Old 09-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quick One: What is an Eddie Bauer equivalent to

I need to get a look at technical drawings of the sliding pantry in my 2012, 25'FB Eddie Bauer. The bottom slider's bearings went out and I need to replace it.

I'm guessing that there are a number of other models with similar interiors and sliding pantries. I suspect it will be easier to search for that model's technical drawings than for an EB.

Little help?

Thx

brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Most all of the 25 FB will have something similar. This is not something specific to a EB

Old 09-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Had a Safari, now have the EB. pantries are identical.
The problem with the pantry is its width... or the lack thereof. I haven't had to do any maintenance on mine, but replacing a slide inside an opening less than 8 inches wide could be a nightmare. Sticking my head in mine shows me that the slides could be replaced without removing the kitchen overhead and base cabinets IF the person doing it is right handed, has long skinny arms, a healthy rotater cuff in the right shoulder and a high tolerance for pain. Oh and a stubby screw driver with inter- changeable heads.
Once the food and shelves are removed it is easy to remove the door - held on top and bottom by Kreg (Kreig?) Joined screws.
I can see 4 screws holding the top slide to the wall, with a fifth hidden behind the fully extended frame. On drawers, one can take the slide apart by simply lifting the drawer front and pulling the slide wheel over a hump in the track.... how to do it on two slides mounted top and bottom? I am guessing - grab the frame on both the top and bottom and lift it while pulling out. (WAIT for someone more knowledgeable to post on this step.)
Once the frame and roller part of the slide is out, match the size and replace that half of the slide.
If you decide the whole slide needs to be replaced with a higher quality, full extension slide, smack yourself on the forehead with your left hand, make sure the screws align with the current slide, and stick your arm down the hole to try and remove the back screw blind.... the other four will be progressively easier. Then install the new stuff. Marine DI's guide to creative blessings may be helpful. BenGay or Blue Emu or eating a funny brownie afterwards - priceless.
It is possible to just replace the roller wheels in some slides. It may be a lot easier even if you have to cannibalize another slide for its wheels.
Ooh, and vacuum out the bottom of the pantry. Mine grossed me out. Dyson, do your thing. Bye.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ooh, and vacuum out the bottom of the pantry. Mine grossed me out. Dyson, do your thing. Bye.

I too found a nascent swamp monster forming under the pantry---when I took it out..

You're absolutely right. Getting the pantry out is a nightmare. Long arms, weird positions, stubby screw drivers, pain pills required.

Once I got it out I found that the lower slide was totaled. I contacted my local Airstream dealer who tried to help, but when the slide came, it was a drawer slide, not a pantry slide. I'm thinking the parts guy did his best and that I might be able to help by pulling the tech drawings and finding the right part number.

So now I'll continue my search using your advice.

If anyone else has been through this and has an invoice with the proper part number or other reference, please give it up. Thx
Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Take the slide to your local small hardware store, big box hardware store or to any kitchen remodeler. It is nothing unique to Airstream. Or just measure the length width and do the Amazon thing. If it has 5 screw holes they should line up. Get the heaviest weight rating you can... not a job you will ever want to do over. Are you replacing both slides as a precaution? A ratchet wrench with an adapter for screw driver heads might help.
Was I right about just lifting the rack to fully remove it?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
^^^^^ x2 -- Ditto to this good advice.

Your slide probably has a manufacturer name stamped someplace on it, like KV, Accuride, etc. -- usually on the back. Find the mfg., measure its length, and search for a new one. Should be fairly easy.

Attach a photo if you hit a dead end, and we can all help.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Had a thought... it was lonely.
To position the slide inside the cabinet, use a couple of Command stickies, then get one or two screws in and tightened. A little less contortion required.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Was I right about just lifting the rack to fully remove it?

Sadly, no. You've got to remove the sliders from both the wall, at the top, and the bottom at the, um, bottom.

I tried taking the slide to several places, no luck.

There is no manufacturer name or other id on the parts of the slider.

I've looked through several International parts books--the Eddie Bauer seems to be of that family--and while the surround, and the rack itself is shown and many of it's component parts identified, not the sliders.

The parts books are in PDF. I have a headache from scrolling through.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Does this look familiar? Maybe post some photos, with basic dimensions, and I would guess that the slides are available someplace. 2012 was fairly recent.

By the way, some makes of right-angle cordless drills should fit into the space, although you might have to use a very short Phillips tip in the drill's chuck. [* below]

Peter

PS -- How about these basic KV 14" slides, are they similar?

https://www.amazon.com/Economical-Ex...532170&sr=8-16

See: https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product...bearing-slides
https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-category/44

As long as the slide design allows for 1/2" +/- thickness, almost any brand would work OK, but if you find an exact replacement, you should to able to re-use the same screw holes.
[*] -- For instance -- less that 4" head size if I am reading it right:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-241...9532802&sr=8-2

The Milwaukee M12 line of lithium tools is great IMO. A good time to buy more tools!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 slide A 26 Sept 2019.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	353032   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 slide B 26 Sept 2019.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	353033  

Old 09-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Here is a photo of the pantry rack, removed from it's cabinet, laying on the floor of my EB. What you see is the top slider. It attaches to the top, left wall of the enclosing cabinet. Next to it is the drawer slider that my local AS dealer ordered and had shipped to me. Both are at full extension. You can see the problem. BTW, the bottom slider, which I'm trying to replace, is identical to the top slider shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3872.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	353034  
Old 09-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
In the middle of your slide, is the grey piece plastic, and is it holding the bearings in place? That should narrow down the mfg. IMO. [Edit -- those metal tabs sticking out to the left (in your photo) should also help ID the slide.]

