Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
If you read the very small writing on the elect jack stem, it tells you what to do to reactivate the connection on the jack.

right off the bat, you DO need to connect the umbilical cord to the truck. You should also have a thin black wire that connects with the positive cable to one of the batteries. But you have to connect to the 7 pin connector.
Can you explain that???

I can think of no reason why the umbilical needs to be hooked to the truck. On the FCs and Safaris that I have seen, it's a simple DC series circuit, with power coming directly from the positive terminal of the battery, and I suspect that it is frame ground (although, it could also have a ground wire going directly to the negative terminal). I am away from my FC, so I can't verify which.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
As long as we are here let me ask this ...New electric jack, wired to power from the vehicle. Jack only works when the vehicle key in on the "on' position, and the 7 way connected. Unplug the 7 way and no power to jack. It seems to me that the electric jack and it's light, should work at all times whether hooked to TV or not. Am I correct in assuming I should run a black wire back to the + battery in the rear to have full time power?
Thanks,
Barry

Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
As long as we are here let me ask this ...New electric jack, wired to power from the vehicle. Jack only works when the vehicle key in on the "on' position, and the 7 way connected. Unplug the 7 way and no power to jack. It seems to me that the electric jack and it's light, should work at all times whether hooked to TV or not. Am I correct in assuming I should run a black wire back to the + battery in the rear to have full time power?
Thanks,
Barry
Why did u wire to TV to jack? Do you have battery in AS?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks,
Barry
Barry, assuming there is only a single wire, then yes, it should go to the batteries (positive terminal). Check your documentation. But yes, the jack should work at all times.

I've never heard of the jack being connected via the umbilical. That could make for some awkward moments when the ball is above the hitch.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Channing I didn't say I wired it, I said that is the way it's wired, and yes there is a batt. in the trailer. Thanks Drat. I will rewire it to the batt. tomorrow I hope. It's always nice to get help rather than silly questions with out positive content.....
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Channing I didn't say I wired it, I said that is the way it's wired, and yes there is a batt. in the trailer. Thanks Drat. I will rewire it to the batt. tomorrow I hope. It's always nice to get help rather than silly questions with out positive content.....
Kewl!

Not trying to diss ya!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
BTW, I assume from your handle that you're a birder. I do a lot of wildlife (bird) photography.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Yes 25 years a falconer, and raptor propagator. We just lost our old (12yrs) GWG , man I miss him..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ricky and Gruff 60+days.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	194588  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Falconry seems interesting. I know nothing about it, but had an opportunity to watch a brace of Harris' Hawks work out on cottontails. Their teamwork was really special. Sorry about the GWG. They are special!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Yes HH are kind of a neat species. I have bred North American , and Finnish Goshawks along with European Sparrowhawks , Sharpshins, and Eurasian Eagle Owls
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Barry, let us know how things worked out. BTW, while you're at it, you might consider changing to an automotive spade type fuse holder. I am always pulling my round holder apart when I reinstall the propane cover, as the wire runs right under it. I'm going to change mine when I replace the batteries.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Other critical area is the jack ground. There's a star washer that has to get through the paint to the trailer frame. This is an easy circuit to check as the positive wire and fuse do go directly to the battery so it's easy to check with my multimeter. Think we often "assume" the ground is OK. My experience is it's often the ground.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Barry, let us know how things worked out. BTW, while you're at it, you might consider changing to an automotive spade type fuse holder..
So still trying to figure this electric jack out.

Hooked to TV 12v electric jack works. (This is w/o shore power)
Unplugged from TV and with main 110 breaker off jack doesn't work

Afterwords I plugged in the shore power and turned the main break back on and unhooked the TV ..jacks worked.

Unhooked shore power but left the main break on... jack doesn't work.
Arrrrrg! Trying to avoid running yet another line to the battery but it's looking like I may have to.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
"Trying to avoid running yet another line to the battery but it's looking like I may have to."

Interesting! It sounds like the jack is connected to a buss that is only hot when the converter is on, or if the TV is supplying power to that buss when the umbilical is connected. I am only familiar with jacks that are wired directly to the battery or the battery buss. I wonder if someone either requested a special install, or did it that way themselves.

My two cents worth is to wire it to either the battery or battery buss. I would however find where it is connected, and completely disconnect that circuit. If you just cut the wire, there's a chance that it could short to ground at a later date. You could also put a crimp cap over the power side of the cut. I don't know if I am helping or not, but that's the approach I would take.