Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Pull Out Pantry Baskets Don't Stay In Place

I posted this on the Interior Restoration forum and shouldn't have.

The slide out pantry in our trailer is great.

Trouble is, the basked like to jump out of their hooking mechanisms, and play general havoc with the things they're supposed to be holding.

My first thought was to use "zip ties" to hold them in place. Then I found out, this little operation takes two hands. In a tight place like the pantry, getting two hands in to tie the baskets down is impossible (at least for my fat hands).

My next thought was to remove the sliding pantry mechanism and attack it from that way, but I'll be darned if I know how to get the thing out.

Has anyone had similar opportunities present themselves, and if so, how did you solve the puzzle? How did you remove the sliding pantry shelf system?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Murrey,
Hi! Good to see you on forums. I don't have the slightest idea, though. Our ole pantry doesn't have the new fangled baskets.

Hoping to see you and Sally in Branson this fall!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Murrey,
Hi! Good to see you on forums. I don't have the slightest idea, though. Our ole pantry doesn't have the new fangled baskets.

Hoping to see you and Sally in Branson this fall!
LOL!!

Come on up anytime. You'll see us there 365 days a year.

Tried to get Sally to camp in our "back yard", but…

Why don't you and Ray plan on coming over?

2011 23 FC FB
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Murrey

We had the same problem with our pull out panty. The issue is the metal catch being too short. I replaced the metal catch with a longer one. I used a small angle bracket (pictured)and I used a hack saw to reduce the size on one side. It holds the drawer now. Take the old catch out and you'll see what I mean.

Regards

Paul

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Murrey,
We may just do that, or maybe meet ya'll for dinner since we're going to be up there all week. You guys can come visit at the CG, maybe? It would be good to see you and Sally again.
Look forward to getting together in October

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Murrey

We had the same problem with our pull out panty. The issue is the metal catch being too short. I replaced the metal catch with a longer one. I used a small angle bracket (pictured)and I used a hack saw to reduce the size on one side. It holds the drawer now. Take the old catch out and you'll see what I mean.

Regards

Paul
Paul, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, as I can't preview your posted image. (That happens every once in a while.)

For the time being, I've gone the zip tie route. We'll see when we get on the road for a 400 mile round trip over the Labor Day weekend.

I've got my fingers crossed!

Thanks!

2011 23 FC FB
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
Can't see Paul's picture either. I would be very interested in his fix if he can get the picture to post.
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Sorry I was away for awhile (camping of course)

Here is the image again..

Once you take the old catch out replace it with an angle bracket like this. I just used a hacksaw (in between the holes) to get the right size.

Regards
Paul
Attached Images

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I posted this on the Interior Restoration forum and shouldn't have.

The slide out pantry in our trailer is great.

Trouble is, the basked like to jump out of their hooking mechanisms, and play general havoc with the things they're supposed to be holding.

My first thought was to use "zip ties" to hold them in place. Then I found out, this little operation takes two hands. In a tight place like the pantry, getting two hands in to tie the baskets down is impossible (at least for my fat hands).

My next thought was to remove the sliding pantry mechanism and attack it from that way, but I'll be darned if I know how to get the thing out.

Has anyone had similar opportunities present themselves, and if so, how did you solve the puzzle? How did you remove the sliding pantry shelf system?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Balance the complete running gear, or install Centramatics.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ashburn , Virginia
I like your catch innovation. I should have thought of that. I am a new (1 year) owner and we have travelled about 12,000 mi. in that time. My wife had noticed that our pantry slideout was occasionally all the way open when she checked the trailer. Before a 6,000 mi. summer trip, we had an authorized dealer do some warranty work and also fix the catch. The dealer reported that the catch was "adjusted." At the top of Wolf Creek Pass, we stopped to take some photos and spouse went into the trailer to use the loo.

On coming out she reported that not only had the pantry drawer come open, it had torn from its fastenings and fallen to the floor. We put the pantry items in a box, the drawer on a rug and continued on.

When I had some time, I discovered that the drawer slides (pretty standard kitchen items) were fastened to the particle board flat with 4 (2 on each side) small gauge screws. On sliding in and out (probably unbeknown to us), eventually they just ripped out of the flat panel. I replaced the small screws (after filling holes) with a guage larger and put in as many as there are holes in the tracks (I think 6 on each side). I also shimmed out the factory catch. I will be replacing it with your patent.

On calling the factory, they have offered to rebuild the drawer (not much to be done now) and reported that they have not had complaints about the pantry drawer. I have much more experience in boats and find the fastening and the catch to be hardly robust.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote