Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'd still pick up an inexpensive 12 volt test light. You never know when gremlins could strike.
Ordered one this am.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Is that little fuse an "inline" or do you have a screw cap that holds it in place?

In either case, if I could get to the wires I would put in an automotive resetable breaker. Nothing like having to fumble with a fuse over you stove while cooking. With a resetable breaker you just press a tab to reset powers is then restored!

I would put a 5 amp.

Of course this is at user responsibility so beware. It is not a difficult change improvement but will likely give them cause to void any warranty that remains. But that should not happen because a 5amp fuse is same as the breaker. The breaker is meant to reset rather than replace.

The real culprit sounds like the Italian job is beginning to fail or the fuses are not really 3 amp.
It has the screw-on cap. I think I will see how the 5 amp fuse works. This is the first time this has happened. I like your idea though for a resettable breaker. Could be the Italian job. Do you what Fiat stand for? "Fix it again Tony!"

Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Wow,
Ours is popping a 20 amp fuse these days! I found a 15 in it when it blew the first time. We have been going through these (I found them at Home Depot incidentally) pretty regularly and have in contact with the dealer about the situation from day one. Dealer has only seen the trailer once and at that time they installed a larger 20 amp fuse. It popped the next time we used the range.
Whatever is happening to my unit is causing a sporadic dead short. The combined amp draw of the light and the fan is less than 10 amps when tested so I am sure there is a fault somewhere in the fan motor itself. I expect the replacement any time now so I will report back on what I find when I replace it.
Bruce
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I had an Italian built hydraulics on my BMW motorcycle. They were both replacednat least once. I suppose there is a problem with electrics they build...?

I would have replaced.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Wow,
Ours is popping a 20 amp fuse these days! I found a 15 in it when it blew the first time. We have been going through these (I found them at Home Depot incidentally) pretty regularly and have in contact with the dealer about the situation from day one. Dealer has only seen the trailer once and at that time they installed a larger 20 amp fuse. It popped the next time we used the range.
Whatever is happening to my unit is causing a sporadic dead short. The combined amp draw of the light and the fan is less than 10 amps when tested so I am sure there is a fault somewhere in the fan motor itself. I expect the replacement any time now so I will report back on what I find when I replace it.
Bruce
Bruce,
Are we talking about the same unit? Airstream told me that these fuses are from Italy and very hard to find in the States. Electrical is not my strong suit...but how can a 20 amp fuse blow before the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box? Also, is AS sending a whole new range hood? Direct to you or the dealer? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
Bruce,
Are we talking about the same unit? Airstream told me that these fuses are from Italy and very hard to find in the States. Electrical is not my strong suit...but how can a 20 amp fuse blow before the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box? Also, is AS sending a whole new range hood? Direct to you or the dealer? Thanks.
I don't know what model range hood you have but it is the same manufacturer.
As for the 20 amp fuse blowing first, fuses are rated as fast or slow blow. It is possible to see short "spikes" of current that exceed the rating of a fuse. Thus in this case the 20 amp blows before the 15 amp blows. As to the availability of the fuse, I just matched the voltage and amps of the original in Home Depot. They have a surprising number of strange fuses there.
In this case the dealer will get me a replacement unit (entire range hood) as we are certain that the short is within the unit somewhere and the manufacturer doesn't supply individual parts.
Bruce
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I don't know what model range hood you have but it is the same manufacturer.
As for the 20 amp fuse blowing first, fuses are rated as fast or slow blow. It is possible to see short "spikes" of current that exceed the rating of a fuse. Thus in this case the 20 amp blows before the 15 amp blows. As to the availability of the fuse, I just matched the voltage and amps of the original in Home Depot. They have a surprising number of strange fuses there.
In this case the dealer will get me a replacement unit (entire range hood) as we are certain that the short is within the unit somewhere and the manufacturer doesn't supply individual parts.
Bruce

Bruce...did you get the replacement yet? Mine turned out to be just the fuse...it was hard to tell that it blew...very tiny fuse. A/S sent a 5 amp which blew again this last weekend when using both fan and light. I picked up a few more at Home Depot, but I think the problem still exists.

Gene
Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
There is another thread on this issue, titled "Range hood dead - fuses OK - no clue". It's in the "Stoves, Ovens and Microwaves" section. I never did solve the problem of the fuse blowing, but have managed to keep it at bay by never using the lights and exhaust fan at the same time.

I should rephrase that: my wife has managed to keep it, and me, at bay by never using the lights and the exhaust fan at the same time. Every time the fuse blew I immediately began taking the thing apart to test the amperage draw and replace the fuse, which always happened as she was making dinner. Alas, now that never happens. Women are so practical.