Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rear Drawer on Classics

The rear drawer on Classics (for serwer hoses, etc) is new to me - my safari had a lift-up hatch. How do you guys secure the drawer? Mine works fine, but I have to secure the drawer with a couple of clevis-type pins to keep it from opening as I travel.

What do you do?

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
The drawer secures with a pin with a ring that closes over the end of the pin at each side of the drawer. Can't remember what the pin is called.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Rear Drawer

As Romap says they come from the factory with a hitch pin. I immediately replaced mine with stainless pins with a small stainless cable attached to the drawer slide. No more loosing the pins or always looking for them These can be found at most all marine stores. Additionally I removed my drawer and had it coated with LineX bedlinner. Though the drawer is galvanize coated it was always showing some corrosion. The LineX stops the corrosion, is kinda non skid surface, and looks great. I have a 2004 Classic and also removed the tool box on the street side and all the steel flashing in the water hook up area and had them coated with the LineX material.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Any ideas for locking the rear drawers to prevent theft of their contents. Or is it better to leave it only. Otherwisw some nucklehead will try to pry the drawer open and cause expensive $$$ damage. What about the spare tire. I am running a small lock throught the clevis pin that holds up the tire carrier.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Theft theories....

Naturally, there are about as many theories on theft prevention as there are noses and as*es....

I am of the opinion, applies to house, cars, boat, AirStream, that you SHOULD make them STOP and have to THINK about how they are going try to get arround what I have presented them with....

The dumbie criminals move on since they want to get in/out FAST and stopping to think slows em down - they move on.
The "More Ingenious" types get actually jazzed when they find the challenge I have left them. After some consideration, they also move on.
The STUPIDEST ones are the ones that KNOW they can't get past or around what I have used to protect my property - then the STUPID starts! They try all sorts of STUPID things, nearly ALWAYS causing excessive damage, just because their actions PROVE what their Brain told them previously - They KNEW whan they started, that they weren't going to get in.....

Consider the area that the AS will be living in, while not camping - ie storage - The AS will likely be FAR more inviting to theft/ break-in while unattended/ un-used at the storage place.

Use a Theft deterent "level system" - they gotta get thru level #1, and then they face level #2, etc....

This "Level system" works quite well IMO, since it presents a TT that HAS! a Theft protection system that covers it - This is better than 70% of all the TT/MH's out there. It shows you care about your property. Then there is the levels (should be obvious, Heck! Show all the levels OFF!) that will make any thief that is paying attention, move along to easier units. "Who knows, that Nomad 4 spaces over looks like an easy target....!"

So far ( I know, knock wood - knocking, knocking, knocking!!!) I haven't had a break-in or theft in 45 years! Plenty of folks all around me had that type of devastating invasion of personal space, and I DO feel bad for them - it is SO, SO, SO preventable!!!!

Sorry that I prattled on for so long, but I did want to offer my perspective. Hope it helps someone.

PEACE!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Unhappy Bad drawer design

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
The rear drawer on Classics (for serwer hoses, etc) is new to me - my safari had a lift-up hatch. How do you guys secure the drawer? Mine works fine, but I have to secure the drawer with a couple of clevis-type pins to keep it from opening as I travel.

What do you do?

Thanks - Pat.
Our 96 28' has the rear sliding drawer. It was retained by a couple of the rubber straps like those used on the front window rock guard. Lousy design. The high stress tore one of them apart and now we use a bungy cord to keep it closed on one side. When it rains, the water is channeled into this drawer, soaking everything inside, along with the carpet liner. ( I wonder if this was a "feature" so any stinky slinky parts would be washed by the rain?)
It sounds like the company discovered the error of their ways and switched to the pins.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, all. Sounds like what I am doing is about what can be done. I'll upgrade to the method flightlevel5 is doing.

Pat
Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Classic "rear drawer" or Safari "flip-up-bumper"...that is the question.
Which is better? We find that our stuff in the bumper storage gets really gritty. Does the Classic storage drawer keep things any cleaner...my hubby is thinking that feature could be one plus to trading up. Any advice?
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
The rear drawer on Classics is not water tight. I put down some of those dry deck tiles (got 'em from West Marine) to keep stuff off of the wet drawer bottom. This allows the water to escape and dry up and eliminated the possible mildew issue. I also put some foam weatherstrip where the drawer meets the bumper which cut the water intrusion down considerably. Things in the drawer don't seem to get dirty, but I only keep things like hose, cable, 30 amp extension, etc. there just in case. Classics have their own sewer hose storage tube located elsewhere.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Annemac -

I guess I found that even though the stuff in the Safari bumper got gritty, I didn't mind too much - after all, all I kept in there was the slunky hose and the power cable. I will say that whenever I put the cable away, I always had a towel and wiped the cord as it went into the compartment - no sense in adding dirt to places that are dirty enough. I always wiped the fresh water hose for the same reason - no sense putting something away dirty.

As for whether the drawer is better and a reason for upgrade?......YES, after all, any reason is a good one, right? Hee Heeee.

Pat
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
It is a hitch pin. Any farm supply should have them in many sizes.
One side of mine is locked with a small pad lock.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote