Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Quality Control Issues on Brand New Airstream

Shipmates! I feel the need to let those who are thinking of buying a new AS to REALLY go through ALL systems, every cabinet, nook, and cranny to make sure there are no issues prior to departing the dealership. I thought I did a decent job of taking delivery but I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I thought. Learn from my mistakes! After only 4 nights in my brand new 2017 Flying Cloud 25 FT RB, I've had water leaking from the water heater out under the power supply circuit breaker. This was from a cross threaded fitting which the dealership quickly repaired with a different fitting. I'm also having an overhead cabinet door replaced due to delaminating. Upon pulling into our campground and turning on the AC, I've discovered the fan kicks on but there is no cold air blowing out of the vents. There is also a couch cushion that is coming apart at one of the seams and will also need to be replaced under warranty. The bathroom door also sticks and you have to throw your hip into it for it to open. I expected a couple issues with taking delivery of a new AS and I understand there will be things to fix when RV'ing but I am a little taken back by ALL the issues from a brand new AS. Luckily the dealership is close and the service department has been great!

Has anyone else had this many issues with a brand new unit? The AC is obviously the most frustrating. It's also no fun having to hook up, take the AS back to the dealer each time something needs fixing (I'm full timing in my AS).

I think I now understand why the veterans on this site recommend buying a gently used AS which has had all the warranty work done already. Sorry for the rant.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Your story is why I will never buy new. A while back, I was talking to a veteran AIrstreamer. He was telling me all about buying a new trailer, taking it on a "shakedow" trip and then making a punch list of all the things wrong with it.... Then, dragging it back to the factory and spending up to a week getting it fixed. He acted like it was a norml rite of passage.... No thanks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP there are hundreds of post here with "new" owners reporting much the same as you. So many in fact that I came not help but laugh when reading or watching Airstream advertisements when they talk about quality. I am sure that at the upcoming WBCCI International that the mucky mucks from Airstream will be hearing many such reports just as they did at last years International. From the top down Airstream has major quality control issues and I can only believe that the sloppy construction will continue as long as customers continue to line up to buy the product. That said if I could afford a new Airstream I would buy one in a heart beat. But be assured I would not write the check and except the trailer without a rigorous inspection and after all my issues are repaired to my satisfaction.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yup and we all read the threads that moan "why wasn't this caught before delivery at PDI"????

The reason your beautiful, uber expensive Airstream leaves the factory will these kinds of problems, is that they don't have time or the space for quality control at the factory. It's get it out of here and to the dealership.

The dealership doesn't and won't fix these problems until the trailer is sold and the new owner has signed off on it. The reason being is that dealerships can only submit a warranty claim for transit damage before the unit is sold. In order for the dealership to submit a warranty claim for any other condition, the unit must be sold first and the owner must sign off on a repair order.

I know, it bites; but along with new vehicles, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My water heater never worked on "electric" but works on "gas"

This winter I found out why, the hot lead to the electrical side was severed - it was never connected. Obviously it was never tested not by the factory and not by the dealer.

Ridiculous!
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
Shipmates! I feel the need to let those who are thinking of buying a new AS to REALLY go through ALL systems, every cabinet, nook, and cranny to make sure there are no issues prior to departing the dealership. I thought I did a decent job of taking delivery but I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I thought. Learn from my mistakes! After only 4 nights in my brand new 2017 Flying Cloud 25 FT RB, I've had water leaking from the water heater out under the power supply circuit breaker. This was from a cross threaded fitting which the dealership quickly repaired with a different fitting. I'm also having an overhead cabinet door replaced due to delaminating. Upon pulling into our campground and turning on the AC, I've discovered the fan kicks on but there is no cold air blowing out of the vents. There is also a couch cushion that is coming apart at one of the seams and will also need to be replaced under warranty. The bathroom door also sticks and you have to throw your hip into it for it to open. I expected a couple issues with taking delivery of a new AS and I understand there will be things to fix when RV'ing but I am a little taken back by ALL the issues from a brand new AS. Luckily the dealership is close and the service department has been great!

Has anyone else had this many issues with a brand new unit? The AC is obviously the most frustrating. It's also no fun having to hook up, take the AS back to the dealer each time something needs fixing (I'm full timing in my AS).

I think I now understand why the veterans on this site recommend buying a gently used AS which has had all the warranty work done already. Sorry for the rant.
Yes, I along with many many others have had all of your issues and more. As someone else has stated " the quality and craftsmanship of AS are only a myth". A travesty? Yes. But they closed the sale and it's ours now. Many go the dealer repair route- I went to my shop. I wish you success on sorting it out. Although our fingers are burned, we feel your pain.[emoji17]
Old 04-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
Yes, I along with many many others have had all of your issues and more. As someone else has stated " the quality and craftsmanship of AS are only a myth". A travesty? Yes. But they closed the sale and it's ours now. Many go the dealer repair route- I went to my shop. I wish you success on sorting it out. Although our fingers are burned, we feel your pain.[emoji17]
Thanks Silver life. The fridge works, so my beer is cold. I'm thankful for a roof over my head but I do feel a little burned. Both literally and figuratively as it's 85 in my AS right now😂
Old 04-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Your story is why I will never buy new. A while back, I was talking to a veteran AIrstreamer. He was telling me all about buying a new trailer, taking it on a "shakedow" trip and then making a punch list of all the things wrong with it.... Then, dragging it back to the factory and spending up to a week getting it fixed. He acted like it was a norml rite of passage.... No thanks.
I tried looking for used but due to my time constraints with reporting to my next duty station, I thought 22% off MRSP was a decent deal for a new AS. Its just an inconvenience having to take it back for each repair which should have been discovered at the factory.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have purchased two new Airstreams and have not had significant issues upon delivery. Maybe that's due to using a highly reputable dealer? I'm not trying to belittle any dealers, but maybe they didn't check it out carefully?

