Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Pointers for shell-on subfloor replacement

Hello Airstreamers. So after careful consideration, I'm going to try to do a shell-on subfloor replacement on my 1976 27' Overlander. I had considered shell off using some rental space, but given that I am doing this by myself, I feel like a gantry / shell off is just too much a task for 1 person to do.

I've seen videos about people doing shell on subfloor repair by cutting the subfloor into halves, but I do have some worries about whether this will compromise the structural integrity.

I've read a couple posts about the curb-side part of the shell popping up and outward a few inches on some models, which is frightening, but has allowed some people too successfully slide in whole pieces of subfloor without having to hack them in half.

Is this something you guys think I can anticipate? My thinking is I remove the screws holding the existing rotted subfloor, removing the bolts securing the C-channel to the frame, cutting the existing subfloor in half, throwing shims in there to avoid so much weight on the c-channel, placing temporary bolts to hold the shell onto the frame, and then after the frame has been de-rusted and treated for rust prevention, attempting to lightly jack up one side of the shell to slip the subfloors in and praying the whole thing doesn't come crashing down.

Are there any flaws in my thought process? Any suggestions would be amazing. Thanks!
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
very doable. I did this on my 73 safari. New subfloor went in whole. I did Jack up the rear to get the rear piece in. Temporary bolts work great to keep things together. Straps about mid way up the wall help to keep things together when you work on a section. You will have to push out a section to slip the floor in place. I did the rear piece first, then front piece. Save the piece where the wheel wells are for last.
Good luck
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Thanks a million for the reply! So when you say straps midway up the wall, are you talking about rib to rib? Any pointers on how to safely jack the shell without bending anything? I am also having a hard time visualizing how I would even jack it. If it's sitting on the C-channel onto the frame, is there anywhere to even put the jack?

Thank you for any clarity. I'm super relieved to hear this is possible!
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote