull them out from the wall some to fully recline, back nearer the wall for most use. Something you get used to without a second thought in everyday use.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's a link showing dimensions of the Villa Lift Recliner Airstream uses

http://steelpowerstore.com/index.php...&product_id=90

Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Articfox, Doug. Just measured my 30 with recliners (villa). On the street side there is 70 inches from fnt wall and the fwd dinette seat back (the 30 layout). And like your 28,' 51 inches from fnt wall and fwd door sill. In front of the dinette seat back, the fold out table is mounted to the street side wall. That cabinet, housing the fold out table is 28 inches wide (you would have 6 inches less than I do from that folding table mount frame and your front wall--but I still think it would work, ie, the table would still have room to fold out without hitting the chair). The center seat pedestal of the villa is 23 inches back from the front wall. The circular base to the whole chair sets 11 inches back and the wooden floor mounted bracket that is for securing the chair from moving is 9 inches from the fnt wall.

If you leave the storage unit (from in front of old sofa) in place, you could probably set the chairs in place but, they might have to be slid back towards the rear slightly. Also that 2 inch floor mounting board would have to be placed to the side of each chair (I see no problem there). But, your main loss would be that your recliners would not be able to recline at all--or very little. As my chairs sit now, you can not get full recline from them as they contact the front curtain/screen/window. If you disconnect them from their floor securing board (2 hand screwed knobs) you can--like Doug-DKOTTUM said--slide them to the rear of the trailer a little and get more recline.

Let me know if all this needs a photo, I'll move some dogs, dog pillows, hiking boots from behind the chairs and shoot you some pics tomorrow.

By the way, if you have pets, the floor space behind the chairs and between and to the sides of them is great for the little fellows to get out from under feet.

Howard

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Howard:
Thanks very much for this - very informative!

I've read your post several times but am still trying to get my head around a couple things. If it's not to much to ask could you take a few pictures as i'm very much a visual person. (sorry)

It sounds like the under window storage needs to go, but i'm not sure that a big deal. I like the idea of having room around and under the chairs as we have a little Yorkie and he likes to curl up under things.

Thanks again

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Articfox, Doug. Just measured my 30 with recliners (villa). On the street side there is 70 inches from fnt wall and the fwd dinette seat back (the 30 layout). And like your 28,' 51 inches from fnt wall and fwd door sill. In front of the dinette seat back, the fold out table is mounted to the street side wall. That cabinet, housing the fold out table is 28 inches wide (you would have 6 inches less than I do from that folding table mount frame and your front wall--but I still think it would work, ie, the table would still have room to fold out without hitting the chair). The center seat pedestal of the villa is 23 inches back from the front wall. The circular base to the whole chair sets 11 inches back and the wooden floor mounted bracket that is for securing the chair from moving is 9 inches from the fnt wall.

If you leave the storage unit (from in front of old sofa) in place, you could probably set the chairs in place but, they might have to be slid back towards the rear slightly. Also that 2 inch floor mounting board would have to be placed to the side of each chair (I see no problem there). But, your main loss would be that your recliners would not be able to recline at all--or very little. As my chairs sit now, you can not get full recline from them as they contact the front curtain/screen/window. If you disconnect them from their floor securing board (2 hand screwed knobs) you can--like Doug-DKOTTUM said--slide them to the rear of the trailer a little and get more recline.

Let me know if all this needs a photo, I'll move some dogs, dog pillows, hiking boots from behind the chairs and shoot you some pics tomorrow.

By the way, if you have pets, the floor space behind the chairs and between and to the sides of them is great for the little fellows to get out from under feet.

Howard

Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Me again Howard.....

I see you put "elfa" frames and drawers in one of your cabinets. While your measuring things i'm wondering if you could measure how wide the space needs to fit that type of thing. I don't have a double closet like you, but I might have the ability to make it work in my wardrobe closet. It would be really good to generate a bit more Kitchen type storage....

Thanks one more time

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Arcticfox (Doug) here's how another member installed the Villa Lift Recliners in his 28' Airstream

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ed-116209.html

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Here's a link showing dimensions of the Villa Lift Recliner Airstream uses

Stress Free Villa Lift Recliner
Thanks very much for the link Doug. The dimensions are very helpful... Also your comment about moving them a little and pointing the recliner parts toward the centre makes a ton of sense.

Cheers
Doug-2
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
TKS Doug - I will check it out ASAP
Cheers
Doug-2

Quote:
Arcticfox (Doug) here's how another member installed the Villa Lift Recliners in his 28' Airstream

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ed-116209.html
Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Me again Howard.....

I see you put "elfa" frames and drawers in one of your cabinets. While your measuring things i'm wondering if you could measure how wide the space needs to fit that type of thing. I don't have a double closet like you, but I might have the ability to make it work in my wardrobe closet. It would be really good to generate a bit more Kitchen type storage....

Thanks one more time

Cheers
Doug

I'll send some photos of the installed chairs tomorrow. As for the Efla storage units,, the frames and shelves come in 10, 14, 18 and 22 inch widths. Also different heights and depths. You could make them Work in your 28 wardrobe to fill the whole space or, say, just 1/2. I screw the frame to the closet floor plus a screw and PVC pipe spacer at the frame top and closet side wall--stabilizes upper part of the units when loaded. Put some big stick on chair leg cushions on the inside closet door-in line with sliding shelve top frames to keep shelves in place when underway. Stick these near the hinge side of the door.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Me again Howard.....

Thanks one more time

Cheers
Doug

I'll send some photos of the installed chairs. As for the Efla storage units,, the frames and shelves come in 10, 14, 18 and 22 inch widths. Also different heights and depths. You could make them Work in your 28 wardrobe to fill the whole space or, say, just 1/2. I screw the frame to the closet floor plus a screw and PVC pipe spacer at the frame top and closet side wall--stabilizes upper part of the units when loaded. Put some big stick-on chair leg cushions on the inside closet door-in line with sliding shelve top frames to serve as bumpers and keep shelves in place when underway. Stick these near the hinge side of the door.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Arctic fox, here are some shots of the chair mounting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407523151.132673.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	643.2 KB
ID:	218615

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407523198.211429.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	649.8 KB
ID:	218616
Chair back reclined to window, but still not fully down.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407523425.328431.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	642.6 KB
ID:	218618

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1407523494.157126.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	712.0 KB
ID:	218619
This last pic looks like the chair is almost right inline with the side/folding table. It is, but the chair corner never comes closer than 8 inches to the vertical frame as the chair is swiveled. Also I can raise the folding table with 6" or more space between it and he chair if I swivel the chair 90 or 180 degrees.

Thus, I still think it would all work in the 28 (chairs, center front wall table and the side wall folding table.

We have a new dog, note her kennel under the table in case she likes the taste of airstream when we go to dinner and that's a 30/19/21 crate.

Note, chair center pedestal measures 24 " from side walls.
Howard

Old 08-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Whoops articfox, I see the 28 has gear installed under the L-sofa. Guess the side folding table does not look possible without modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Doug,

I noticed you left the old brackets that the dining table used to latch on to. Any thoughts on removing them and covering them? Also what did you hide the other holes with? Hard to see from the 10-2013 photo. Also was the aluminum pretty scuff free when all the previous seating was removed? Overall looks pretty clean and open. Gene
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I left the old table brackets on for the time being, on the outside chance I would convert it back for some reason. That won't happen, works much better than before. Since then I have put the various cabinet mounting screws back into their holes. Rivets would look better I think, but I don't notice them, they're out of view for the most part.

The was minor scuffing of the wall where the long bench seat was installed, roadside. Nothing we notice.

Yes with the benches and table out it's wide open. Our model is a FC 25 rear bed, the furnace is under/behind the sink cabinet.