When we arrived to pick up our first Airstream, they apologized for a brief delay because they had just found a defective antenna booster and were replacing it. That tells me they check EVERYTHING out before delivery.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The fit and finish on just about any recreational vehicle, short of high end custom builds, suffers from questionable quality control. And Airstream is no different. At least they offer a 2 year factory warranty. My buddy just bought a $106K 5th wheel with a 1 year warranty.

Once you get past the initial aggravation, it'll all be good. And when you go to sell it at some point, you'll be real happy you chose Airstream.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tea Pa... after owning your 'new Airstream' for 12 months, the 'major' repair and replacement hassles will be completed. Eight years with our 23 foot 2006, personally upgrading hardware, tires and even taking the trailer to Jackson Center with our original hit list of needed repairs. When all is done to your satisfaction, you will not only have your trailer up to standards, most of us expect, but also may have learned to trouble shoot your entire trailer!

Our 2014 International was throughly checked by us at the Dealer's Lot and still several self repaired problems were done, afterwards. Often, the inconvenience to have small items repaired on our own cost, was an expected fact of owning a travel trailer. Airstream, Jackson Center seems to approve of the local Dealer doing warranty repairs or replacing minor parts, rather than sending the part to the owner, saving labor costs for warranty work. I purchased small parts on EBay. Cheaper than Airstream, Jackson Center and usually more choices.

We were not happy... but the trailer became our problem to fix, while under warranty. Our 2014 is now road tested and time will tell if the cost justifies the purchase of an Airstream.

You will discover that many components are under a warranty, other than Airstream's. Had our tow vehicles been covered under such a hodge podge of warranties, it would be total chaos (the briefcase of manuals).

Put together a basic set of tools for working ONLY on your Airstream. Eventually you will be prepared to 'limp' into a service center for RV's, at any time. This Forum has many experienced owners with out of warranty trailers. You cannot find better advice. Ask and be patient. You will be giving advice some day, rather than asking!
Old 04-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quality Control Issues on Brand New Airstream

Bought ours new in December, a FC 23D. Some minor issues, stripped screws, cabinet latches falling off, crimps not tight on electrical system, etc etc.

I read on this forum before I bought and expected to do some repairs. I would rather buy new and then make the repairs myself and know it's done right. I have had a few instances where I needed a part, sent customer service a request, and they mailed me the parts I needed.

The only thing so far not tested is the water system, water heater and water pump, as the unit was winterized. Once it stops snowing here in Colorado, I plan to test that out.

Only warranty issue I haven't fixed myself is the awning. One of the wheel locks is not lined up well, and a pain to line up and to lock without getting up on a ladder.

I will take that one to dealer for warranty.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezinalong View Post
The fit and finish on just about any recreational vehicle, short of high end custom builds, suffers from questionable quality control. And Airstream is no different. At least they offer a 2 year factory warranty. My buddy just bought a $106K 5th wheel with a 1 year warranty.

Once you get past the initial aggravation, it'll all be good. And when you go to sell it at some point, you'll be real happy you chose Airstream.

Thanks Breezinalong! Yes, you can't beat the resale value. Who knows, maybe it will be worth more than a new one since I've already had all the repairs done!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Each year and model should have a running quality control forum thread. For 2004, our is now 34 forum pages deep.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...4s-7106-2.html

Our original warranty punch list was 3 typed pages. We had another long warranty repair session before that expired.

We are currently replacing the carpet and vinyl. Under the front carpet, I found at least a half-dozen rivet shanks, a piece of #12 wire, couple of screws, and lots of aluminum flakes. Under the vinyl, I found more of the same.

We are also replacing the entire DC panel and charging system. On our old DC panel, there was nothing connected to the breaker for "Circuit 6". Turns out the red 'circuit 6' wire and the red 'jack wire' were both on the "Jack" breaker.

After 14 years, we are getting some of the QA mess straightened out.

Don't be afraid to tell it like it is.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've had two new Airstreams, the first was assembled very well and the 2012 FC near perfect. We went through it with a fine-toothed comb before writing the check and found zero defects. After six years and some 1300 nights traveling and camping in it, no original equipment failures and four minor leaks which we inspect for regularly, quickly found and sealed. We treat it regularly with corrosion preventive sprays and have had no corrosion under or on the shell. We have have learned to tow it with a softly-suspended truck and flexible w.d. hitch, and use no more tire pressure than the load tables require, nothing has broken, come loose or been tossed around in the Airstream.

To suggest they are all crap, is crap. There are assembly problems on many of them, and it has been worse lately probably due to higher production volume using new workers and the recent plant expansion.

Dealerships as a whole are unreliable in my experience, you will be lucky to have a good one. As pointed our earlier here, take the time to go through the new trailer thoroughly, power up all systems and be sure they work as they should. And then set up a regular inspection and maintenance routine for your Airstream. Preventive maintenance is always easier and less expensive than repairs.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Wise words. Thank you.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We've had two new Airstreams, the first was assembled very well and the 2012 FC near perfect. We went through it with a fine-toothed comb before writing the check and found zero defects. After six years and some 1300 nights traveling and camping in it, no original equipment failures and four minor leaks which we inspect for regularly, quickly found and sealed. We treat it regularly with corrosion preventive sprays and have had no corrosion under or on the shell. We have have learned to tow it with a softly-suspended truck and flexible w.d. hitch, and use no more tire pressure than the load tables require, nothing has broken, come loose or been tossed around in the Airstream.

To suggest they are all crap, is crap. There are assembly problems on many of them, and it has been worse lately probably due to higher production volume using new workers and the recent plant expansion.

Dealerships as a whole are unreliable in my experience, you will be lucky to have a good one. As pointed our earlier here, take the time to go through the new trailer thoroughly, power up all systems and be sure they work as they should. And then set up a regular inspection and maintenance routine for your Airstream. Preventive maintenance is always easier and less expensive than repairs.
I'm not suggesting all AS are crap. I'm nearly questioning the quality control of the new units coming off the assembly line. For those thinking of buying a new AS, it's clearly apparent there are several issues that need to be addressed. I'm actually sitting right next to a 2017 30 FT International here in Tanglewood who was just at the dealership having a leaky water heater fitting replaced after noticing water on the floor as I did. Why don't they just slow down and pay attention to detail?

I think it's great dkottum that you've had such luck with your units. I'm very familiar with what we call PM's (preventative maintenance) having lived and worked on ships in the Coast Guard. I plan to do exactly what you mention in setting up a maintenance schedule to address the corrosion of keeping up with an AS. I picked up some POR-15 to treat all the rust on the underside. Yes, rust on a brand new AS. It's coming from Ohio in Jan....I expected this.

Thanks for the reply and your experience both good and bad (4 leaks)

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
. . . Thanks for the reply and your experience both good and bad (4 leaks)

Cheers!
Well, for the benefit of others lets's look at the "bad (4 leaks)" found during our six years of extensive travel and use. None were present shortly after delivery, I checked for leaks showing up in the plywood subfloor on delivery and regularly after.

One was at the lower entrance door hinge hinge where the screws had loosened over time.

Two were at the awning support bracket hinge mounting rivets and screws, not enough sealant. When our Airstream was assembled, the factory was doing their leak test before awning installation, now they do the leak test after awning installation.

One was at the rear operable window seal, and I think others may find this. In very strong, heavy wind driven rain toward the window, the water would be forced through the seal. Not a lot of water, but it would go into the aluminum tray-like frame inside, drain over to the mitered corners, and leak down inside the wall (bulkhead to you sailors, like us), and onto the plywood subfloor. I tightened the window latches and sealed the mitered corners of the inside window frame. It happened another time some years later when the rain blown in was excessive, raised above the opening for the winds latches on one side, and leaked through the latches.

If someone thinks their Airstream or any other RV or house never leaks in any condition, they simply haven't looked closely and/or tested it with a moisture detection meter. I can tell you from being around theRV parks a lot, Airstreams are nothing compared to others, the more complex designs (slide outs) the worse.

Get a moisture meter and use it regularly, find and fix the leaks while they are minor. It can save your plywood subfloor over time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Anecdotes are not data, but can be useful.

I have a 2017 Flying Cloud 26U with twin beds. I've towed it from NJ to Texas and a few hundred miles within Texas, and have spent 15 nights in it since I first opened its door on 3 April. It's not quite perfect but there have only been 2 issues so far, both non-critical.

At the dealer I noticed that the bumper-trunk didn't open and close properly. The "guide" that holds the slotted lid support was too loose and would bind on the lid support opening and closing... their tech removed and reinstalled it properly and it's perfect.

The LED strip under the awning guard for was pulling loose at the connection end. This was put back into place, but that didn't last... they're sending me a new part because the action of rolling up the awning damaged the strip itself and most of it doesn't light any longer. I'm going to to back "better than new" by attaching the connector to the awning guard with a bit of 3M VHB so that the LED adhesive doesn't have to support it.

The water heater "drools" a bit at the relief valve on city water, a typical issue with these "XT" models but not an Airstream-specific problem. The LED lights inside are a bit too far into the blue spectrum for my taste, but I knew that going in. I'm sure that over the next 10-15 years many more things will go wrong, but those are my only issues thus far. I suspect that the way in which I'm most unusual is that most people who have no big issues aren't posting "I have no big issues!"

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I should add...

PS: I should add that I've camped through heavy rains on 2 nights and light rains on one other, and towed in the rain. I have not yet found evidence of any leaks.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote