Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Propane Tank Holder Recall

While on our way to Fredericksburg, we stopped by Camper Clinic 2 yesterday in Buda to have the new screws installed per the safety recall. They replaced the screws without us even having to unhitch and we were out of there and on our way in just a little over 20 minutes! Really nice, especially since we didn't even purchase the trailer from them. Can't say enough about their service. I did call last week to let them know I was coming by on Friday and make sure they had the screws in stock. Called a dealer in Houston the same day to try and get it fixed there. They required that I fax them the recall notice and said they would get back with me when they had further information on when they could expect the screws to come in from Airstream. That was two weeks ago and have never heard another word. Can't say enough good things about Camper Clinic 2 in Buda!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to hear about the positive experiences!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto, nice change from all the negative complaining post.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I sure am glad to hear that Camper Clinic did not have to verify your Airstream's VIN in front of a Notary Public before initiating the process of getting these "solid gold" bolts from Airstream via armored car.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was called yesterday about an open warranty claim from April 2014 for a replacement hinge on the right side of the stovetop for the bi-fold burner lid. No could figure who the part was for despite my calling many times and even driving 20+ miles to talk with the parts guy.

I made a very small stainless steel screw and locknut work as a replacement hinge since last year.

I will install the replacement myself to preclude more dealer damage and return the bad part.

I got warranty replacement lenses for the Classic fluorescent light bulb fixtures that are mounted cross frame on the ceiling. When Airstream tightened the screws the fixture bent to the ceiling curvature. I sanded the new lenses to allow for the narrower gap in the middle than at the edges of the lenses on each end of the lenses. They are now under no stress from being pinched in the middle.

Where are the factory engineers or mechanics trained? Everyone one of the lenses mounted on the ceiling were cracked the same way.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
...snip...

Where are the factory engineers or mechanics trained? Everyone one of the lenses mounted on the ceiling were cracked the same way.....

Great question, Switz. I asked Don on my tour how the staff is trained (leading training groups is what I do for a living). He talked only about apprenticeship. That can be good - especially in years 2-5 but if that's the only way they train, there's a world of opportunity for improvement. A big part of training is being able to make and learn from mistakes BEFORE you're in production. Apprenticeship and coaching are critical but best if built on a solid technical training foundation.

Many of the things I read about in these forums can tie right back to the process used to train the team.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Does Airstream have a recall list, preferably by model and year, somewhere on its website? I should check out whether the prior owners of my 2007 Safari missed doing anything.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Ditto with Camper Clinic II. Outside of our home dealer in Oregon and Jackson Center, they are by far our favorite Airstream repair center. They always make time for us, do the work right the first time and have an overall service oriented team which is refreshing.

There is a Cabela's across the interstate where you can boondock the night before to make sure you get to the service department first thing in the morning and while the work is being done, you can hang out and use the free wifi at the nearby Starbucks.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
I fixed the recall on my bottle tray this weekend. The tray seamed to be on solid with the self tap screw so I left them alone. I drill and tapped four new holes to 5/16" 18un. Installed new stainless steel bolt with lock washers and locktite. While I had some tool out I drill two holes in the large bottle lock down wing nut. One on each side of nut and a matching hole in the tank cover cross bracket. Installed lock through one side of nut and cross bracket. I have been wanting to lock bottles and this worked quite well.
slabatFB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Thank you for that slabatFB25. I will do exactly what you did.

I called Airstream Cust Service this morning and they will not send me the replacement screws after confirming that my unit was on the recall list. It must be done by the dealer. I explained to her that the nearest dealer is a 2 day trip including $500 worth of ferries cost (I live on Vancouver Island).
The fix must be done at a dealer. Period! Like the soup guy on Seinfeld
"NO SCREWS FOR YOU" :-)

So I will do like you and make my own repairs. The hell with them. This was my first call to Airstream after buying my unit in February and I wasn't impressed!! What did I get myself into?

Anyway, after letting my BP come down to normal, I looked at the screws and anyone that has a 5/16th wrench and socket can do the job in 5 minutes, with a coffee break at minute 2. But, I will drill and put stainless bolts in there as well as a lock for the tanks.

BTW the replacement part number is 345074-05 and you need 4 of them.

Cheers

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabatFB25 View Post
I fixed the recall on my bottle tray this weekend. The tray seamed to be on solid with the self tap screw so I left them alone. I drill and tapped four new holes to 5/16" 18un. Installed new stainless steel bolt with lock washers and locktite. While I had some tool out I drill two holes in the large bottle lock down wing nut. One on each side of nut and a matching hole in the tank cover cross bracket. Installed lock through one side of nut and cross bracket. I have been wanting to lock bottles and this worked quite well.
roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Under my avatar, click on images to see how I used a padlock to secure the propane tanks on our 25FB International. I did a similar modification for the Classic propane tanks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's a federal requirement that all safety related recalls be done by the franchised dealer per NHTSA.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
That federal requirement is too bad because I would feel it necessary to supervise changing a house hold light bulb at some dealerships.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, I get it. I would do it myself. It'll just always stay "open" on the dealer and mfr list. I will do my own brake hose recall, knowing if it ever goes back to a dealer, they're required to do it again.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
All safety recalls per Feds must be done by a registered dealer or a designated dealer by the manufacturer. Been there done that. As for AS it's all about liability, if you do it yourself I am sure it's fine, but if anything were to happen and AS authorized you to do the work they as well as you would be liable, now it's only you, unless of course when you get in a suite because the tanks fell off (hopefully never) and you bring AS into the suite. Not quite as simple as replacing or supplementing four screws.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's a federal requirement that all safety related recalls be done by the franchised dealer per NHTSA.
Thank God I live in that loft above the USA....

Al
Old 03-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundrobin View Post
Thank God I live in that loft above the USA....

Al
My last comment was meant as humour. I love going to the USA. But really, things are a bit more relaxed up here. The dealer (canadian) sent me the screws. And you are right. I will install them and get a tech to sign off on it after he inspects them (or maybe I will forget).
You know, sometime we worry too much about small stuff. I mean we go and change tires and wheels to LT tires and don't think nothing of suits and liabilities. But some tremble at the thought of 4 screws on a tray. Or installing stronger bolts and locks. But, we all have our opinions. That is what makes our two countries great.
In 2006, I dropped my 5th wheel on the back of my truck (don't ask). A bad day you think? Well not really. My wife was underneath, and she escaped without a scratch. So it was a good day. The insurance covered the $7000 worth of damages. Relax! Throw a log on the fire. I did that night.

Cheers

Al