Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Proper City Water Fill, 30A inlet, etc. Placement?

Hey all, trying to work out all my exterior skin items.

We are upgrading from tent camping when we complete this trailer and have never RV/ trailer camped except with friends long ago. As such, I have no idea if there are any standards for where hookups are supposed to be.

For instance, if I go to a KOA or a state park campground with hookups, is there a standard place where the Water and Electric pedestals are relative to the spot?

More detail:
I have a '59 Pacer, so it has electrical connections in the forward curbside and aft streetside areas that I can select for the Marinco 30A inlet. The only plumbing connection is a water fill which is too low for my new tank and must be replaced, but the pressurized city water connection could be there. In that case, should I put the gravity water fill streetside or curbside? Is it generally on the left side of the trailer?

I'm just trying to make life easier in the future for making the hookups, but if there is no standard that's fine too.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Generally the shore power and city water connections are streetside close to the rear of the trailer. The sewer outlet is usually located in that area too. Most campgrounds have the pedestal and sewer connection located to correspond with the streetside rear of the trailer.
The gravity water fill port should be located as close as possible to the potable water tank in your trailer. Most likely the tank will be inside a cabinet or under a piece of furniture, locate the fill port to be close to the tank and hidden inside by the cabinet or furniture.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Generally the shore power and city water connections are streetside close to the rear of the trailer. The sewer outlet is usually located in that area too. Most campgrounds have the pedestal and sewer connection located to correspond with the streetside rear of the trailer.
The gravity water fill port should be located as close as possible to the potable water tank in your trailer. Most likely the tank will be inside a cabinet or under a piece of furniture, locate the fill port to be close to the tank and hidden inside by the cabinet or furniture.
Perfect! Thanks for the info. With the exception of the city pressure water connection, that sounds like exactly what I was planning.

As a follow-up, anyone have a good lead on a gravity water fill connection that is aluminum, chrome, or otherwise inconspicuous?
Please don't just send arbitrary links to VTS and the chrome city water pressure fill... I've been told about it so many times now...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Try here for a 70's style fill port. The door becomes a spout so you can fill the tank with either a hose or by a jug or bucket.
RV Salvage Parts Airstream Trailer Interiors Restorations Collision Repairs
Used RVs and Motorhomes - RV Parts | Colaw RV Parts and Salvage
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
What seems even more variable is placement of utilities across different rigs. Some connect electricity and sewer connections midship on the left, others toward the back of the rig, as with many Airstreams. Some really ugly rigs have two sewer connectors, one toward the front and the other toward the rear on the left. Really fun to hook those up.

In any event, it's in your best interest to carry a 20' sewer hose along with a fairly long electric cord.

Lynn
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I carry an extra water hose (RV type) and a 25' electrical (30amp RV) extension cord when we travel.

While most RV parks are fairly standard with utility placement, you never know what you will find.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
South Dartmouth , Massachusetts
Hi folks, hoping this pops up on the homepage or else no one will see since this post is from 2011, but does anyone know where to buy a stainless gravity fill ... pour drawer for lack of a better word?

Like this (https://vintagetrailersupply.com/pla...fill-vts-2208/), but I've seen it in stainless, with a bottom hinge, flush against the trailer like an access panel. Just not having luck with where to buy.

Thanks!

Fargo
fargotheAS is offline   Reply With Quote