Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Recliner conversion at Jackson Center

We have a new FC 25 front dinette version. We considered a front recliner FC 30 model but it's simply more trailer than we want to deal with, thinking of a conversion in the future. This fall we have a trip planned through Ohio and have thought of asking Airstream Service Center to do this conversion for us (I'm not even sure they do this sort of thing).

Has anyone had Jackson Center do something like this, will they do it, and is their labor cost reasonable and of good workmanship?

I could most probably do the work myself but not fond of cutting into a new trailer, and I've got a few thousand other projects going.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Not sure this data point will help you Doug - I know of an owner (Rawn77 on the forums) of a 30' Flying Cloud who wanted a L-lounge in front rather than the sofa. He had his dealer (CanAm) work to get parts from Jackson Center and CanAm did the rest. Work looked absolutely factory. Made me want a 30'...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Please post any pictures and contact numbers if you have the conversion done. We have be wondering if you could special order a unit with front recliners. I bet it would be a popular seller 25FR.
Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Regarding a recliner option, I have often wondered why they don't build a 25' with an L-lounge option (and the storable table) also. Would seem that lots of folks would like some kind of "living room" instead of a "dining room".
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Regarding a recliner option, I have often wondered why they don't build a 25' with an L-lounge option (and the storable table) also. Would seem that lots of folks would like some kind of "living room" instead of a "dining room".
LOL! We had exactly the same thought - but then again, looks like we have the same trailer you do. Love our 23' Safari SE with that arrangement.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Doug, just got in today from a trip to JC. They did some service work for me. Spent 2 days watching/observing the shop and the techs. I must say they are very dedicated to their work, and from all I could tell, do excellent work, albeit pricey at $109/hr. That figure is probably in line with any shop, anywhere, working on anything, plus I like to think these guys are the best of the best.

On a custom job, with the clock ticking, the $$$ could mount up quickly, but in the end, worth it in the long run.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Doug,

I assume you did a "search" on recliners. Here's what we did to our 25FB:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ble-86598.html

If you want two recliners in the back, that's another story. Maybe get your own recliners (AS is expensive) and have AS install a folding table (like in the 30 Flying Cloud) and build something else (cabinets or shelves or short sofa?) that goes where the long sofa is now.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Doug, I didn't realize when I posted that you had a front dinette. In that case see the link below to see the excellent modifications that Bandits (Jerry) did to his trailer. He put in 2 recliners in place of the sofa with wood cabinetry between/behind the chairs. Maybe this is what you have in mind. See post #14 to see his photos:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ers-53373.html

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My suggestion is to go to the website of the service center and email Chris Burch and ask him if they will do it and to provide an estimate. Have been there for other work. Sounds like something they could easily do. Might be more a question of the expense.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
I sent a request to AS asking if they could remove our L-shaped dinette and replace with two recliners and a table between. The estimated quote was $7,000. We decided it was too high so we are taking out the dinette table and the seating by the door and putting in only one recliner. We think that will be a good compromise for our 27 FB. My husband will do the tear out and the carpenter will install the cabinet.
Linda Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
$7000.00 must be a magic number. I asked for a quote on converting my 2010 25 fb queen to twin. Before that I had a 98 30ft that I wanted some body work done, in both cases the quote was $7000.00 And now Linda Kay wants a quote and it is $7000.00 ??????
Just kidding
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
$7,000 ! I wonder if that includes some sheet exterior metal changes such as removing a storage hatch? Agree, that's too high a price. I have some time on my hands this winter so take another look.

doug k
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have a new FC 25 front dinette version. We considered a front recliner FC 30 model but it's simply more trailer than we want to deal with, thinking of a conversion in the future. This fall we have a trip planned through Ohio and have thought of asking Airstream Service Center to do this conversion for us (I'm not even sure they do this sort of thing).

Has anyone had Jackson Center do something like this, will they do it, and is their labor cost reasonable and of good workmanship?

I could most probably do the work myself but not fond of cutting into a new trailer, and I've got a few thousand other projects going.

doug k
Well, a year has gone by and I finally decided to get recliners in our 25' front dinette Flying Cloud. I ordered the recliners myself, same ones as the newer 30' option. Going to Jackson Center next month and they will install two other 30' pieces, the center console between the recliners and the street side folding table.

