Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pine tar/pitch

Maybe this is old hat for those who live in piney territory, but I got a liberal dose of pine pitch dripped on the TV and AS while in upstate NY. After trying a variety of chemicals in my arsenal, I found Sparkle Glass cleaner was the best solution. While still a bit of a job, it was gentle on all paints/clear coats, glass ans Plexiglas. Let it soak a bit and rub with a very wet, Sparkle soaked cotton rag.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Simple Solution

We're deep in New England with loads of pine around including our yard. It's never a pretty sight when you discover that dropping on the beautiful clean finish of your TV or AS.

What we've used is a simple ingredient from the fridge. Never thought of it... in fact totally unexpected.

Mayonnaise

That's right, just dab some mayo on the offending drop, let it sit for a little bit and wipe it off. With heavier pine drips apply it again until it's fully removed. It even works on your skin. Amazing stuff...

Tom

- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
We're deep in New England with loads of pine around including our yard. It's never a pretty sight when you discover that dropping on the beautiful clean finish of your TV or AS.

What we've used is a simple ingredient from the fridge. Never thought of it... in fact totally unexpected.

Mayonnaise

That's right, just dab some mayo on the offending drop, let it sit for a little bit and wipe it off. With heavier pine drips apply it again until it's fully removed. It even works on your skin. Amazing stuff...

Tom
I'll try that. Although I have cleaned the TV and most of the AS, I am sure I will be finding new spots for some time. I assume it has to be mayo, not miracle whip?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
WD-40 will remove almost all tar, pine, glue, etc., and is actually a GREAT cleaner for washing the car also! I buy it in gallon cans, pouring a cup or two into a 5-gal bucket, add water from the garden hose to turn it into a milky-emulsion.... rinse the car/airplane/etc off with a hose, use the emulsion instead of soapy water.... rinse again and dry with old towels.

It lubricates all the weatherseals, door/window hinges, leaves a just-waxed appearance and water beads-up if it rains as if it's been waxed. Straight WD 40 will remove road tar, wax, spilt paint, etc etc. (The mayonnaise has OIL in it as it's major ingredient and is why it will dissolve tar.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
WD-40 in the car wash bucket is similar to the old timers trick of a cup of kerosene.

I usually grab the WD if I only have a spot or two of pine sap to clean off of a vehicle. If it is a large amount, I use mineral spirits.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'll try that. Although I have cleaned the TV and most of the AS, I am sure I will be finding new spots for some time. I assume it has to be mayo, not miracle whip?
Yep just plain old mayo...

Interesting about the WD-40, learn something new everyday. I've always used it for the SS parts (rock guards, etc...), have to give it a go as an emulsion for a general wash.

Tom
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
WD-40 in the car wash bucket is similar to the old timers trick of a cup of kerosene.

I usually grab the WD if I only have a spot or two of pine sap to clean off of a vehicle. If it is a large amount, I use mineral spirits.
It says in my owners manual for my 67 to pour kerosene down the drains for winterizing. Another use for the stuff if you can get past the stink of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Rubbing alcohol
Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Rubbing alcohol
How does that do on plexiglass?

Old 08-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
How does that do on plexiglass?
Hi

WD-40 / Kerosene, mayo, ketchup, turpentine, and Windex all should be fine on Plexiglass. Since most Airstream's have Lexan on them that may not be the answer to the question you really wanted to ask . They are all ok on Lexan as well.

Bob
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

WD-40 / Kerosene, mayo, ketchup, turpentine, and Windex all should be fine on Plexiglass. Since most Airstream's have Lexan on them that may not be the answer to the question you really wanted to ask . They are all ok on Lexan as well.

Bob
No they're not. Never use Windex on lexan. Been there done that. Instant fogging and dulling.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
NEVER use Windex with Ammonia...on plastic. It's the Ammonia that kills Plexiglas/Lexan/etc. It also is why so many autos have crazed headlamp lenses. RTV (silicone adhesives) also smell like ammonia because that's how they cure. Using RTV near plastic can ruin some plastics. GE makes a type silicone adhesive specially for plastic/lexan/plexi... and it can be found in big box stores next to their selections of plastic window supplies.
============

The "cup of kero in a bucket" and "kero stinks" commentary brings me to explain a bit more about the WD-40 use...

My Dad bought a '57 Chrysler and Mom showed him her copy of "Hints from Heloise"... which recommended a cup of kero in a bucket of warm water for washing the car. Dad tried it and it works wonderful.

When I acquired a highly-polished aluminum airplane (a restored 1953 Cessna 170) I wanted to avoid re-polishing ...but I hated the smell of kerosene... so I used WD-40 as an experiment. It's now been 18 years of ownership of a 65-year-old airplane and I've never had to re-polish the airplane, and nary a smidgen of corrosion anywhere either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	291683  
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Nice plane and thanks for the tip on WD-40. I had a 182 that was painted in the ugly 76 yellow and brown scheme. Wife called it a new breed of bird, "yellow belly money sucker"
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Nice plane and thanks for the tip on WD-40. I had a 182 that was painted in the ugly 76 yellow and brown scheme. Wife called it a new breed of bird, "yellow belly money sucker"
Ha!
Thanks.
Here we were over Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, headed out to Nanaimo, Vancouver Island a couple years ago...
We've had it all over North America:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OverOkanaganjpeg.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	291726