Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Pofolks restoration

Oh golly how I wish I could I hire out the restoration of my 71 Caravel to Inland RV or other pros but my budget says otherwise. It is in very good original condition with everything working, just needs some cosmetic repairs.
I have ordered and received some Southern Shine polish from Stephanie, ( bless her heart) but will wait till next spring for application since the trailer will be outside thru the winter.
I think, by and large, most AS owners are not rich folks but rather common folks who have come to realize that AS rv's are the absolute best that the world has to offer and take great pride in them.
If you have any money saving tips to offer on Pofolks restoration, your posts here will be much appreciated
InlandAndy's 'NEW INERIOR FOR $5' is a shining example of improvisation for those of us who are limited on funds.
Any tips on affordable improvements or money saving ideas will be welcome.
Tear double ply toilet tissue in half? Sure, why not?

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
P.S.

Other money saving tips such as campground memberships, diesel vs gas MH's, etc are welcome.

Rog
Old 10-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Campground memberships

Rog.. if you are looking for memberships .. ie .. Coast to coast.. these can be bought really cheap from members wishing to unload them.. we are members but did not know this , thus we are paying big bucks.. but we will recoup it when we are retired . Annie1976
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Hooray for Rog0525!

I read about these folks buying brand new CCD's and I'm thinking, "What do they do for a living and how can I get a job there, too?"

Well, you can buy parts off eBay or at a RV salvage yard. I bought my Reese dual cam, with the whole shootin' match for $300 essentially brand new at an RV salvage yard. Saved: $200?

I got a CO detector new in the package off eBay for $12, including shipping. Saved: $35?

Second tip is don't be in a hurry to fix things that aren't broke.

Third tip would be, always look for one more way to fix it. Example: One of the POs had used a galvanized drain plug in the fresh water tank. When it rusted out, the rust screwed up the threads on the way out. So, option 1 was a whole new tank installed by the Airstream Dealer. Option 2 is to have the local plastic welding guy install a new fitting after I take the tank out. Option 3 is to use a $15 tube of sealer to install a $4 plastic adaptor that still lets me drain the tank. Saved: $300?

Snag one of the variable speed polishers off Harbor Freight while they're on sale, for one thing. There's $20 you saved right there.

I've got a deal going next weekend where they're going to use my trailer in some kind of display, and pay me enough to cover the new power jack I bought. (I'm blaming a PO for that one, too!) I'm also planning to sell the perfectly good motor head off the old power jack, and get a few pennies back there, too.

I got a microwave that fits perfectly at Goodwill for $10. I got a nice 13" color TV at a yard sale for $5 and fixed it (I am not making this up!) with duct tape (it was the power switch) Saved: $200?

I got a string of awning lights at a 4th of July clearance sale on July 6th for $2.

Any fool can have a beautiful trailer for $90,000. Only a wise and patient person will have a nice trailer cheap!

-Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Right on Doc

In just this past year, I have bought 5 vintage AS TT's and sold 4 of them. Total investment: less than $10k including all repairs but not including labor. The sellers were happy, the buyers were pleased and I made a few bucks, but I was totally honest with all buyers. Hellsbells, it would br hard to lose money on a vintage AS
if you read carefully thru all the threads here
Now it seems everybody and his brother is jumping on the bandwagon. There are unscrupulous vintage sellers out there.
I could point you to some of them but that just isn't my style.
An honest seller has no need to to fabricate or embellish the condition of a used AS. They speak for themselves.
As for scrimping on the repairs, I see nothing wrong with saving a few bucks on the parts if they are same or as good as original, the buyer is informed and the Airstream is safely back on the road.
Not all of us can afford new AS's and I personally think a properly restored vintage unit is a better buy than a new one with all the bells and whistles.That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Rog
Old 10-05-2003, 10:47 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm with you Rog, vintage AS are the best! I'm not biased or anything. Of course, I guess if someone GAVE me a CCD I wouldn't turn it down either...

So what sort of cosmetics does your AS need on the inside? I have a little list going for mine as well. Luckily none of them prevent us from camping in it, so we are enjoying it as is. But eventually I would like to fix all the little things, like the delaminated plywood above the galley where a leak left some water damage, or refinish the board behind the bed which is worn with age. Little things like that bug me, but only a little...

I need to do an update polish, but I'm kind of waiting until others figure out the best way to protect the polished finish once it's done. I'd like to polish it once and not have to re-do it every year.

I have a solution for the sticky vinyl walls. Don't touch the walls. That's even cheaper than Andy's $5 solution!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:51 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Hey Happy

Thanks for your response. I'm not in the market for a campground membership. As Groucho Marx once said "I won't join any club who would have a member like me" or something like that.
My choice is to take the road less traveled, explore the backwoods and take my AS where most SOB's won't go. I like to explore old ghost towns and search for lost treasure with my metal detector where a dozen or so kids don't gather around and grab my beer can pull tabs before I can.
I bought the 18 footer mainly cause I can squeeze it into areas where longer units cannot go.
I'm not much on rallys and such. My AS is my ticket to explore rather than a showpiece. Maybe someday I'll strike it rich in an old mining town and buy me a new AS Skydeck.

Rog
Old 10-05-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Stef...Re cosmetics

Stef, the interior is fine other than worn cushions and the original..gag,,,shag carpet. The only repair needed other than polishing is the exterior area below the door. I posted this SHEET METAL thread a while back but nobody responded (insert whine here).

Just to drift off topic a moment, have you ID'd that trailer behind the cow yet?

Rog

Old 10-06-2003, 03:44 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Rog , my 71 Tradewind had the same rusted out spot on it .What I did was take a small 110 volt mig welder and started at the top where the metal was still solid,I worked my way down building it up as went.Once I had the hole covered I took a small right-angle air grinder with a sanding pad and metal finshed it .The repair is completely invisible , out of pocket $0, and about an hour of time.
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:48 AM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
71tradewind

Your mig welding solution sounds much better and easier than fabricating a new aluminum patch.
Any chance I might cruise down your way and have you mig mine in exchange for a case of your favorite beverage?
Can I get thru metro Detroit without surrendering my hubcaps?

Rog
Old 10-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Rog - Thanks for posting this thread! Its another chance for me to say how much I appreciate having this forum and all the folks who post here! So far I have been able to replace the inside door handle on our Argosy for $10.(because a kindly AS Forums member responded to my plea) instead of having to replace the whole door assembly and I got a tip here on a thread re: replacement vinyl banding for a very inexpensive price. I also got the wild urge to look into futon mattresses to replace our very uncomfortable foam cushions (wasn't that you Rog that posted the conversion on your front gaucho?) which I think will come out less expensive (and more comfortable) in the long run.

I did post a thread re: a book I heard about called the 10 Minute Tech, which supposedly gives lots of inexpensive and creative solutions to some RV problems. I think one member posted saying he had the book. Would love to hear more about it as is out of print. Maybe if someone sees this and has the book, he/she could give a few hints out of it for the enjoyment of all.

I'm always up for a way to save!!! Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Any time Rog,I actually live north of Detriot ,but funny you should mention hub caps in Detriot , last year I lost one of my full moons in downtown .....but it was due to bad roads.
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Rog, you need to come to NM sometime....

And don't forget the detector. MD'n is my past time and hobby in the ghost towns and mining camps here, and yes, the AS goes too. Best part is I can go year round.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #14
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Oscar, I would love to be in NM right now. It's downright chilly here in Mich. My oldest brother is in the Albequerqe area now,
visiting with some friends who have a big SOB motorhome.
Bro and his wife took Amtrak and enjoyed the dining car but said the sleeping berths are uncomfy.
They are going to do a tour of the area including the Grand Canyon. I coulda gone with them but I had commitments here at home, dang it all.
Have you found anything of value with your metal detector? I have a collection of antique bottles (cork tops) I dug up while prospecting for gold, but I've dug enough holes to fill the Grand Canyon in my pursuit of treasure.

Rog
Old 10-08-2003, 02:34 AM   #15
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
but getting back to the subject

A local used tire dealer snagged me 2 new Goodyear Marathon load range D for 80 bucks each, less than the local Goodyear dealers were asking. Sometimes the mom and pop stores can get you a good deal because they don't have the high overhead of dealers. Downside: I didn't get a toy Goodyear blimp.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
This fourm is a good source of parts at less than mkt price.
I received a replacment capactor for my AC for $30. The part is no longer available and I was looking at having to make a modification when another forum member had deinstalled his AC and sent me the part. Just have to let folks know what you are looking for and see what turns up.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #17

1999 19' Bambi
Fountain Hills , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Hooray for Rog0525!

I read about these folks buying brand new CCD's and I'm thinking, "What do they do for a living and how can I get a job there, too?"

Well, you can buy parts off eBay or at a RV salvage yard. I bought my Reese dual cam, with the whole shootin' match for $300 essentially brand new at an RV salvage yard. Saved: $200?

I got a CO detector new in the package off eBay for $12, including shipping. Saved: $35?

Second tip is don't be in a hurry to fix things that aren't broke.

Third tip would be, always look for one more way to fix it. Example: One of the POs had used a galvanized drain plug in the fresh water tank. When it rusted out, the rust screwed up the threads on the way out. So, option 1 was a whole new tank installed by the Airstream Dealer. Option 2 is to have the local plastic welding guy install a new fitting after I take the tank out. Option 3 is to use a $15 tube of sealer to install a $4 plastic adaptor that still lets me drain the tank. Saved: $300?

Snag one of the variable speed polishers off Harbor Freight while they're on sale, for one thing. There's $20 you saved right there.

I've got a deal going next weekend where they're going to use my trailer in some kind of display, and pay me enough to cover the new power jack I bought. (I'm blaming a PO for that one, too!) I'm also planning to sell the perfectly good motor head off the old power jack, and get a few pennies back there, too.

I got a microwave that fits perfectly at Goodwill for $10. I got a nice 13" color TV at a yard sale for $5 and fixed it (I am not making this up!) with duct tape (it was the power switch) Saved: $200?

I got a string of awning lights at a 4th of July clearance sale on July 6th for $2.

Any fool can have a beautiful trailer for $90,000. Only a wise and patient person will have a nice trailer cheap!

-Don
do you know anyone who could remove clear coat and polish my 1999 Bambi, 19 feet? I have arthritis and cannot undertake this. Anywhere in Arizona.
BluMun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
You may not get a reply. This thread is 17 years old.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
This is just one of several found with a quick Google search.
https://varr.co/arizona-vintage-airs...s-and-repairs/
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote