Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Question Question re content of Owners Manual

Just a quick question re- owners manuals.

We have ordered an owners manual from AS for our 69 Globe Trotter but has not arrived yet.

Does the owners manual for the 60's models give you instructions on how to use all the systems and appliances? (I know they won't be detailed but what about basic starting and operating?)

Or will we need to hunt down each appliance manufacturer information serparately? If hunting can anyone point us in the direction of finding such puppies?

Also looking at picking up a 72/73 service manual (first year for them) - as per a kind recommendation from this forum - but have not secured one yet - (AS want $75 US+ $1000CND for shipping to Canada So we are trying to pick one up from e-bay. Hopefully it will help us a bit in some areas at least.

Thanks again for any help - you guys/gals are the greatest
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
My '68 Owners Manual includes basic info about the trailer, towing, parking, etc., but the practical day-to-day details are lacking. I also have a pile of appliance manuals for the Magic Chef oven, Dometic refrigerator and a few non-original appliances (water pump, toilet, A/C) but these are mostly focused on how to install, service and maintain.

The best way to learn about your vintage appliances, I've found, is to post a question here! It always helps to post a picture if you can, too.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Wink

Hi RL;

Thanks for the heads up! Gees it will be another 35 years before we get everything going.

Poor Peter he has such little time available to work on her - so I have to try and get the info all rounded up for him on all the different appliances - he is a "read the schematic" and go to it kind of guy - but if there is nothing there for him to start - I'm afraid he will never start

By the sounds of it I need to find some real kind forum members out their willing to take some photocopies of their appliance manuals - do you think that would work if I posted one appliance at a time?

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Believe it or not, you won't be "newbies" forever!

We were in the same boat a couple of years ago when we bought ours in January. We decided to get everything all cleaned up aesthetically and attend the first rally we could find in our area, with a "hard tent" and ask for help. It was great...all the "old-timers" couldn't wait to show us "newbies" how everything worked...it sure took the scary-factor away from testing things the first time! Fortunately, everything worked except the water pump due to some cracked 38 year old seals. We ended up changing the water pump out completely when we got home.

Each spring our WBCCI Unit plans it's first rally for exactly this purpose it's known as the "Maintenance Rally" and is usually in late April or early May. We always have a few mechanics and the local dealer in attendence with some smaller parts. Everybody just trouble shoots each others trailers. We're now some of the "old-timers" helping others...fun to be able to reciprocate.

I would look into seeing if there is a similar rally in your area you could attend ~ or find a RV mechanic who would be willing to look at things and show you how they work if the POs didn't.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Re: Question re content of Owners Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by GT6921
Just a quick question re- owners manuals.
We have ordered an owners manual from AS for our 69 Globe Trotter but has not arrived yet.
Does the owners manual for the 60's models give you instructions on how to use all the systems and appliances? (I know they won't be detailed but what about basic starting and operating?)
Or will we need to hunt down each appliance manufacturer information serparately? If hunting can anyone point us in the direction of finding such puppies?
Not to worry too much. Our 1967 manual has little info on the appliances, but all of the appliances are about as simple as they can get! (Electronics? Not!) Sort of like the difference between working on a lawn mower motor and working on a new car motor. (The really valuable parts of the manual, however, are outlines of the eletrical systems and the plumbing systems.)

Lynn