Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
Possible to restore in 3mos?

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. My husband and I recently fell in love with the airstream rv and the community of airstream enthusiasts. We are looking to buy one to live in full time. We were planning on taking a year to search and restore one, but my husband just got a job offer in Oregon and we might need to leave Feb 1st, 2016. We have two small children and two dogs that will need to have a safe home to travel in by that time. Is this feasible? We have $10k to spend but I was hoping to use some of that for restoration costs too. There is a 31ft Excella for sale near us that we are going to look at. The frame, panels, axels- overall body is in good shape. The interior still has all the walls and appliances but the owner says its a gut job. It looks like the walls and flooring def need work. He is only asking $2,400. Obo.

Am I crazy for considering this excella, knowing our time limit? I do have to say that it will be sitting in my dad's warehouse garage with plenty space and tools to use. He is retired and will be able to spend time working on it everyday. We will work with him a few evenings and weekends every week. We just need it in livable condition to get us from FL to OR. Once in OR we can continue cosmetic repairs.

Here is the link: https://daytona.craigslist.org/rvs/5180754568.html

Any thoughts, suggestions would be great.
PuraVida567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuraVida567 View Post
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. My husband and I recently fell in love with the airstream rv and the community of airstream enthusiasts. We are looking to buy one to live in full time. We were planning on taking a year to search and restore one, but my husband just got a job offer in Oregon and we might need to leave Feb 1st, 2016. We have two small children and two dogs that will need to have a safe home to travel in by that time. Is this feasible? We have $10k to spend but I was hoping to use some of that for restoration costs too. There is a 31ft Excella for sale near us that we are going to look at. The frame, panels, axels- overall body is in good shape. The interior still has all the walls and appliances but the owner says its a gut job. It looks like the walls and flooring def need work. He is only asking $2,400. Obo.

Am I crazy for considering this excella, knowing our time limit? I do have to say that it will be sitting in my dad's warehouse garage with plenty space and tools to use. He is retired and will be able to spend time working on it everyday. We will work with him a few evenings and weekends every week. We just need it in livable condition to get us from FL to OR. Once in OR we can continue cosmetic repairs.

The following items would need work and/or replacing, unless they have aleady recently been done.

Clearcoat paint job (clearcoat only lasts about 5 to 6 years), axles (torsion axles last about 25 years or less if not moved some what often, like once a year), all the exterior gaskets, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, possibly an AC shroud, a water heater, the furnace overhauled, new internal gaskets for the water pump, drapes, water filter replacement, shock absorbers, and who knows what else as determined by a physical inspection.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Oregon can be pretty wet and cold in February. I can't imagine living inside and restoring a trailer at the same time under those conditions, especially with kids.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It will probably cost you a lot more than $7600 to restore. If a trailer has been anywhere near salt water, like Florida, serious frame rust is a real possibility. If you have not done restoration work before you are taking a big gamble.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I live in Eugene, OR, and welcome you to the forum and soon to Oregon!

Living full time in a trailer anywhere with two small children and a dog is challenging (which I'm sure you've thought of ). There is a forum member going by the name of "BoldAdventure" who is full-timing with his wife and two small children. He would be a wonderful person for you to connect with as he is living it!

My experience: Having had an excellent contractor do an extensive remodel of our large home, while living in it with our two children, I vowed to never do so again. It was so stressful living amidst a remodel. There are no words for it. And I'm a patient guy and don't stress easily. I would never recommend it to others and imagining a remodel going on inside a trailer of 275 square feet or so with children is truly not something I would ever consider. I'm not mincing words because that wouldn't be helpful to you.

It seems to me that dealing with the strains of moving, a new job, new routines, finding places to get food, finding health care providers, meeting new people, etc....seems like enough to handle for anyone! Perhaps renting an apartment for a few months, buying an Airstream once you are settled in Oregon (there are always Airstreams for sale, like anything else) would be an idea.

Anyway, there are my thoughts. Sounds like you are on a great life adventure with whatever you decide. I wish you the absolute best with your move and Airstream whenever it all happens!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
People spend years and thousands over budget on restorations and still never finish. Many eventually give up, sell out and move on to the next endless project.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I'm thinking you will be under budget since the current owner has given you a heads up that it is a gut job. I don't see how one person with occasional help can get the basic restoration done in 3 months. You might want to spend a little more and buy a used unit that has everything working.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Drive up to OR and buy one there. Then you don't have to wonder if your trailer will make it from FL to OR.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have you seen / read this thread..?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/i...lp-122767.html

I do not know your husbands' "skill set" regarding metal work, wood work, electrical, LP or applicable plumbing skills, but, a professional could take 3 months with a 'helper' to pull that project off... In my unworthy opinion....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Just a calibration point, I bought a '73 on the Florida panhandle with the hopes of doing dome cosmetic fix-ups and then going camping. Cosmetic fixups revealed rotting floors and disintegrating frame and ultimately a shell-off. It has been three years with this as my "full-time" hobby, and I am finally to the point of rebuilding cabinetry. Every project takes triple the time and double the budget, and I will make the very broad brush statement that nearly every vintage trailer that has not already had a shell-off probably needs one.

If you want to be living in a trailer in three months, then spend your entire budget on a trailer that has already had all the "heavy lifting" done. Spend your 3 months identifying the best trailer you can find. It should have solid frame and floors, axles replaced, and functional appliances. Ask for documentation/pictures/receipts. The cosmetics can all wait until you save up some more money. Rennovating a 40 year old trailer is not cheap! You will burn through $10,000 really fast.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The proposed price for the "total gut" project trailer is fair based on other similar sales I've head about.

However you will never finish the restoration job in three months for $10,000 less the cost of the trailer. Successful trailer restorations of this scope (total redo) take more time and more money then you say you have and are generally only successfully completed by individuals who actually enjoy the restoration process and are not just looking for a "cheap" Airstream to get into.

If your total budget is really only $10,000, and you need it in three months, I suggest you try a different plan.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
I wish I could tell you it was possible...

In July I bought a1973 Airstream Ambassador from the original owners. I was told everything worked and there was no floor rot etc.
After spending a few hour looking it over We found that there was floor rot, and lots of work ahead of us. That being said I had no idea...😥
I have spent 3 1/2 months working everyday at least 8 hours or more, and ours was not a total inside restore!
As others have said it takes a lot more money and time than you think it will.
We have taken it on a "dry run" camping a couple of times, however it really was a dry run because we still don't have running water. 😂
We have months of work left to finish sealing all the windows, doors, vents...
Having said all of that, I really love our Airstream. I just want you to realize that it is very time consuming, and a lot more expensive than you can imagine. I don't want you to be unhappy and stressed out by your Airstream experience. By all means buy an Airstream...when you have plenty of time and $.
Amybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
We replaced every single appliance, including toilet, blinds/curtains, A/C and furnace. Replaced all lights with LED ( inside and out). Painted everything including countertops, and replaced carpet with cork-like vinyl. Re-upholstered everything. Put new graphic and moldings outside, and had a new propane tank cover made. New tires and aluminum wheels and had it polished. We did all of the work ourselves (except A/C install and most of the polishing), and we spent close to $12,000. That is on top of the !2,000 we paid for it. If yours is a 'complete gut job', you will have to forego something to get it done for $10,000. Ours was totally useable from the day we bought it (except for bad fridge), but we just wanted something nicer. It could be done in 3 months if you worked on it every day. We took a year because of still working full time. Don't get discouraged, but be realistic. it sure is worth it when your done!
danjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
wow I wasn't expecting so many responses. Thank you everyone for your information and encouraging words. We understand that full time RVing alone is challenging, but RVing with children becomes a true adventure! And we are excited about it. My husband is a USCG marine mechanic veteran and grew up helping his father with the family's home renovation business. My father built his garage to restore classic cars. So both are very skilled craftsmen and there is no doubt they are capable of restoring the airstream. Time is are only problem.

Thank you Meeks for letting me know about "BoldAdventure" I will definitely reach out to them .

I guess we will continue our search for an airstream without SO much work even if it costs a little more. And keep in mind the possibility of buying one in OR. I was just hoping to have our little home on the road somewhat put together before we left so the kids could have the comfort of their own things.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Unless the resto job is a labor of love for you. A lot of people have the unrealistic belief they are making an investment in a restoration job. You would be lucky to break even and that is not counting your time. You could spend the 10 grand on a newer AS or one that someone else has done a lot of the work on and be ahead of the game.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #16

1969 27' Overlander
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Hope you know what you are doing. So Many people start out to restore and find its not their cup of tea in no time short the hit a wall and have it all torn apart and unable to complete it and it ends up auctioned or sold. Though your story sounds like a remedy for divorce and I would say don't do it unless you are fully committed and get along like 2 peas in a pod with kids and dogs. Yikes. The money sounds about right. But the intentions maybe short lived. Never heard of a live in restoration and no one didn't try to kill the other one. Dogs may go on strike! Rethink that one.
Boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
wow I wasn't expecting so many responses. Thank you everyone for your information and encouraging words. We understand that full time RVing alone is challenging, but RVing with children becomes a true adventure! And we are excited about it. My husband is a USCG marine mechanic veteran and grew up helping his father with the family's home renovation business. My father built his garage to restore classic cars. So both are very skilled craftsmen and there is no doubt they are capable of restoring the airstream. Time is are only problem.

Thank you Meeks for letting me know about "BoldAdventure" I will definitely reach out to them .

