Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

2017 28' International
Dripping Springs , Texas
Possible Fire Damage?

Hello Everyone! My wife and I are newly retired and have been enthusiastic and humble A/S newbies for the last year. We've enjoyed and utilized the heck out of these forums. We own a 2017 International Serenity 28 trailer and love it.

Unfortunately, our storage facility recently experienced a fire that completely destroyed at least 10 trailers/RVs. Our trailer was

fortuitously (for us anyway) blocked by a bigger rig that only minimally burned. Our trailer doesn't have any obvious (significant) damage but I'm not actually allowed to get close (or inside) to perform a detailed inspection (or move it) until the fire marshal and insurance folks complete their investigations. It seems unlikely that we'd be lucky enough to have escaped any damage but we can hope.

So this gets to the reason for the post - What should I look for once I'm allowed access the trailer? And who can help once I give her my own full inspection? Obvious damage is one thing, but what about the not-so-obvious, i.e., heat damage to the plumbing or electrical that was transmitted through the shell, tire/wheel damage, interior smoke damage, etc. And who should/could help with this type of investigation? Airstream? My A/S dealer or another type of company?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Seismos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Sorry to hear. I assume you have contacted your insurance company. If it was me, I would take it to your dealer, if you feel they are competent, or to JC, if that is an option for you.
We have a 28 Serenity on order for delivery in April. How do you like your Serenity? What are you towing with?
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
You should be able to see visible signs of damage on the exterior before any plumbing or electrical melts. I’d have a look at the roof and if there is any discoloration at all to the aluminum or clear coat (aside from soot that should just come right off with water and a soft brush) or melted AC shroud or vent lids etc I’d want someone to pull the interior ceiling panel and inspect the wiring. If all the windows and vents were closed, the interior may not have any smoke smell, but it really depends on the fire behavior.

There is athread on here about “The Phoenix” which is a trailer restored by a member here after it was in a similar situation to yours. Worth a read.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ud-131783.html

My fire experience was a little more obvious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1DE4218-F45D-47A7-802C-3F7480A75D9C.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	306816   Click image for larger version

Name:	7388D653-B740-4116-82B2-FEAE716A1E35.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	306817  

redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

2017 28' International
Dripping Springs , Texas
Thank you.

And whoa - your fire experience was definitely more extensive than mine (more along the lines of the 10 or so vehicles in and/or closer to the fire). It's been 10 days and the fire investigator still won't allow anyone in the facility yet. I'm a little anxious and can't wait to check things out - I'll definitely follow your advice.
The article on the Phoenix was darn good. Thank you so much for the link.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

2017 28' International
Dripping Springs , Texas
I've contacted my insurance, Airstream and my dealer (my agent had another Airstream in the same fire that's a total loss). I plan to drive straight to the dealer (if possible) once they allow me to tow it out of the storage facility.

On the plus side we've really enjoyed the Serenity (after we worked out a few minor bugs (batteries and minor leaks, etc.). The dealer took care of everything quickly (Of course if they had taken care of the batteries when it was sitting on their lot...). The issues also afforded me the opportunity to learn more about the rig than I would have otherwise. It's definitely a learning experience. We upgraded the wheels and tires to 16" Sendels and Michelins and they have been great.

We're towing with a 2017 Ford F250 Diesel which has been phenomenal. It may be the nicest vehicle I've ever owned...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
My fire story is in the process of having a happy ending, and I hope yours does too. I’d love to see some photos when you are allowed to get your trailer.
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote