Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
1997 30' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rear Bumper and Banana Wrap Replacement

First, this is my first entry and query for advice so be gentle . I have a 97 30' Excella 1000 and it appears to be in good shape. We have been enjoying it greatly this summer and have been cataloging the issues we have found and are fixing them with the help of the forum so we can go longer next summer. Can't thank "the forum" enough for all the sage advise. From leaks to matching truck to trailers it has been invaluable for this newbie.

My newest challenge I found during the removal of the rear lower bumper rail extrusion as I was removing the rear bumper cover and left/right bumper banana wrap to replace them. When I removed the wrap I found the right quarter outer skin attached solidly. But on the left the outer skin has a gap between the channel frame and the outer skin up to .5" (at the bend) as it wraps around the left quarter and none of the skin rivets ever connected to the frame channel.

If I attempt to press the outer skin in to rivet it to the channel frame it flexes and I am concerned if I do try to attach it to the channel frame it will be distorted when finished.

I have three questions if anyone has any experience with the this type of problem. I have some photo's (not real good) that I have attached that might make it clearer.

1. Should I be concerned? Structurally everything looks fine. No rear separation or apparent stress in that area, but what about water intrusion?
2. Any ideas of how to fix the gap without taking the panel off?
3 Any advise how to reattach the banana wrap, bumper cover and rail extrusion so it will be integrated and sealed? Just wondering if anyone has some lessons learned they could pass along so my possibility of success improves.

97 30' Excella 1000
2002 Ford F250
Attached Images

USN Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Welcome aboard!

What you might have is a rear end separation. ( dreaded )...

Need some more pics ... If you have them.

On the main web site, search "rear end separation".

Hope I am wrong...

Peace and blessings

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
1997 30' Excella
Thanks, I will try and take some better pictures and post them.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
1997 30' Excella
More info and pictures

Sorry it took so long, not real good with close-up photography and time-distance to storage facility.

Attached are some photo's I have taken looking up at the underside of where the outer skin has an approximately .5 inch space from the channel. Also, if you look closely you will see what looks like another skin attached to the channel. You can see it all the way from the forward seam of the panel around to the rear where the next seam is. Also about mid-point up the skin I can press against the skin and feel a another inner wall. Another observation is when I was sealing my running lights, when I took the one associated with this panel off I noted the hole where the wiring came through was not factory cut and if you look closely in the photo you can see the panel behind it.

I asked the previous owner if they knew of any repairs that were done with the trailer in this area and they could not supply any relevant info. So, I would speculate that something happened to the inner panel and the repair effort was to cover it with a new outer skin if I am right.

My concerns are still pretty much the same. If this is considered an appropriate repair, I can only assume that the inner outer skin is sound, but somehow damaged so I should not have to worry about vertical separation or one of the previous owners would have not chosen this type of repair. I see no evidence in any other area of the rear of the trailer where any stress exists or separation has begun or occurred. I do have a gap to contend with and ensuring water tight integrity will not be an issue. Also how to attach the rub rail and the outer-outer skin to the channel for some semblance of strength. Now I know why I found sheet metal screws used to hold the rub rail in, they reached across the gap.

Any ideas, observations or opinions are appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	196817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	196818  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	196819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	196820  

Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
1997 25' Excella
Silver Spring , Maryland
Rear bumper

I searched 97's because I want to replace my bumper and saw this 3 year old post. Did you ever solve the gap problem? If so did you replace the bumper with something different?
Hometeam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
1997 30' Excella
Bumper/Banana Wrap

Yes I did figure out why the gap existed. Apparently somewhere in the trailers history a mishap occurred and the decision with regard to how to fix the panel was to overlay a new skin over the old skin and rivet it in place. As the pictures showed there are two pieces of outer skin with a subsequent gap due to the imperfect fit. I was able to insert new banana wraps on both sides on the inside and rivet them back in place. The only downside is a slight out of alignment where the wrap meets the rear bumper assembly due to the double skins. It's been three years since the original post and so far so good.