I have asked them to also clean up the wiring and electrical equipment exposed when I removed the dinette and side lounge seating. This makes it a "trailer-for-two" which is what we really need for our extended retirement travels.

I'll update after our visit to Airstream in October.

Here is a photo of the unfinished install, ready for Airstream Service Center to finish. The recliners fit nicely and are very comfortable. This is something of a leap of faith, hoping they do nice work. If not I'll have a winter project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	196338  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Inspections at Airstream Service Question

Along with our recliner conversion, we have asked the Service Center to do a 27 Point Inspection and Seal Tech leak test.

The inspection sounds like something we do routinely, but might be good to have their experience take at look. And after finding some minor leaks, we've decided the Seal Tech is worthwhile being we are already there. There are few who can do any needed repairs better.

Has anyone had either of these inspections done at the Service Center? How did it turn out for you?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We dont have any similar experience but will be really glad to learn how it turns out for you.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Ever since I purchased my '87 Excella 2 years ago, I have had all my service work done at JC twice yearly (once on my way south from Ottawa, Canada to Arizona, and again on my return). Each time I have my brakes checked and wheel bearings repacked, plus whatever else has cropped up - our annual mileage runs around 16,000 miles per year towing.

The last time I was there, Bob, the tech assigned to my AS, noticed that the right front tire tread on my AS was separating. I use a TMPS, and there was no indication of any change in tire pressure or temperature that could have warned me of an impending disaster. When the tire was removed, I was able to pull the rubber tread away from the casing with my fingernail and see all the steel belting.

The bonus is that, unlike servicing with dealers, you don't have to leave your AS there and return weeks later to pick it up. The have all the parts and they schedule service to start first thing in the morning. You need to be there at 7:00 am the day of your service appointment. If it takes more than one day, your AS will be placed on the terraport for you to sleep in overnight, but beware that for the next day's service, they tow it into the shop at 7:00 am.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I'll update after our visit to Airstream in October.

Here is a photo of the unfinished install, ready for Airstream Service Center to finish. The recliners fit nicely and are very comfortable. This is something of a leap of faith, hoping they do nice work. If not I'll have a winter project.
Those recliners really look nice! We have been considering adding recliners in our trailer too, in place of our sofa.

Our trailer has the sofa in the front, with three storage bins beneath. Our dinette is on the side, with two storage bins beneath. I am curious to see your finished product. Will you be adding some storage to replace what was lost?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Those recliners really look nice! We have been considering adding recliners in our trailer too, in place of our sofa.

Our trailer has the sofa in the front, with three storage bins beneath. Our dinette is on the side, with two storage bins beneath. I am curious to see your finished product. Will you be adding some storage to replace what was lost?
Storage vs comfort, that is part of the question. No problem, six months every year in the trailer needs comfortable seating, would rather "make do" with storage instead.

Most of what I took out was volumes of upholstered foam, much of that spacers too make the dinette/lounge fit the wide trailer. The volume of storage is relatively small. Going through all the stored stuff, deciding what is really needed, left plenty of room for it.

I wonder if the dinette could remain in the 25' SS you have, or reduced to a two person dinette. Every model is different and those who have done this have been pretty clever making it work. One 28' took out the side dinette entirely and put in cabinets, gaining storage.

When considering storage needs I think it is good to look critically at what you really need to bring along, the space the tow vehicle provides, and realize there are stores along the way.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
At Jackson Center

We are here at Jackson Center for our recliner conversion, as well as other maintenance. Our goal was a more comfortable "Airstream-for-Two", and to keep a factory production appearance.

They installed the same stock center console and folding table used in the FC 30' Recliner model, as are the recliners. The cabinet under the tv is custom built of identical material. Some electrical equipment behind the recliner is nicely enclosed.

The only loss of storage is the outside compartment door, which now has a narrow but handy space for my trailer exterior maintenance spray cans, lubes, sealants behind the folding table.

Here's a couple photos, the project will be complete tomorrow morning when they install a door on the custom cabinet. The sense of space inside is larger than the original dinette/lounge setup. It is very comfortable. We'll put up a more complete start-to- finish set on Flicker when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	198163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5700.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	198164  

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Your recliner conversion looks very nice

Dkottum

Your recliner set up looks very nice and matches the color scheme of your interior very well. It looks like it will provide comfortable seating and nice views. Also enjoyed your JC visit photos.

Regards,

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote