Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Mine had no rot and only moved about 1/16" at the rear bumper but it's been here in the CA desert it's whole life and we only get 4" of rain/year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Ditto on my 73 Sovereign
OK it does exist, but I haven't seen it personally. The OP is in Minnesota, so I'd be willing to bet it has some rear floor rot. Now, if we were in the desert southwest it may be a different story.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Minnesota
I went back to look at it again today to try and talk myself into it. I had my gf (yes, she did this with me on Valentine's Day...she is a keeper I think) stand on the rear bumper and it deflected by over 1/2". Looking down the side of the trailer you can see some slight bulging of the skin. You can see where the shelf on the rear wall of the bathroom has separated and fallen by about 3/4". The tires are bottomed out in the wheelwells so even though it has new shocks and the bearings were serviced I think the axles are bad as well. The current owner came down to $5800 but we are still miles apart. He says he had an RV guy come and look at it and the RV guy says the axels are fine and there is only a 'little' rotten wood by the toliet. I don't mind fixing up the interior but for the price this is just too much of a project for me unless I win the lottery! Thanks again for all the input and we will keep searching!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho it is overpriced at $5,800.

But it will sell for what it sells for.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I promise you that practically every guy who ended up doing a shell-off started out thinking he was going to pick up a cool vintage trailer for a cheap price, do some superficial refurbishment and slick modifications, and be camping in a matter of months (yes that was me too, and I am now 4 years into a never-ending rebuild). The vintage trailer that doesn't need a lot of frame and floor repair has either spent its life indoors in a dry climate, or it has already had the work done.

So I would caution you against rushing out and buying a trailer that you have to convince yourself to like, especially one that has known floor rot, rear end separation, and certainly a laundry list of other issues. It really doesn't matter much if the price is $5800 or $2000, because you will spend many thousands by the time you turn back 40 years of neglect.

One good resource is the early episodes of the Vintage Airstream Podcast (The VAP). Listen to a bunch of these on your daily commute, and your expectations will end up much calibrated much better.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everding72 View Post
The current owner came down to $5800 but we are still miles apart. He says he had an RV guy come and look at it and the RV guy says the axels are fine and there is only a 'little' rotten wood by the toliet.!
"An RV guy" and someone who knows Airstreams is like apples and oranges. Sovereigns are the least valuable of 70s Airstreams. Generally, the older they are and the shorter they are the more they are worth. This Sovereign sounds like a $3000 trailer, maybe. If you fixed it up and wanted to resell it you would be lucky to break even. Figure putting in 10 to 15K to get it nice. If you go back in a few months and it is still there you probably could deal. IMHO the best vintage deals are someone who has done a lot of the grunge work already, got burned out, and decided to sell. Take your time, use your head not your emotions and you will find your trailer.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
This sounds like it will need a shell-off job because the frame will have to be repaired. AS had a "stiffening kit" which, to the best of my knowledge, were gussets that had to be welded onto the frame after it was straightened where it sagged. This applied to the 31 & 32 foot trailers that had the rear bathroom.

Considering what you will have to sink into this project to do it right you may be better off looking for a 1983 or later (up to 1994) AS that will require less post-acquisition costs.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Sovereigns don't get much love,,,, but they do have the biggest floor plan of Airstreams of this era....

I like my queen bed, full 32" X 32" shower and the kinda large open space of my trailer, it would not have fit in anything smaller.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455544869.392420.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	257311Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455544927.670195.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	257312

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I know this thread has run it's course and the OP has likely decided to pass on this particular unit but I have to add that just because a trailer has lived it's entire life in the desert does not mean that there cannot be floor rot or rear end separation. A lot of floor rot/frame rust is caused by ongoing undetected slow leaks inside the trailer from plumbing lines, connections and fixtures. One reason that the rear bath units are so subject to rear-end separation is that over the years, there are leaks in the bath area that rot the floor and rust out the frame. Anyone who plans to buy a 30 or 40 year old rear bath model should take great caution with this issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Mr. Morgan thanks trailer is a work of art! Make me want a sovereign.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Spell check sure makes me sound stupid😳
Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Thank you!!

We love staying in it!!

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Minnesota
My search will continue! I resisted the temptation and walked away. I e-mailed the seller asking about who 'RV guy' was but i didn't get a response. I know the upside of the value on this trailer is minimal but that isn't the biggest issue for us - we primarily want something to enjoy. I'll keep looking for a project that is fairly priced that i can take my time with. Again...thank you, thank you, thank you for all the input and advice.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Minnesota
My search will continue! I resisted the temptation and walked away. I e-mailed the seller asking about who 'RV guy' was but i didn't get a response. I know the upside of the value on this trailer is minimal but that isn't the biggest issue for us - we primarily want something to enjoy. I'll keep looking for a project that is fairly priced that i can take my time with. Again...thank you, thank you, thank you for all the input and advice.