Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Funny that I just called Windish RV in Denver today about a plumbing issue.
The tech I got said, "Let me get you our Airstream guy." He gave me great info to get me through a minor repair at home, vs. driving the 100 miles to take it in.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
AWCHIEF: I took the bills from the rv "repair" because I wanted to show them what had been done,,, but in this case not done. When I went back to the RV place to question them about the repairs not working their response was " Well why the H,,, didn't you take it to Airstream in the first place !" At CanAm they showed me where things were done wrong, like not enough clamps on the water lines and several other things done wrong. The bill from the RV place was almost 90% labour.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you, Bad experience for sure, glad you were finally able to get everything fixed properly.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #18
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
AWCHIEF: I took the bills from the rv "repair" because I wanted to show them what had been done,,, but in this case not done. When I went back to the RV place to question them about the repairs not working their response was " Well why the H,,, didn't you take it to Airstream in the first place !" At CanAm they showed me where things were done wrong, like not enough clamps on the water lines and several other things done wrong. The bill from the RV place was almost 90% labour.
Not to change the spirit of this thread, but a $5000 bill and a response like that from the original "repair" shop would land them in Small Claims Court in about 13 nanoseconds in my world. Does Canada have the concept of Small Claims Court? (That's a question, not a political observation). At any rate, I hope you got some satisfaction for all that money misspent at the first place (in the form of some kind of refund, etc).

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
What's this saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
No I changed my mind. Girls can't do anything mechanical, read books or learn to read a wiring diagram.

Go for it girl!!! DIY
This post starts out on the wrong side of an old argument and ends up on my side of it. What's going on here?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #20
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
To answer the OP question, any competent electrician or plumber should have the skills. The trick is to hire the right one. Somebody mentioned a "handyman" type. That guy/gal may take it on as an interesting problem and enjoy the break from the daily routine. There's a pretty good article in Reader's Digest a couple months back about Handymen. Check out some of the ideas there.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Jim and Susan, Yes we have small claims courts in Canada, but at that time I was driving tractor trailer long haul and I would have had to take time of work which would have cost me that much anyway, it was several months after the repairs were done that I found out they didn't work because I had stored it on their lot for the winter. Education is expensive lol.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
mimiandrews and Bev1940 I started my reply with an idea which too many of you gals have: "I'm a girl and repair and trailer maintenance is for guys because they are better at it." That obviously is not so. My experience with women is they will generally do pretty much of anything they set their mind to, while many men will solve problems to their current level of expertise then opt out and go pay somebody. That said, study it, try it, learn some more, try some more and you'll eventually fix it. Of this I'm certain!!!
Your example of leaks proves my point. You identified the problem but handed off the solution to somebody else. Why not think: Wrong clamps = parts problem?. Wrong fitting = parts problem.? Clamped too loose = how do I tighten with screw driver but ( PEX clamps take a special tool) Should there be more than one and clamped how far from the fitting = open the book. In your situation you had to seek remediation ( which rarely works) and that is yet another reason why you DIY. Expensive lesson but one which I'd bet you'[ll not repeat. You go girl.