Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Airstream recliners are not Ultraleather either, they are the same exact model sold by Villa Int'l, Glastop and others. Leather seating surfaces, vinyl sides and armrests.

Look at a 2010-2014 Airstream 30 with recliner option, especially the Golden-whatever-they call-it color and you will see the recliners are a different shade of Golden . . . than the Ultraleather dinette.

We bought ours from Villa Int'l $750 and $50 shipping. They are a wonderful improvement to our former bench seats, we like them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Doug for clearing up my misunderstanding. I really like what you did with your conversion.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
No leather in those recliners!

I agree with dkottum that the Villa Lift recliners are definitely NOT ultraleather. However, despite what the Villa Lift people will tell you, they are also not leather on the seating surfaces (the non-seating surfaces they will freely admit are vinyl).

The confusion comes in what they term 'leather'. These are China-made, and I don't think the Villa Lift people even get anything that tells them what the true materials are.

There are no scars or uneven grains on the Villa Lift recliners as you would expect to see with true leather. Instead, the seating surfaces on the recliners has a pebbly appearance. This is what the furniture industry calls 'bonded leather'.

Bonded leather is not true leather (animal hide) but is instead made with various animal fibers and bits and pieces of hide, bonded together with synthetic 'goop' on a paper or fiber backing. It's then usually surface coated with a polyurethane coating.

Search the internet for 'what is bonded leather' and you'll find a lot of information and complaints from people who were sold the product thinking that they were getting leather. Bonded leather doesn't wear or 'weather' like real leather. The cheaper bonded leathers can begin flaking off color in just a few years. Bonded 'leather' is really a scam, although a legal one.

That said, I agree with Doug. These are comfortable recliners. The price is right (I paid $690 plus the $65 shipping to east TN). Much, much cheaper than true leather or Ultraleather recliners.

And, just FYI, I'm doing the recliner conversion myself, not at Jackson Center. If I knew how to upload a photo directly to the post without having to first upload them elsewhere on the internet, I'd post a few pics.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Jake...in that case I may get the recliners and then recover them with either true leather or ultraleather. "Made in China"....you would think for that price it would be made here with better materials. I guess it's just like most other products these days!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Dkottum...
You have written about the front vs rear bedroom issue in regards to the recliner conversion. I am looking at the 25A, 25FB, and 27FB models in the twin versions. Since you were there when the Jackson crew did the work, how much of an issue would it have been to do the same conversion on a FB unit? The reason I ask is that it appears there would be more room for the recliners with the FBs while giving up some bathroom space.
John
Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
John, only the 25A or B will allow you enough space for a recliner on the street side, and a place to mount the fold-up side table. This is because the 25FB and 27FB have the furnace mounted under the bench seat there. The 25A and B have the furnace mounted across the hall behind the sink.

The exception may be the Eddie Bauer models which have the furnace mounted street side but farther forward than the other FB models. The recliner may fit but not the folding table. But for the extra $10,000 of an Eddie Bauer over a Flying Cloud, you are getting close to the price range of a Flying Cloud 30 which has the option of factory built recliners, folding table, and console.

As for space in our new living room, it is more open and usable than the standard dinette setup. There's lots of foam spacers, cushions, and backrests gone out the door for good, and a side bench seat that we never found much use for.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck101 View Post
Thanks Jake...in that case I may get the recliners and then recover them with either true leather or ultraleather. "Made in China"....you would think for that price it would be made here with better materials. I guess it's just like most other products these days!
I don't know why you would recover them, they are comfortable and well made, a quality product. At $750 a bargain. Quality European made recliners such Ekornes would cost more than twice that and have no comfort advantage, I'm sitting in one right now. Looking at it's sorta pebble grain surface with no scars maybe it's not real leather either.

The recliners with a separate ottoman give larger leg support, but in the tiny Airstream living rooms the retractable leg rest is the way to go.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Doug for your information...looks like the 25A/B is the way to go. As to the issue of the recliner, I mentioned recovering it because Jake made it sound like it was an inferior material. Maybe I misunderstood him.
One other question for you....it looks like from your pictures that the exterior storage bin in the living room is now exposed....how do you still use it for external storage?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
John, the external storage hatch is behind the folding table, just deep enough for a rattle can of anti-corrosion spray, some wax, and my compact power drill set for setting stabilizers and w.d. bars. Handy.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Yes i saw that, but does not appear to be enclosed. Maybe it was a pre-finished picture I was looking at, but the external hatch/door appears to be exposed when the folding table is unfolded. Is there now an enclosed box installed?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Last trip (7 months) I just used an expandable fridge bar (Camping World) between the table frame to keep things put but when I have time will put an aluminum panel across there to separate the narrow storage compartment from the interior.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
neck101 - didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the recliners. They look good, they're definitely comfortable (much more so than that old gaucho I got rid of), and they feel good. I wouldn't reupholster them - you could probably buy a new one when it wears out for less than the cost of the reupholster job. They are China made, and of the material I described, so time will tell how well they wear.

In the meantime, I'm a happy camper. As Doug pointed out, European made recliners, while you can get them in real leather or Ultraleather, are ultra-expensive. The nearest equivalent I could find to the look of the Villa Lift recliner was also four times the price. Buy a Villa Lift and invest the rest in further improvements to your Airstream!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Y'all might take a look at the recliners made by Lambright furniture in Topeka, Indiana. They produce a "wallhugger" recliner, that is sized for RV's, and are extremely comfortable.
I've used them in two of our Airstreams and in two customer's Airstreams.
It is an Amish, family owned company. Their products are all American made, which is a refreshing note. They have an extensive selection of upholstery material, including ultra leather, and real leather.

If any questions PM me.

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Lambright Recliners

Larry C - I actually did look, closely, at the Lambright recliners that you mentioned. No doubt, excellent quality and materials. In the end, though, it boiled down to the look that we wanted. Lambright - more conservative and bulky, better quality & materials. Villa Lift - China-made, probably won't last long-term, but have the Euro / streamlined look we want for now. It was, truly, a tough decision.