Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Question questions from a new Airstreamer

We purchased a new Basecamp in 2007. We love it, and it serves our needs so very well! I think that the owners' manual isn't all that great, as I have lots of unanswered questions.

1. During a very hard rainstorm, we had a small amount of water coming from a side seam on the inside of the Basecamp. What does this indicate that we need to do? ....use Acryl-r and seal the outside seams? ....or use some kind of sealant on the roof? Is there any way to know how the water entered the Basecamp and made its way to that seam on the inside?

2. The bars on top of the Basecamp have rust on them. Airstream knew that this was a problem with the Basecamp, but didn't make any provisions for fixing this problem on new or already-purchased Basecamps. I have heard that many rusted while still on the dealers' lots. (Sealant was needed where the bars entered the "holders," supposedly, and that was what caused the problem.) Anyway, I contacted Airstream to try and get paint to match the finish on the bars. They only had it in gallons, and the cost was over $300. I know how to get rid of the rust, and I can certainly seal where the bars go into the holders (that are holding water), but I am stumped on touching up the bars with a finish that matches. Perhaps I'll have to repaint the bars completely.

3. What are the basic things we need to do in terms of regular maintenance and upkeep to keep the Basecamp looking its best?

...thanking you in advance for any help!
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote