Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Questions about old Airstreams

1) Why did Airstream change from tube to angle iron frames?
2) Why is it that most old airstreams have soft spots in the floor at the door and in the bathroom?
3) Why is it that most old airstreams bathroom floors under the commodes and showers rot? Are the commodes and showers poor quality and that causes them to leak?
Thanks
Rodney

Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Not all but quite a few of the problems with AS trailers can be due to owner neglect. Most owners on here take an active role in looking for, finding, and repairing and stopping freshwater and rainwater leaks. Neglected trailers may have leaks that are undetected for years. Rivets, doors, windows, and seals all can be areas that leak over time. The showers and toilets can be causes of leaks, but the products that AS uses in their trailers is always of the highest quality available at the time of production.
Water leaks can cause major damage to the plywood floor. When the salesperson says that they never leak, DON'T BELIEVE IT!!

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Maybe you can help me

I am looking for an old trailer with a good frame, axle, floor and shell. Airstream would be what I would perfer, maybe 20' or larger, gutted or not. Do you happen to have something like this for sale?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
just bought a 1973 airstream sovereign and being fixed-up. WAS just informed by the rv service place that there's a known issue W/ vintage airstream framing, something about it separating and that the repair to fix a whopping 37 hundred box. It's a safety issue and that I need to consider getting it done. Has anyone heard of this here?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
urb2165,

There are so many places to look, it's silly.

Why not start here on airforum.com's Classifieds?

The, all the usual suspects: ebaY, Craigslist, your local newspapers, grocery store bulletin boards (put up wanted ads for one!), and so on.

The more local to you the better.

Get a pattern for checking them all efficiently: the race often goes to the swiftest. You aren't the only one looking!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
just bought a 1973 airstream sovereign and being fixed-up. WAS just informed by the rv service place that there's a known issue W/ vintage airstream framing, something about it separating and that the repair to fix a whopping 37 hundred box. It's a safety issue and that I need to consider getting it done. Has anyone heard of this here?
I think you need to tell that service place, "see ya".

Andy
Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
portland , Oregon
As far as looking for Airstreams, I bookmarked a craigslist search for Airstreams, an Ebay search for Airstreams, and the same for Airstream classifieds on the computer. I would pass by the computer a few times a day and punch the three bookmarks to see if there were any new postings.

Eventually, I found a one-owner, 1968 Caravel. I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't been so serious about the search. I was the first one to see it and someone even tried to outbid me (sight unseen) on my way to the bank with the previous owner.

Moral of the story - I agree with Aage - you need to have a good idea of what you want and then set up a search system.

Good luck - Mine certainly has turned into a fun project.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Search on this forum for "rear separation", and be prepared to spend some time reading.

$3700 is pretty steep, unless they are doing a lot of other work like replacing the floor in the bathroom and adding a gray water tank and other things. Even then, it would be high. Material costs for most fixes are modest; it's the labour that adds up, so if you can do it yourself you will save considerably.