Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chico , California
Proper methods to safely stand a 24'er?

Hello! I was just amazingly blessed with the opportunity to purchase a 1968 Duke Steamline. He is absolutely beautiful, and today is day one for beginning all the many restorations he will be getting!

My number one concern atm is that the jack installed on the trailer is bent, due to some shenanigans by the seller I just bought from. Anyways, it cranks up and down to a small extent, but I am left feeling less-than-confident to its stability.

So does anyone have any advice on how I can make sure it will sit level, safely? The last thing I want is for it to fall and cause damage or injury.

Atm, it is supported with Jacks I bought at the auto part store, but there must be a better way?

I haven't posted a thread before, I will attempt to add pictures, please bear with my Newbism!!!
Amnesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Jack it just short of level, front lower, with your store bought jack and then put cinder blocks or other blocking material under the rear frame. Then jack it up in the front to where you can do the same with the blocking material. remove the jack and it will stay there as long as you want.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chico , California
Thank you HowieE. That seems straightforward enough.

May I ask, what if the ground is a little unlevel? It's parked next to our home in the carport and seems to not sit level , with a noticable lean to the right preventing the use of two jack supports (perhaps the concrete is graded slightly to prevent water pooling around the house) Or what if the blocks don't reach to "level" Are there shims for these types of things?

Also, do I need to be concerned with it slipping or shifting once placed on the cinder blocks? I assume my tire blocks should prevent that However, I'd rather not find out the hard way.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can level the trailer to suit by placing layers of wooden blocks on top of the cylinder blocks. If you are only standing the blocks on their ends and only using one per location it should be fine. If you are really concerned place the blocks on their side and use a second block for height.
To really make it stable place the blocks at a 45 degree angle to the trailer frame so the flat sides form a circle under the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chico , California
Here are a few pics of what we were working with, the cinder blocks we bought yesterday look like they'll be a perfect fit. We also discovered some hydraulics were added to the stabilizers, that will be fun to see if the still work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_153705.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	254915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_153952.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	254916  

Old 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Hydrology"?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chico , California
Autocorrect does some weird things on my behalf, fixed it thank you
Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesty View Post
Hello! I was just amazingly blessed with the opportunity to purchase a 1968 Duke Steamline. He is absolutely beautiful, and today is day one for beginning all the many restorations he will be getting!

My number one concern atm is that the jack installed on the trailer is bent, due to some shenanigans by the seller I just bought from. Anyways, it cranks up and down to a small extent, but I am left feeling less-than-confident to its stability.

So does anyone have any advice on how I can make sure it will sit level, safely? The last thing I want is for it to fall and cause damage or injury.

Atm, it is supported with Jacks I bought at the auto part store, but there must be a better way?

I haven't posted a thread before, I will attempt to add pictures, please bear with my Newbism!!!

When I read your message, it seemed to me that I remembered reading warnings abt using cinder blocks for this purpose and a quick search brought up many references - like this .....

NEVER use concrete blocks to work under your car!!

Other references said (if you are going to do it anyway!), position the block with the holes vertical (Their strongest position) with wood on top to better distribute the load over the block surface.

I'm sure many people do use cinder blocks without problem - but I'd be a bit nervous being under there! Id feel more comfortable with a bunch of jack stands instead!

I won't ever get under a car without a bottle jack or trolley jack in place as well as not one but a couple several jack stands.

I allow the load to come down onto the jack stands, but leave the jack in place as well for added safety

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
When I read your message, it seemed to me that I remembered reading warnings abt using cinder blocks for this purpose ... Id feel more comfortable with a bunch of jack stands instead!

I won't ever get under a car without a bottle jack or trolley jack in place as well as not one but a couple several jack stands.

I allow the load to come down onto the jack stands, but leave the jack in place as well for added safety

Brian.
Abso-frickin'-lutely! Jack stands are cheap and reliable... Use wood cribbing between jack and frame. And congrats on acquiring your Duke -- that's a super trailer!
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Try dis...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1555576

There are professional "cribbing" products, but good solid wood will work.

Be smart... Take your r time.. I had these apparently "small" jackstands which were supplemented with 4, 10 ton steel jackstands. Nice to have "backups"!!! Look to the left
Of the shiny ones...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	254939  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote