Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Pinched the 7 pin connector cable

Trying to make a tight backing corner, at least I think that's how it happened, I pinched my 7 pin connector cable. It took some of the rubber covering off and exposed a bit of one of the wires inside. I wrapped it in electrical tape to keep the weather out and to make it home from vacation.

All my lights, brakes on the trailer are working.

Is this a difficult replacement to do, or should I just make sure that the scar is kept taped up and go on about life?

If not, is this a DIY repair or something for the pros?

Thanks
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
if it is not much of a scuff, what you did is probably good to go. I would use Sctoch 33 or 88 tape though, not some off brand which turns into goo in a few months.

You also could fill the hole with an RTV silicone. GE used to make a special product just for such an electrical application. It was black. Then cover the Silicone with tape, as above.

If the break is near the plug, and you have extra length, you could put a new plug on a slightly shortened cord, after you cut the bad section off.

Or if you want a first class repair, you can get cords with the 7 prong flat plug and about 5' of molded on wire at a good RV parts place. About $40 or so, but you then will still have to find a place to splice it into the original one, maybe under the belly pan. I don't know where the newer units like yours transition from the 7 wire cord to the coach wiring.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
As long as you've only nicked one wire, your quick fix will probably be fine for a long time... if they start shorting out is when you'll have bigger problems.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You can buy "liquid tape" at any hardware store or Walmart. Black gooey stuff. It is great for this type of repair. Let it set and then tape it good with regular tape to protect it from UV breakdown.
Alway carry a can of this stuff for sealing small items or leaks. Easy to remove later when proper repair can be done.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
As long as you've only nicked one wire, your quick fix will probably be fine for a long time... if they start shorting out is when you'll have bigger problems.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Duluth Trading sells repair tape that "melds" into itself after a few minutes. Available in black or contrasting colors ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
When you're ready for the 1st class repair you can go to a trailer supply place and get a weatherproof junction box. It's rectangular and fastens to your trailer frame. You cut the cable and run it into the box to the terminals. With another cable, with your plug at the end, you connect to the terminals in the box. It's a long term fix and in the future if you need to replace the cable you just go from the junction box to the plug. Not difficult but like most other things just takes a little time. You can get the 7 wire cables at the same time as you get the box. If the old cable is still serviceable keep it for an emergency fix along the road.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Alternately, if you're not confident with your wires, I just replaced mine. 8 foot for about $35 at Out-of-Doors Mart. Took about 2 hours. Had to remove my couch, snake cable through a-frame and through floor. Just made note of which wire was connected where. New wire colors were same. Pretty straightforward.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4506 View Post
Alternately, if you're not confident with your wires, I just replaced mine. 8 foot for about $35 at Out-of-Doors Mart. Took about 2 hours. Had to remove my couch, snake cable through a-frame and through floor. Just made note of which wire was connected where. New wire colors were same. Pretty straightforward.

Thanks Jeff. I looked under the couch in my safari and i see the electric connections through an access panel at the front left side. will have to see how i get in there because i have the L shaped lounge and don't think it actually comes out, but i didnt pull all the cushions to see if there is an access panel from the top or not. But if its that easy I may be able to do it myself and save $200.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Probably so long as you have good access. 5 of my wires went into a black box screwed to the front wall and it was a little challenging getting to one of the mounting screws and moving the box out around the snarl of other wires. The box has terminals inside that was a little challenging getting the nuts off. Also the set screws holding the power and ground would be challenging if you have to reach. Having couch out of the way will make a huge difference! Still straightforward.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
When you're ready for the 1st class repair you can go to a trailer supply place and get a weatherproof junction box. It's rectangular and fastens to your trailer frame. You cut the cable and run it into the box to the terminals. With another cable, with your plug at the end, you connect to the terminals in the box. It's a long term fix and in the future if you need to replace the cable you just go from the junction box to the plug. Not difficult but like most other things just takes a little time. You can get the 7 wire cables at the same time as you get the box. If the old cable is still serviceable keep it for an emergency fix along the road.

Thanks, this looks like it might be easier then trying to squeeze under the L lounge in the trailer and do all the disconnect and reconnect in an awkward position. What kind of connections are made inside the junction box? Wire nuts? Also should the junction box be mounted to the A frame or to the trailer frame itself?

Thanks again
Dana
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Answered some of my own questions

I see the junction boxes have posts for connections so that seems easy enough to do. thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Dana
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Dana, I mounted mine to the A-frame using self tapping sheet metal screws. Get stainless steel and you will not have any rust issues down the road. Be careful when you cut the trailer end not to cut too short. A little extra is better than not enough here. You can crimp or solder some eyes to the wires to make the connection.

Good luck with it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Make sure you purchase the correct cable. Get the heavy duty one that has #10 Black, #10 White, #12 Blue, and #14 for the rest that are lights. Also, remember to put the correct end on the plug. If you do it backwards you will be crossing a bunch of wires. You will know you have it wrong after a couple of wires. The #10 wires are the hardest to do.

I bought my heavy duty wire locally, at Al's RV and it cost about $2.40 per foot.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I managed to crush the metal connector, car side, doing a tight turn. My dealer suggested I do as the picture shows below, hooking the spring loaded cover through the hitch ball locking pin and keeping all the wires up out of the way. I appreciate not all setups are the same as this but it's worked well for us.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I managed to crush the metal connector, car side, doing a tight turn. My dealer suggested I do as the picture shows below, hooking the spring loaded cover through the hitch ball locking pin and keeping all the wires up out of the way. I appreciate not all setups are the same as this but it's worked well for us.

Thanks for the suggestion and the pic.

when i get a chance im going to go up to storage and see how much extra cable play i have and if i have enough i will probably just replace the plug on the cable just aft of the crimp.

JC says that the 7 pin connector cable that came with our AS is 12 feet long. there must be an extra six feet stuffed inside the a frame someplace because its not 12 feet from my bumper to the front of the trailer where the connector box is supposed to be.

Save that, will proably go with the temporary liquid rubber and electrical tape fix, then have the replacement done at some point.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
In our 2008 International I see the junction box deep behind the "L" sofa. How do I get the sofa out of the way? That looks like a crazy job in itself.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
That's a good question.

I've gone with the tape and be watchful approach. may do the proper fix the next time it gets below a hundred million degrees here in Texas.

we went camping and i forgot to look and see if there is an access panel on the L lounge or if i have to be a skinny contortionist to get to the access panel.