Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Power Washing your Airstream

I don't recall any recent threads regarding washing/waxing and caring for the outside of an Airstream. I have been tempted to just pull into a self service bay and give it a quick blast in between the large washing projects (it takes me a good four hours to wash our 30 footer) but I am hesitant.
Your input will be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pesonaly I would not but it is your trailer. Close all vents and windows and be careful where you aim the sprayer. Might be a good way to leak check if not carefully done.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've done that with no problem. Also, in Las Vegas this summer I had it professionally washed by a company that supplies there own water and equipment. They were quite familiar with Airstreams and never got to close with the power gun staying about 5 feet back. It was hand washed & power rinsed without any adverse effects, beautiful job.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've done it dozens of times. Just keep the spray head a few feet off the surface as you would with your car. Use the wax or clear coat protectant and spot free rinse. No harm at all.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Treat it like a car.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Thank You All.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I have an electric powered power washer at home that I inherited after my wife's father passed away this summer. I tried it on our Airstream but found it didn't get off all the dirt and I reverted back to the soapy wash mop on a four foot stick and a hose with a multi position nozzle. Maybe I should try the power washer for rinsing but the hose/sprayer works fine. We tried a self service car wash once but its a pain to tow to one of these. We may use these on our future extensive travels.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
I don't hesitate to use the self serve bays after being somewhere on the gulf coast, otherwise, I wash it at home.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
KOA in Sudbury On has a trailer wash station.
Essentially a power wash; Just don't get in too close with the nozzle unless you can see the effect of high pressure is not going to do any damage
JCW
Old 09-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Schaumburg , Illinois
pressure washing the AS

Good evening

The whole point of using a pressure washer is to have the nozzle close enough to the surface to power blast off the crud and corruption stuck on the surface. If you are being careful to keep the nozzle far enough away as to reduce the pressure, and also reduce the effect that pressure washing was intended for, than you might as well just use a hose and hand wash.

The AS trailer that has the pressure laminated clear coating could be blasted off sooner than you notice the damage happening. that is not a risk I am willing to take. A scratch in the surface might be just enough for the pressure washer to do is damage. Many gas operated washers produce 3,000 lbs. of pressure.

See attached video for a super exterior cleaning.
https://youtu.be/DORjz_fz8xY?t=328
(long long honeymoon extreme exterior) on youtube

"Peace in our Time"
Pressdr
Old 09-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I have an electric powered power washer at home that I inherited after my wife's father passed away this summer. I tried it on our Airstream but found it didn't get off all the dirt and I reverted back to the soapy wash mop on a four foot stick and a hose with a multi position nozzle. Maybe I should try the power washer for rinsing but the hose/sprayer works fine. We tried a self service car wash once but its a pain to tow to one of these. We may use these on our future extensive travels.

Kelvin
That's basically where I am at. I tried to was it one time at a self service pressure washer but unless I put the soapy brush to it it wouldn't come clean. And of course I was worried about getting real close an blasting it.
So I guess I will give it a gentle wash down on while on the road and continue with my routine at home.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
KOA in Sudbury On has a trailer wash station.
Essentially a power wash; Just don't get in too close with the nozzle unless you can see the effect of high pressure is not going to do any damage
JCW
Hey, JCW;

WHERE do you find a KOA in Sudbury?????
I was there again, two weeks ago, and the only two campspots are 'Carol's' and "CAW, Mine, Mill Campspot, both at Richard's Lake on Hwy 69.
(Carol's is the nicer of the two.)

My recent KOA book only shows the nearest 'spot' at Sturgeon Falls, on Hwy 17 East of Sudbury.
Wish that there was a KOA close to Sudbury.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Pressure washer vs brush washer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
That's basically where I am at. I tried to was it one time at a self service pressure washer but unless I put the soapy brush to it it wouldn't come clean. And of course I was worried about getting real close an blasting it.
So I guess I will give it a gentle wash down on while on the road and continue with my routine at home.
We have done both methods with our units over the years. I like the soft brush on the pole and microfiber mit best with warm soapy water. I find it is faster than trying to use power washer, and less concern about pressure issues. Plus, the pressure method does not get off the dirt and grime as efficiently as the old soap method...we use the microfiber towels to dry...I can get our 25' done in an hour or less. (unless wife is helping; then it takes 2 hours!)

I have seen some older threads about some folks who also wax and seal regularly. I don't remember the type wax, but will look up in a month or so when I am back in TX. Also, will look at the caulking around the vents, AC, etc to see if replacing is needed.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Hey, JCW;

WHERE do you find a KOA in Sudbury?????
I was there again, two weeks ago, and the only two campspots are 'Carol's' and "CAW, Mine, Mill Campspot, both at Richard's Lake on Hwy 69.
(Carol's is the nicer of the two.)

My recent KOA book only shows the nearest 'spot' at Sturgeon Falls, on Hwy 17 East of Sudbury.
Wish that there was a KOA close to Sudbury.
You're right Mel..don't know where my head was...

It is in the Soo! I stay there every trip north to Thunder Bay
They also offer trailer and truck weigh services. I think they bring the scale pads right to the campsite.
JCW