Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #1

2008 19' International CCD
Oak Harbor , Washington
Rear damage

Need some opinions on my recent damage (last night). Backing down an unfamiliar driveway in the dark - mistake! Is this damage easily repairable? My airstream is a 2008 Ocean Breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damage1.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	196959   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage2.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	196960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	damage3.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	196961   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage4.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	196962  

scrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks like a new panel will be needed. Do you have insurance on it? Probably $2000 to fix at a dealer. The panel costs around $500.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hardest part will be writing the check.

Sorry this happened, but looks like you actually picked a "good" spot to hit. Easily could have been 3x the cost if it was a couple of inches higher.

Ride out the season, and take it to the shop. Next year you will have a good story. Make something up, like that damn bear ran into my campsite and smacked right into the side......
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It all depends on whether you have insurance coverage and want to go the panel replacement route, or something less drastic. My recommendation on a trailer this new would be to do it "right" by replacing the panel. If you ever imagine that you might sell the trailer, the money you spend making it look flawless will be recovered in the sale. Leave it unrepaired, or do something shoddy, and you will pay double in the money lost on the resale.

By less drastic, I mean you could try to pull the dent out from the outside, using suction cups, or those "hot glue" methods of attaching something you can pull on to the dent and then giving a yank. You will never make it look perfect again, but you might be able to minimize the look of the dent.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Oak Harbor , Washington
Repair shop recommendations - Seattle area

Thanks for the response(s). Any recommendations for a quality repair facility in the Seattle area?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrocker View Post
Thanks for the response(s). Any recommendations for a quality repair facility in the Seattle area?
I'd check with the dealer. Airstream Adventures NW in Covington. I've been happy with their work.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Pacific Northwest....seal that seam while deciding on repair.

Bob
Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Oops. I am in the same situation as you are only the top panel is crunched. I have an appointment Nov 11th at an Airstream dealer for panel replacement. I was going to go to JC but after speaking with them they recommend particular dealers with metalwork training.

It is repairable. I used hot glue suction cup pullers to get the crater out of mine but was left with a crease. The good part is that the craters were gone but I decided that I could not live with it. The aluminum stretches so it will not ever be the same. From the looks of your hit it looks like you will have two creases at the valleys of those indents. The estimates are correct on the cost. The parts are about $500 and the labor is around $1200 for a single panel. It is a decision of do I live with this and keep the $$$ now only to reduce the sale price perhaps later when sold or get it fixed and keep it at full value. Either way you are out the dough!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had repairs done last year at a non-dealer shop in NewYork state. Very happy with the finished job but not a cheap one. In our case the other guys insurance covered it. 2 corner panels on the curb side and 1(upper) on street side. Lower one , like yours, he straightened as best he could and put the new panel over top of it. Slipped it in and riveted from the outside. Upper panels were removed /replaced. Have it done right. You won't be sorry. Ours looks great.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #10

Oak Harbor , Washington
Thanks to everyone for your comments. Airstream Adventures Northwest in Covington is going to be repairing my trailer. From my research, it appears that they have a great rep, and I've been really impressed with them so far with their knowledge, helpfulness, and the very detailed/complete estimate (although expensive - and I expected that).