Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine just barely drags when removing it from the storage spot. So I don't apply WD until I get out of the spot and the a** doesn't drag. Then I get out, lift the tongue by the jack and apply the normal WD.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
The driveway at my former residence in Houston had a steep grade---made worse by a "dip" where the driveway met the street. A lot of the homeowners on the block solved their dragging problems by laying down a steel plate where the driveway met the street. I purchased a plate from a local steel company. The plate was about 3 feet wide and 10 feet long. It was so heavy that the steel company loaded it with a crane. To roll it off and position it on my driveway, we used sections of steel pipe. The plate weighed about 800 lb. and was too heavy to ever be stolen. I had no further problems negotiating the driveway with my RV's after leveling off the dip at the end of the driveway with the steel plate.

I would not advise installing rollers underneath the back bumper of an Airstream to solve dragging problems. Airstreams are not tail draggers. You risk crumpling the rear lower panels when you drag an Airstream trailer. I'm sure if you ask around, there will be Airstream owners who can show you what happens when you drag the rearend of an Airstream.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileus View Post
The driveway at my former residence in Houston had a steep grade---made worse by a "dip" where the driveway met the street. A lot of the homeowners on the block solved their dragging problems by laying down a steel plate where the driveway met the street. I purchased a plate from a local steel company. The plate was about 3 feet wide and 10 feet long. It was so heavy that the steel company loaded it with a crane. To roll it off and position it on my driveway, we used sections of steel pipe. The plate weighed about 800 lb. and was too heavy to ever be stolen. I had no further problems negotiating the driveway with my RV's after leveling off the dip at the end of the driveway with the steel plate.

I would not advise installing rollers underneath the back bumper of an Airstream to solve dragging problems. Airstreams are not tail draggers. You risk crumpling the rear lower panels when you drag an Airstream trailer. I'm sure if you ask around, there will be Airstream owners who can show you what happens when you drag the rearend of an Airstream.

I agree....and adding rollers REDUCES your ground clearance, further exacerbating the bad stuff that happens to an AS when "dragged".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Hi Guys,

Problem solved - Just bought a 1998 25' Safari -

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments and I'm sure I'll be coming back here for more suggestions and guidance in the future.

Orin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ad Photo 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	178066  
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Congrats! Looks nice.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Thanks Rich,

Depending on the weather we may go get it Thursday but it's in Kentucky and the weather may turn bad towards the end of the week.

Orin
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Very nice; let us know how you like it ...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
The wife and I made a quick 2 day trip to Kentucky (8 hr one way) to look at the 1998 25B. The husband of the couple that owned had passed away 2 years ago and the trailer had been sitting in the barn where it had been kept when not being used. I'm not sure how long it sat but it was under cover and had been winterized.

Nothing had been done to the trailer to get it ready for sale so it didn't present itself as well as it could have - but - it was in good condition, just in need of TLC.

My wife said she would be willing to tackle the interior (thank goodness it's a non-smoker trailer) and the mechanical's and exterior shouldn't present much of a problem for me. All systems worked on shore power but, as expected, the battery is dead as a hammer and will need replacing.

I was very concerned about the condition of the wheel bearings but didn't have the tools with me to re-grease them but there was a trailer repair shop, in the direction of my route home, about 20 miles from where the trailer was so I decided that if I took the trailer then if it had a bad bearing it would show up within 20 miles and I could stop at the shop and have it fixed.

Anyway - I was able to negotiate a fair price for the trailer and it's now sitting in Greensboro. The bearings proved to be a non-issue and ran as cool as a cucumber all the way home. The only tow issue is that the hitch has too much drop for my truck and will need to be replaced. The one that came with the trailer is welded so I will not even try using it. Even with the less than ideal hitch set-up the trailer really did tow and track very nice.

All-in-all it was a good trip; the folks that owned the trailer were really nice and it would have been worth the trip just to meet and spend some time with them.