I guess we will continue our search for an airstream without SO much work even if it costs a little more. And keep in mind the possibility of buying one in OR. I was just hoping to have our little home on the road somewhat put together before we left so the kids could have the comfort of their own things.
I can't imagine living in an airstream full time with 2 small children let along with pets also , airstreams were designed for 2 people to live or travel in
As far as your budget goes I spent 4K to buy my 1972 overlander and have spent over 15k just for new upgrades so far mostly all work done by me and my wife and I am no where near done but of course I want everything first class as this will be our winter home when my wife retires , I want to head to the gulf coast in Texas or Louisiana for some great fishing
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

So many people on this site always repeat the "Airstreams are designed for two people". Sorry, but that's nonsense. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. This mantra seems to get repeated even more when folks mention small kids. When I first started posting, people told me, we'd go crazy, and it's impossible. Well, THEY ARE WRONG.

That being said, in your time frame, I would avoid and highly recommend NOT restoring an older Airstream. Depending on your budget, I would look for a unit produced after the year 2002.

While restoring an older unit can lead to greater customization, you have to consider all the things that will need repairing and upgrading.

We chose and found a 2007 27ft front bedroom Airstream International Signature for under 30K. We had one small area where the floor needed a patch but other than that it was livable from the start.

We made a few upgrades, new batteries, new tires and solar panels. We reupholstered our cushions, put down new laminate flooring and remodeled our bedroom.

With the slightly newer unit, we could get started on the customizing.

We made the space fit our needs. One of the things I did was remodel the bedroom. I work on the road fulltime, and wanted a dedicated work area. We also wanted a little more space for the kids on those rainy days.

My wife and I are used to sleeping in a small bed, we cuddle and enjoy it. So we built an extra large twin/lounge and a standing desk.

It really changed the experience and feel of the bedroom area. The space on the floor, really makes it feel open.

I can still stand and work, and there is room for our oldest to play on the floor and sit in her bean bag chair. I often enjoy sitting in the bean bag chair to read on the floor, with my legs stretched out.

We added shelves to our wardrobe and other #Airganization items as we call it to suit our needs.

We even customized the fridge, it now has magnetic fronts, the lower half is a chalkboard for the kids and the top half a white board for mom and dad.

[IMG]https=2//scontent-dfw1-1=1cdninstagram=1com/hphotos-xaf1/t51=12885-15/e35/11875530_499285553564690_1130638598_n=1jpg[/IMG]

Everyone has different needs and a different lifestyle. To be honest, we just don't have that much crap. We're minimalist. There are single retirees on this site with more stuff than a family of 4. Be careful whose advice you take seriously. Look for folks who share a similar experience or are living close to how you want to live. Ask their advice and plan in a way that reflects your lifestyle, values, and needs.

It's important to think about how you will live, and start visualizing that. And thinking about what you actually need to live.

You will be surprised to discover you can do with a lot less, be happier and enjoy more time as a family.

So to conclude this, I would look for a unit that you could focus on customizing rather than completely remodeling/restoring. 3 months is unrealistic.

We purchased our Airstream in August 2014 and it took me a number of months to get it to where it is now. And I wasn't restoring it, and still working around a work schedule.

Good luck in your adventures. And if you want to pick my brain, you can find me faster on FB: https://www.facebook.com/boldadventure/
Old 10-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
So many people on this site always repeat the "Airstreams are designed for two people". Sorry, but that's nonsense. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. This mantra seems to get repeated even more when folks mention small kids. When I first started posting, people told me, we'd go crazy, and it's impossible. Well, THEY ARE WRONG.
I agree completely! Everyone has the right to their own opinions. And when you make a post on a forum you have to be open to people having different beliefs than your own.

Three months after we were married my husband and I took one week and traveled from FL to CA with only a sleeping bag and a tent. It was the best bonding experience as newlyweds. We were forced to get to know each other and learn how to live with one another in tight spaces with out loosing our heads. Since then we have tent camped in the snow, rain, by the beach and in a canyon. We are not afraid of a little adventure! And neither our the kids. Our daughter traveled to my husband's home country of CR when she was only 11mos old. She took her first steps in the Bahamas while on a cruise when she was 1yr old.

I know there will be an adjustment period for everyone when we move into the RV, but we will find a way to make the best of it for our children.

BoldAdventure- your RV renovation came out wonderfully. I love the shoe hangers in the closet to hold smaller items. We have a standing desk at home and it is the best. Your little ones are so cute.

Thank you everyone for your advice and tips. We have decided to increased our budget and are looking for a newer model with less work. We also discovered my husband's future employer has an opening in the SE that doesn't begin until April. Which is closer to family in FL and gives us more time to customize our new RV. We will keep you updated once we made our purchase
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via ICQ to CraigFulton
I thought my restoration would be 3 months and $4000. I'm doing a shell off, full monte (as they call it on here) and I'm now more realistically at 6 months and $7000. But I do it all myself and that cost is materials only.