Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Schaumburg , Illinois
Good morning AS owners...
If you did not have the opportunity to watch the recommended video on cleaning your AS, the best soap to use is "Dawn, Ultra 2" dish soap" This works the best for cleaning the outside surfaces. I use a soft brush with a micro fiber clothe wrapped around over the bristles.

Its best to watch the video

https://youtu.be/DORjz_fz8xY?t=328

"Peace in Our Time"
Pressdr

Old 10-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
Been using the Province parks for the past 10 days. Very nice, most electric but not on site water, nice showers. Cost $28-30 including park entrance and value of our dollar.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We attended an Alumapalooza at the factory the year we purchased our Airstream. I attended a seminar on Airstream care and cleaning put on by one of Airstream's employees. He said that with care a pressure washer is fine.
That being said, not all pressure washers are the same. We own one that I used to use in my business to wash cars. It is a high volume, low pressure pressure washer with different nozzles for different uses. What makes this particular pressure washer so special is that it has a diesel fired water heater built in.
With a wide fan nozzle and hot water, there is simply no better way to clean an Airstream! Grease and grime simply melt away...
There is not enough pressure to do any real harm either. I've washed wood with no issues at all.
Sometimes it is all in the equipment!
Bruce
Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I use a pressure washer to remove the large amounts of dust and dirt that accumulate when going off-road (Burning Man, gravel roads, etc). This helps save water (we're in a perpetual drought here in CA) over using a hose and a spray nozzle. Once the worst accumulations are gone, a soapy terry towel seems to work best.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A hand wash isn't generally practical when traveling, and it is important to remove dirt and contaminants such as salt as soon as possible. Pressure sprays range from cutting concrete to rinsing your back in the shower. SENSIBLE use of a commercial car wash pressure wand is quite practical and safe. It's only Rocket Science 101 to hold it off enough to avoid damage. I do a through hand wash with a soft brush when I return to my own driveway.

Dawn or any other dishwashing detergent should not be used routinely. It will remove the protective wax and lubricants and age the clear coat prematurely. A quality car wash with wax will clean just fine (treat tar separately) and extend the effectiveness of the wax job.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My trailer doesn't have a clear coat (anodized skin). Most of the time a high quality car soap (not from corner parts store; in general) with a long handle truck brush and two buckets is sufficient.

I add Calgon Water Softener to soap and rinse buckets.

The above assumes I started with a clean trailer and am now just maintaining it.

When I bought it (used) I used Blue Beacon Truck Wash after having manager explain concerns to line personnel. This took off years of dirt and grime. Those folks have a lot invested in what chemical combinations work.

We "two-stepped" the trailer. Acid followed by alkaline. An anodized surface takes on mineral stains. This cleaned it satisfactorily. Now it was "clean" and the above brush/bucket combo works wherever I am.

As a note, I'd work over the awnings, wheels/tires and undercarriage first. Then the body.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Texas Kicker CCD28

2005 28' International CCD
Moreland , Georgia
Pressure washing my Airstream

Pressure washers are detrimental to your car and your Airstream. The power of the water slowly over many washing eats away the paint and wax on your car and eats away the coating and dulls the aluminum on your Airstream. I personally, after each trip with my Airstream, wash my Airstream with water, ammonia and dish water soap. I use a mop with a handle and use a ladder to get to the roof. The entire washing takes usually about 1.5 hours but my Airstream, a 2005 International CCD, is still shiny and looks good according to many people who have seen it.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathis55 View Post
Pressure washers are detrimental to your car and your Airstream.
Hmmm. I have only been using a power washer on our Airstream since it was new 14 years ago. I started with it on cars many years prior. As far as I can determine, there has been no detrimental effect from using the power washer on either the Airstream or the cars. Of course, I do wax (or use a polish such as Walbernize) regularly.

Tim
Old 10-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
One good way to dry it is to use a leaf blower. Most high end limo companies etc use them to dry there cars off.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
One good way to dry it is to use a leaf blower. Most high end limo companies etc use them to dry there cars off.

Now that sounds like a great idea.
I will be washing my AS this week and try it. Will post report after.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Leaf blower...great idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Now that sounds like a great idea.
I will be washing my AS this week and try it. Will post report after.
I like this idea...I just got a Ryobi battery powered blower, which I love...light weight and uses same batteries I use in my trimmer and power tools...great use idea to dry the AS!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I like this idea...I just got a Ryobi battery powered blower, which I love...light weight and uses same batteries I use in my trimmer and power tools...great use idea to dry the AS!
I got that suggestion from a world famous car detail-er who frequents www.the370z.com forum. He used to wash the Presidential Limos and left a post on how to achieve perfect car washes with minimal touching. If you find that post he also has some youtube videos. Alot of sport car owners are insane when it comes to the washing/waxing part.