What are the overall dimensions of your slide when it is closed? [L x W x thickness] That is all you need. See my previous post.

Santa Cruz, or San Jose over the hill, should have some good builders' supply stores. Maybe take the good slide in and they can ID the mfg., or give you a comparably sized slide. If you can accommodate a heavier duty slide in the same space, that would be helpful IMO. Accuride is a good brand IMO.

Peter

PS -- Is Mountain Charley's still in Los Gatos?

Yee Ha!
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Here is a photo of the pantry rack, removed from it's cabinet, laying on the floor of my EB. What you see is the top slider. It attaches to the top, left wall of the enclosing cabinet. Next to it is the drawer slider that my local AS dealer ordered and had shipped to me. Both are at full extension. You can see the problem. BTW, the bottom slider, which I'm trying to replace, is identical to the top slider shown.
OK, I am hooked on this thread. How did you get the whole thing out? I saw 4 screws when it was fully extended. Thought there must be one more near the door, hidden by the slide, but another look says No.? I agree any slide that is long enough and heavy duty enough should work, and if you could find ones that would be full extension it would be easier to see ecerything on the shelf. Not to add to the misery, but take a tape measure and you will see that the pantry shelves are quite a bit shorter than the depth of the of the cabinet.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
I had to replace the sliders on our EB pantry. Here is a link to a supplier <https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/hinges-slides-and-opening-systems/slides-and-drawer-box-systems/slides/1204028?sort=&nbPerPage=48> that had what was needed. Not too sure if it will work for you in the US. Match the length and height to the ones you have. This was 2 -3 years ago and I don't have the size used.

John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Airjeep: Thanks for your link. I've been having trouble finding a slide that is the same length as the one removed from my EB which is 25 5/7" long when closed. Do a little conversion and we find that it is 549.275 mm which I think is close enough to one offered by the outfit you linked to at 550mm.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Foiled Again: You're going to love this. There are seven screws attaching the bottom slide to the bottom of the cabinet, but there are eight screws attaching the top slide to the cabinet's side. I removed the bottom slide first--a multi hour project what with resting my twisted limbs. I removed six screws from the top slide and was prepared to celebrate when I removed the last, inner most screw. To my surprise I found that there was still one screw to remove, one you couldn't possible see and that you could only feel with a finger. That screw required me to hold the stubby screw driver at a slight angle and I worried that I'd strip the damn thing. Thankfully it came out fairly easily.

I've attached a couple of photos that I hope will show the position of the various screws. You can't quite see the innermost screw for the top slide. It's right up against the wall. Now that I think about it, the inner most screws were also in a position where I had to hold the driver at a slight angle just to be able to get head in contact with the screw, again, all the while fearing to strip it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3876.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	353069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3877.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	353070  

Old 09-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
In that case a 24" full extension slide should work just fine IMO, as long as the thickness of the slide works OK, such as this heavy duty Accuride:

https://www.amazon.com/Accuride-3832...9626903&sr=8-3

There is nothing magical about matching the exact length of your slide.

Not sure if you can mount one of these Accurides upside down [which is what the pantry setup requires IMO], as the release lever may not work that way. You might have to buy two pairs to get matching slides for your one-sided application.

The existing slide does not have any release like this, does it? Ours do not, as pictured in Post #9. Further R&D required I guess.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 10-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Removing the slides and frame. Not a good job for a left handed person like moi!

Ugh.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Masochism Tango

I have toyed with the idea of turning that narrow little.pantry into three or four drawers. I was looking at the drawers in the bedroom next to the queen and realized that the sides are steel, pre-formed with a track for the slides on each side. The width of the drawer is determined by the drawer back, bottom and front - which are.3/8 white covered plywood. The pantry door could.be repurposed into drawer fronts and building drawers should be easy. Mounting the slides would be hell on earth unless the kitchen, top and bottom was taken out first.. but it could be done using double sided super stick tape, followed with 3 to 4 screws per drawer.
Bottom drawer - tall bottles, single malt?
Middle drawer - spaghetti sauce, soup,etc.
Top drawer(s) - spices and tea
Top drawer could have a slider for really short stuff like pepper and tea or be two shallow drawers

And will I ever.do this myself? Nope, skills don't meet wants. Where was that thread about a super carpenter in Georgia(?) Who converted a queen to twins and.made it look factory?