Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Question about AC use without battery

I am having my battery checked and it is not in the airstream case. Can I use AC plug in while the battery is out of airstream. Is this possible? Will it harm anything?
jzuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuur View Post
I am having my battery checked and it is not in the airstream case. Can I use AC plug in while the battery is out of airstream. Is this possible? Will it harm anything?

In most rv's, the battery connect switch has to be in the "On" position for the thermostat and certain other features to work. Since your battery is removed, it won't have that battery power. So it depends on what requires 12 volts in order to enjoy the 120 volt appliances.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Battery out - can I plug to 120 volt AC?

Okay. But will I do any damage to my 12 volt appliances by plugging in the AC link to 120 volt line? And, will the convertor give me some 12 volt so I can turn on lights?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
With most trailers, yes you can use the 110 and you will have 12 volts without the battery. BUT ...you need to see what the technician did with the leads. If the loose battery leads short together or to the skin you will have big problems. You need to check the leads and the use/store switch. Unless you are sure about these things then don’t try it. Would have been nice for them to put in a loaner battery if the felt the need to “check” the battery. Battery checking does not impress me much. They usually go bad after they are “checked” anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Newer trailers, probably 90s and up have a well regulated converter that can be used without a battery in place, although Bill M's caution needs to be observed. Older trailers (sorry I don't know when the transition occurred) use an older converter that had poor regulation and filtering and a battery was required to clean up the 12V for the trailer. If you have a Parallax converter you should be good.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
I remove my house battery during the winter months ( always use electrical tape on battery cables to prevent mishaps ) I then use my 110 volt system for a sonic mice device in addition to 12 volt lights etc. including an occasional furnace use, no problems. If you have questions I would call Airstream in Jackson Center.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
Thanks to all

It is a 2008 Bambi DWR. I replaced the old convertor with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9245 with charge wizard. So, has a new convertor. So, I assume that as long as my battery cables are not touching each other (maybe electrical tape on them too) and disconnect switch is in "store", all should be okay? I can hook up to AC?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Question about AC use without battery

Quote:
It is a 2008 Bambi DWR. I replaced the old convertor with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9245 with charge wizard. So, has a new convertor. So, I assume that as long as my battery cables are not touching each other (maybe electrical tape on them too) and disconnect switch is in "store", all should be okay? I can hook up to AC?

I wouldn’t operate a/c on 110 volts 15 amps
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote