Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Re Seal the Roof?

Hi Im new to this site and am still dreaming of owning my very own silver bullet aka AS. Im looking at driving 600 miles to buy a 2008 international, but have a quick question.

the guy said he re-sealed his roof? What does that mean? Is that general maintenance or is that a BIG RED FLAG?

He also said he installed a skylight and shower vent??

please help!!

~ the newbie

Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Hi and welcome!
Re-sealing means there was a leak somewhere. All rv's leak at some point. The determination would be how much and how long as far as any damage.
So Cal right? It's not like living in Florida so any water damage would likely be less than in a wet climate, but would still be concerned.
Did he do the skylight and shower vent modifications himself, or did someone else?
You should ask these questions of the owner. Have you looked at it yet?
Twere me, I would drive down ask the owner if it would be ok to hook up and take it to a reputable AS dealer or someone in your area who has worked on Airstreams. this way you would likely feel more comfortable on your purchase.
In short, your buying a used something. The more you can find out about it from someone other than the seller, the better off you will be.

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
I will definitely call for an inspector come monday. when you say leak? do you mean where a fan/window or vent may be? or do you mean through the rivets?

I think the trailer was originally from CO so its wet there. He also said there was a dimple on the corner from shoveling snow off.

so confused
Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
I will definitely call for an inspector come monday. when you say leak? do you mean where a fan/window or vent may be? or do you mean through the rivets?

I think the trailer was originally from CO so its wet there. He also said there was a dimple on the corner from shoveling snow off.

so confused
Don't be confused. It's your money so it pays dividends to ask questions.
Ask the seller what the re-seal was for and exactly where and why. Just search here on the forum for seal, re-seal or any of your keywords of your original post. Read what others have posted.
Ask the seller for pics of the whole thing inside and out. Take your time and find out more information so you feel more comfortable about your purchase.
Yes, Colorado is wet and then dry at times. It is an extreme environment of either. Do more research so you feel comfortable. Have a reputable shop look at it and give you a recommendation.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote