Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Probably dumb question but please someone answer :)

Can a regular plumber and electrician work on airstreams--including replacing some electrical and plumbing where needed or should I hire an RV/Trailer technician?
thank you.
NJB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Just my opinion, but the theories of both trades are the same. However, the "where" some components are located and the "best" work methods for fixing issues can be different. A generalist will take longer to figure out those details in your coach and do the job a bit differently.

So, it all depends on per hour cost and RV Tech versus electrician/plumber availability in your community, plus whether the tradesman will have the right parts in his truck to avoid unnecessary trips for on-site work. I'd go mobile RV Tech unless there isn't one within a reasonable distance if the nearest RV shop has a multi-week backlog.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It depends...
How willing is this "regular" electrician to research the differences in RV panel wiring? There's a lot of difference between "ready to learn" and "you can't tell me anything."

Lots of owners do their own plumbing work. No reason a plumber couldn't do it if he/she is patient enough to work in the tight spaces involved. You might consider the DIY approach on this one. PEX water lines are very easy to install--snoop around the plumbing department in your favorite home improvement store. The drain side of the system is plastic pipe--also pretty easy.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Of course that is very possible and not dumb at all.

With electric they might need to understand, 12 V, 30 amp, 50 amp and 110 and 120 and that many appliances run on propane in addition. It's not house dryer electric.

With plumbing a knowledge of gray, black and fresh tanks along with hepvo filter and venting.

That's a really basic answer but most of your answers are right here in the forums. Google your question with Airforums in the search line as that helps.

Come right and ask them if they are knowledgeable about trailers, comfortable looking up answers if the get stuck and telling you if they aren't.

Lots of the trailers being renovated now are using pex for plumbing.

Good luck.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
The key really is the ability to take apart an RV (especially and Airstream) to get to the components that you wish to work on. Sometimes there are tricks to RV's that a traditional electrician or plumber might not be aware of.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I live in Round Rock... I know we aren't a 'weird place', but have some experience with Airstream gremlins...

PM if you want to chat.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
For major work the learning curve on Airstream specific items is fairly steep. On the major items (AC's, appliances, fridge, propane, toilets), be sure to let someone do it who has done a similar repair or replacement.

There are several reputable technicians in your area (do a thorough search of the Forums on similar repairs that others have done).

It will be almost impossible to find someone willing to come to your residence to work on the trailer.

Expand your search to the Houston or San Antonio areas if you have to in order to find experienced craftsmen.

Be prepared to spend around $100 per hour for quality technicians.

Luck, your best source of information is to spend hours here on the Forum researching specific items and topics.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
NBJ1972, I took my AS to one of the biggest RV dealer and repair places close to where I live to get some plumbing and electrical repaired on my 1978, I told them they could take their time because I wasn't planning on using it for a couple of months . Their bill came to almost $5000.00 most of it for labour. When I tried to use the stuff that had been "repaired" nothing worked, I took the bills and the AS to CanAm RV and they redid the work, the plumbing wasn't hooked up properly and most of the electrical was done incorrectly switches put in backwards etc. Be very careful who you let work on your AS ! You can get an Airstream Service manual from the company that tells you how to take the whole trailer apart. If your handy it shows you how to do every thing. I got the book just to familiarize myself with the hidden components ,,,,,but I would never take it to any where but an AS shop for repairs. Good luck, and happy trails.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
NBJ1972, There are no dumb questions ! Only people who are too dumb to ask questions!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bev, curious, why take the previous bills to CanAm?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Of course they can work on it, hell I can. I think it comes down to what is available. In my caseIt think the handy man I use for my house is so much better than the RV place close by that he would do a better job, but Jackson Center will beat them all.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
IMHO a generic RV tech, plumber and electrician are in the same category.
Airstreams are put together differently and are a breed apart. Best practice would be a tech who is familiar with Aistreams. Don't take thier word, get references. It would help if you post what exactly needs work.

And, I believe there are no service manuals for a 2004.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Books available "Plumbing for Dummies" and "House Wiring for Beginners" unless you can't bake a cake or change a tire yourself. Otherwise you can read, learn and DIY.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
No I changed my mind. Girls can't do anything mechanical, read books or learn to read a wiring diagram. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Since you know it doesn't work, take it apart cause you can't break worse ( in most cases) and if you do harm, take it somewhere. And sometimes it doesn't cost any more. You'll soon learn when to stop or when you are in over your head. Leave propane stuff to an expert until you complete a few evening adult HVAC classes. Piezo ignition or standing pilots and thermocouples are not rocket science. Gas leaks are easy to test for. Yet be extra diligent if you do propane yourself. Go for it girl!!! DIY
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Funny that I just called Windish RV in Denver today about a plumbing issue.
The tech I got said, "Let me get you our Airstream guy." He gave me great info to get me through a minor repair at home, vs. driving the 100 miles to take it in.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
AWCHIEF: I took the bills from the rv "repair" because I wanted to show them what had been done,,, but in this case not done. When I went back to the RV place to question them about the repairs not working their response was " Well why the H,,, didn't you take it to Airstream in the first place !" At CanAm they showed me where things were done wrong, like not enough clamps on the water lines and several other things done wrong. The bill from the RV place was almost 90% labour.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you, Bad experience for sure, glad you were finally able to get everything fixed properly.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
AWCHIEF: I took the bills from the rv "repair" because I wanted to show them what had been done,,, but in this case not done. When I went back to the RV place to question them about the repairs not working their response was " Well why the H,,, didn't you take it to Airstream in the first place !" At CanAm they showed me where things were done wrong, like not enough clamps on the water lines and several other things done wrong. The bill from the RV place was almost 90% labour.
Not to change the spirit of this thread, but a $5000 bill and a response like that from the original "repair" shop would land them in Small Claims Court in about 13 nanoseconds in my world. Does Canada have the concept of Small Claims Court? (That's a question, not a political observation). At any rate, I hope you got some satisfaction for all that money misspent at the first place (in the form of some kind of refund, etc).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
What's this saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
No I changed my mind. Girls can't do anything mechanical, read books or learn to read a wiring diagram.

Go for it girl!!! DIY
This post starts out on the wrong side of an old argument and ends up on my side of it. What's going on here?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
To answer the OP question, any competent electrician or plumber should have the skills. The trick is to hire the right one. Somebody mentioned a "handyman" type. That guy/gal may take it on as an interesting problem and enjoy the break from the daily routine. There's a pretty good article in Reader's Digest a couple months back about Handymen. Check out some of the ideas there.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote