Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Another great suggestion. Maybe someone out there can find a source for all of us.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Another option on plugging holes is aluminum wool. It won't rust like the steel kind but is harder to find. Mice won't chew through it and yet it still allows a bit of air circulation.

Brad
FF

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Good suggestion. The Bees will get in a hole as small as an empty screw hole. Vulcume is great for this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetinoregon View Post
I found the slots that the door steps ride in make a good access point for bees.They had worked their way in as far as they could go towards the front of the trailer.When I replaced the plywood by the door I put in aluminum baffles a couple inches from the step outriggers. Vulcumed them in good. Should limit any tresspassers to a confined area that could be hit with bee spray easily

Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
This is a good question. Here is my thought. On both of the trailers I've restored the main frame rail was a folded steel box frame. This means there is a very small seam that runs down the bottom of the box. This seam is open, but very small area. This should let for circulation of air. Here is the second part of my thoughts on this. Rats or mice in the frame will produce urine smell very quickly. Also the urine is very corrosive. So that protecting from short term smell, etc. is maybe more important that long time corrosion. Now if you live on the coast by the ocean this might be a different matter. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've never taken a trailer completely apart to see the whole frame under the floor. I'm not sure that if mice get in the frame, can they go from there and into the other parts of the trailer?
Could someone who has taken a trailer apart that far give me their opinion on blocking the frame holes front and back and if it would cause more corrosion by not letting air circulate? I certainly don't want the mice in the trailer nor corrosion of the frame.
I'm thinking that maybe a screen of some type might work?
What's your opinion?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #18

1977 29' Ambassador
Kelowna , BC. CANADA
Mice Problem.......NO MORE I HOPE!!

I had some mice who decided to take up residence between the outer skin and inner skin. Did not find out until about 2.30 in the morning when they decided to come to life. I set traps and got two of them. Was told that moth balls are not popular with the critters, but I can't stand the smell.
Was told recently that if you leave "Bounce" laundry sheets all over the place in between camp trips they wont go near my beautiful Land Yacht, plus its not too bad a smell to open up to, and takes away from camp fire smell.
Cant wait to try it out.
Almost time to go out again soon in our beautiful sunny Okanagan countryside.
Weren't the Olympics amazing.
GO CANADA GO!!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
I'm new to the RV world, But I consider myself an old salt because i lived on a sailboat for ten years. During that time, I never had a rat or mouse problem but I did have a couple of run-ins with wasps, and ants.
Both times I used the same sollution, "BUG BOMBS". Drop one, and the problem is history, (of course there is the overwhelming smell for a few days) but no bugs ever again. I got rid of the ants in Florida, and the wasps in New Mexico.
Hope this helps
Dorian
TAC's unofficial KARAOKE Provider
DD.KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mickey Mouse update.

Hi, as the saying goes, "The Deeper you dig, the more you find". Well I have been digging today and found a few things that may, or may not surprise you. Under my stove is the furnace, and in this non-secure area are two holes in the floor. One hole is for the kitchen sink drain and the other is for the furnace to heat my tanks. [I think] I will fill the gaps with spray foam. But I ran out of time today. Under my closet is a huge hole in the floor that could be used as a Mickey Mouse freeway. I will show you how I fixed it. Finally there is another hole in the floor, also under my closet, where my water pump is. My pictures will show how I blocked it off too. Some spray foam will make the final touches there too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796 (Large).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	97763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798 (Large).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	97764  

Name:	IMG_1801 (Large).JPG
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	97765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802 (Large).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	97766  

Name:	IMG_1805 (Large).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	97767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806 (Large).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	97768  

Name:	IMG_1807 (Large).JPG
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	97769  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Those are some interesting holes. The spray foam will probably keep out the bees and bugs. However mice will eventually eat there way through. A yearly check might be a good idea.
Here is a somewhat scary story. Several years ago I had a double wide home in a vacation area. There was a constant mouse problem. They would find a slight hole around a water pipe or elect wire. They would eat their way around the opening until they had created a whole big enough to get in. I tried about everything to keep them out. Cats, steel wool, metal plates, poison, They kept getting in. The final solution was to pore a 2" layer of cement on the top of every wall sill . This was a large undertaking. It did keep the mice out. We can't put concrete in our trailers. However I think we can work at preventing it with plugging the holes and having a maintenance program.
Don
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Here is one source for aluminum wool: Aluminum Wool
Stainless steel wool (actually a pot scrubber) is what I used to keep the mud wasps out of the battery boxes on the Excella, and I used the commercially available stainless steel screens for the furnace and water heater. This has worked well.
Mice can get into the smallest openings, most often via underneath the unit. Vulkum works well in my experience.
WLJ
Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Here is a question. How about using a little Vulkum to help hold the Wool in place so the critters can't pull it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlj1943 View Post
Here is one source for aluminum wool: Aluminum Wool
Stainless steel wool (actually a pot scrubber) is what I used to keep the mud wasps out of the battery boxes on the Excella, and I used the commercially available stainless steel screens for the furnace and water heater. This has worked well.
Mice can get into the smallest openings, most often via underneath the unit. Vulkum works well in my experience.
WLJ
Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Vulkem is a fine glue as long as you know it will take days to firm up, If you feel lucky a trick is to use expanding spray foam to encapsulate the metal mesh scrubbers but you need to have an adult present (no horsing around, no the (insert location here) could not use a dab) ... The foam-mesh has been a good repair on open frame beams at the hitch...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Hi Norcal,
That is exactly what I did.
WLJ
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Thanks WLJ, Your input will help others who are trying to fight the critters.
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlj1943 View Post
Hi Norcal,
That is exactly what I did.
WLJ
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
You guys may think you have troubles, just replace your mice with one opossum. I had one build a home in the insolation under the bottom of my house trailer. Two weeks of cleaning, replacement of the insolation and a lot of moth balls did the trick, so far. Moth balls smells a lot better than what the opossum left.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
David, that sounds real bad. Hope it gets better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david686 View Post
You guys may think you have troubles, just replace your mice with one opossum. I had one build a home in the insolation under the bottom of my house trailer. Two weeks of cleaning, replacement of the insolation and a lot of moth balls did the trick, so far. Moth balls smells a lot better than what the opossum left.