Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Propane detector malfunction after…

I've been reading several threads about how to deal with the prop. det. drawing down the batteries during storage.
Because a batt. kill switch isn't feasible, I thought I'd just remove the in-line fuse for the detector.
In our '13 FC28, I found that it is located under the front bench in an area I can barely crawl into.

So, thinking it would be clever, I just went to the detector itself and installed male/female crimp-on quick connectors.

I did this after I removed the 1 amp in-line fuse.

When I finished the work, I coupled the connectors and replaced the fuse,
only to discover that the prop. det. was flashing red (indicating power) but would not reset or respond to the "test" button.
I made sure the fuse was still good.

What have I done wrong? Does the detector detect tampering?
Thanks,
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Dave

I just installed a SWITCH

Pictured here

Bob
Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Propane Detector Switch

Hi Bob, Thanks for your reply.
I remember seeing your photos - at the time I didn't get that the switch was at the top of the panel.
I'll be stopping by the hardware store for one.

In the mean time, since I couldn't find a way to re-set the detector, I ordered a replacement.

I still can't figure out how I might have damaged it…

Thanks again,
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's not just the propane detector, it's also the CO detector. And the thermostat even if the display is dark. I think the solution is to disconnect the chassis batteries with a main disconnect switch.
(By regulation, CO and propane detectors can't have a switch in line)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
It's not just the propane detector, it's also the CO detector. And the thermostat even if the display is dark. I think the solution is to disconnect the chassis batteries with a main disconnect switch.
(By regulation, CO and propane detectors can't have a switch in line)
Hi

.... and leakage back into the inverter and converter and ... and ...

A lot depends on exactly which model you have and how AS decided to wire it up that year. Indeed we blame the poor propane detector when the issue is really a number of similar items.

Next layer to the onion is that some battery manufacturers specify a mighty large monthly discharge rate. If you use their numbers, you are down 50% if a few months.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I haven't checked my Classic 30 yet, but my Safari 25 had the propane detector wired to the battery side of the "battery disconnect'" switch. I moved the wire to the distribution panel side of the switch. I think the Classic must be different, because I can leave it for weeks without draining the batteries. Next time I'm at the trailer I'll check to see if the propane detector is blinking.

The wiring diagrams for both of my trailers call the switch the "12V kill switch" which is a more accurate name. It kills the feed to the 12V distribution panel from both the converter and the batteries. The batteries are always connected to the converter. The wiring changed when they went to the distribution panels with the converter built in. In that configuration it was easier to switch the line to the batteries.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's no room inside the battery box, but the disconnect doesn't need to go on the batteries. I'm going to look at the 12v. path and see if the disconnect might be mounted on the forward seating area, near the door. Or on the panel next to the converter. I don't want to overcomplicate it by adding a relay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_380742_0_64baa8cffa6ed93a14d32b4feb04dac5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	293796  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There's no room inside the battery box, but the disconnect doesn't need to go on the batteries. I'm going to look at the 12v. path and see if the disconnect might be mounted on the forward seating area, near the door. Or on the panel next to the converter. I don't want to overcomplicate it by adding a relay.
Hi

If you are already routing the battery "inside" to protect a shunt, putting a disconnect switch in the same lead is a pretty good idea.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote