Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
fair haven , New Jersey
Ok - so here is what I already tried. I made sure the battery switch was set to "use", i reset the 30 amp breaker at the camp site (also called the office, no power problems at the campground), i flipped/reset all of the breakers in the breaker box, and I am sure that the tv/microwave/ac have power, so I know I am connected to the shore line. Right now the refeigerator is running on gas - but only with everything else turned off. I think I will need to go to the camp office in the morning and enlist some help. Thanks again for your speedy and kind responses. I'll let you know how i make out.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ugh...so sorry it is not working. Where is Harry Potter when we need him?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sounds to me that the new power converter is not working. Maybe borrow a battery charger and connect it directly to your batteries.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
fair haven , New Jersey
I think you're right about the new converter. Too bad the service department at my dealer wouldnt give me the time of day when I called them earlier.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree that the converter is where the problem is... Maybe someone can lend you a battery so at least you'll have 12v power...or you can get your battery charged up by a service place. But even then a loaner battery will not hold a charge for long if you're drawing it down and it is not being re-charged by the converter.

Sorry this is turning into an ordeal for you... Again, good luck...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
So I have the same trailer a 25 06 Safari Front Bed. Just replaced both batteries last month with new interstate, and a tire blowout took out a cable that feeds my overhead lighting and heater, DVD and magic fan so I've been dealing with electrical. One thing helpful is we have a little led night light that we plug into the outlet over the stove. When I first connect to shore power I look inside the trailer and if it's lit then I know I've got 120v flowing into the trailer. It's right next to the system monitor and easy to see. You've got a problem with the 12 converter under the bed. Get a flashlight and take a good look at your blade fuses that are in each of the slots that send 12 v to your systems. Mine has an extra one on the right last fuse that can make for a backup.
Also on the Use / store switch at the door you should here a click under the bed of the relay then you throw it.

Did you batteries come charged up and new? I've had weird things happen when I had one new battery and one old not charged and the 12 Volt converter doesn't have the capacity to charge dead batteries AND run all systems at same time.

My guess is that your 12 Volt converter isn't working and the batteries ran down and need charging. But if all of your lights are on then you're getting 12volts from somewhere. If the converter is acting up then you'll get a weird light show, overhead lights flicker. Your status panel will go from red to yellow to green and flash. And you might hear a fan run inside the 12V converter as it cools down cause it's over heating to keep up.

You might turn off things you dont need such as the water heater, entertainment etc. to use power on more critical systems.

Hit a hardware store and buy a $20 basic volt meter and some of those green blade fuses to have on hand. You can meter voltage on the circuits in the fuse block (use the 12v scale). You can check the batteries in front to see if they are charged.

The 120v AC power runs your AC unit. All of the 110v wall receptacles in and out and probably your TV. Might be forgetting something but everything else is 12 Volt that comes from that converter under the bed. If its not working properly then the 12 volt will come from the batteries til they drain out. Hope one of these thoughts is the one that works for you. Rich
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Also get a new dealer. You spent a lot of money with these guys and there's no excuse for their answers.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
fair haven , New Jersey
Well, I've checked everything i am able to, and the problem seems to be the new batteries, new converter, or both. Have temporarily resolved the problem by switching the batteries from "use" to "store". I will stop
at the dealer on my way home.

In addition to being without power last night, we experienced the worst electrical storm I have ever seen, plus about five inches of rain in a few hours. To all of you who came to my emotional and technical support, i am deeply grateful. I hope i can one day return the favor.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You can keep your refrigerator running on AC power by unplugging it from the trailer system outlet inside the refer access box and plugging it directly into shore power with an extension cord. Most campgrounds have an additional 15 or 20 amp outlet in the power box.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01719.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	166781   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01720.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	166782  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother ship
I think you're right about the new converter. Too bad the service department at my dealer wouldnt give me the time of day when I called them earlier.
I'd have a chat tomorrow with the service manager there.

Hope you got it resolved.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Are you sure you checked the switch for the converter? I may have missed it, but I didn't see it in your posts. I know you checked the breaker and the battery disconnect switch, but I didn't see anywhere that you said you checked the switch for the converter. (I assume it has one - maybe they stopped doing that.) Look for a light switch like in a house that doesn't seem to do anything.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Try to think like a worker who is sloppy—look for wires loose or not connected, switches not turned on, wires reversed causing discharging instead of charging. Is there water in the batteries?

Check the 12 v. fuses—they can be hard to see if they are blown, so get replacement fuses and try them. A careless worker who doesn't understand electrical principles could have blown fuses. There may be fuses in the battery cables inside the trailer, check them. Look for a short in the battery box—check the wire to the jack for compromised insulation, or cables arcing to the box. See if the cables are tightly connected inside and out.

You can't charge a dead battery with an alternator, so trying to charge through the tow vehicle or some one else's vehicle won't work. You need a separate battery charger (one is in the converter and not working).

Battery life is shortened by letting them go dead. Standard wet cell batteries should not be discharged below 50%; 0% is worse. Tell the dealer you want new batteries because they either did things badly, or installed a bad converter and didn't check it properly, and add in the problem where they blew you off.

There is a reputable dealer in NJ (Colonial) and if that is where you called, ask to speak to the owners about sloppy workmanship. They have a good reputation and would be concerned about your experience. I suppose that works for any dealer.

Gene
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother ship View Post
Have temporarily resolved the problem by switching the batteries from "use" to "store".

How did this "fix" the problem?
Is the switch wired backwards?

B
Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
I am concerned that we haven't heard from you. How did it all work out?