Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Power Tongue Jack Wiring

Someone may already have answered such a question, but I just installed a Barker jack which is powered by a single wire connected directly to one of the trailer batteries. All works fine but I just ran the wire into the battery box door which is not really a good idea. 1) it looks crappy 2) it is subject to abrasion and thus potentially shorting out.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would go to the 12 volt power distribution connection inside the trailer, usually on the inside front wall. There you will find the battery cable coming to the fuse panel. At a point before the fuse panel you should find a terminal that you can pick up power from. The input side of the disconnect switch is on. Connect and FUSE your wire there and run the wire out through the body following the umbilical cord wires. Once outside secure the wire along the frame with tie wraps as needed.

Preferably use #10 wire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Will look into that. BTW the instructions with jack said # 12 wire but I noted that it was smaller than the lead wire from the jack. Will switch to # 10 when I redo. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by oledawg View Post
Someone may already have answered such a question, but I just installed a Barker jack which is powered by a single wire connected directly to one of the trailer batteries. All works fine but I just ran the wire into the battery box door which is not really a good idea. 1) it looks crappy 2) it is subject to abrasion and thus potentially shorting out.

Ideas?

Thanks.
That is how the new trailers are wired wit a 30 amp inline slow blow fuse. Did your wire have a loop terminal? If you are worried about chaffing put a wiring loom over the wire, cheap insurance against a short.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote