Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Pay it forward, donor parts offered for FREE(local pickup/packing&shipping fees only)
Yes, count me in! 17 47.22%
Undecided 4 11.11%
Not at this time 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Thumbs up Pay it forward-please vote

I've sent this to the webmaster in hopes it will catch on. Please post your thoughts on this so they can see it would be a "priceless" idea.

Greetings Forum Moderators:
I would like to suggest a new sub-category to be placed under the "Airstream restoration, repair & parts forum. It would be titled "Pay it Forward". The idea would be to offer to other members parts for free that have been removed due to renovations, or just unused by the current owner. The only costs involved if local pick-up is not possible would be the cost necessary to have it packed up properly and the shipping charges involved. This would be of course a voluntary participation by members. Next to free donor parts would be as they call it "priceless", and a benefit to all.

The following is my story of why I am making this suggestion:

I recently wrote a reply for in response to a thread I started:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ard-51351.html

Ed (BIGED52),

We recently were fortunate enough to receive many donor parts for our '72 Sovereign from a fellow airforum.com member (Minno). All that was expected from us for their time & trouble was the cost of having it packed properly and the shipping costs. As you well know this type of generousity, and vintage donor parts are rare to find these days, but really needs to be resurrected in these trying economic times. A help they neighbor attitude. In the spirit of paying it forward, all we ask is that you do the same if you want the rock guard. We will have it packed up and calculate the shipping costs if this is acceptable to you. Someday you can do the same for the next person in need. In fact I'm going to start a thread to this effect to tell my story and encourage others to do the same. I hope it catches on. It would be a shame for these parts to go to a landfill somewhere when they can be used and loved (LOL).

Reply when you get a chance.

Happy Trailering!

Mary & Steve

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am not sure how long you have been around here, but that just happens. You start a thread and say I need_______, does anyone know where I can find this ______ ? and suddenly someone somewhere else contacts you. Sometimes they have paid something for it and would like their money back out of it. Sometimes they want only shipping. Sometimes they tell you "do something for someone else". It is called "Airstream Spirit" I have received close to a dozen items this way and I have sent out equally as many. I feel that if you create the category you are suggesting, the sharks with zero "Airstream Spirit" will swoop in and take it all. I might be wrong, but I would be willing to bet that "good will" will be abused by those with "for free will".
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I call it forums spirit

Frank is of course right that this type of thing happens here on these threads very often. That said, I think this thread serves a useful purpose to those who may not have thought to ask about a particular antique part availability here. I have often wondered if someone were able to keep vintage parts and make them available in a listing on the forums as to year and model of trailer that they were removed from if others like myself would take advantage of these hard to find parts. I know we all want to get rid of stuff that takes up space in our workshops and garages but rather than see these parts disappear forever it seems this thread could help to re-distribute needed parts to greatful owners for just minimal cost or packing and shipping. What do you all think? There are folks who post ads here on the classifieds to sell or give away parts. Now is the time to make those parts available (HERE) and get them out of your way. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm definitely very undecided on this one, and nothing you say can change my hidebound opinion.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Populating a subforum with freebie parts threads has a finite lifetime until the products are either distributed or tossed. MARYW, your mentioned thread didn't even offer anything until post 9 -- that happens a lot and then is too late to relocate to a 'free' subforum. And freebie threads are a small part of the enthusiast marketplace where items are sought or sold cheaply.

Having been an Argosy owner, I'd naturally post an Argosy thread if I was looking for parts. How should threads be handled for affordable parts we "share" for way less than retail? 6 weeks ago I shipped off a like-new Jordan controller sold at a major discount (not a freebie). Observing who wanted this was a matter of reading the subset of threads in which I have a natural interest. Hookups happen. Keep your eyes on balrgn threads!

It doesn't make a lot of sense to archiving and perhaps later discovery to move threads out of their natural subforum just because a charitable act is involved. Another idea that is underused -- 'tag' your thread when you start it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	free parts.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	80295

Believe me -- it would show up in our tag cloud pretty fast! http://www.airforums.com/forums/tags/ Size of the tag depends on on how often it is mentioned. PM me the URL of freebie threads if you'd like to seed this. MARYW - I went back and edited your rockguard thread to include tags 'free' and 'rockguard.'

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
To each their own

I may be a newer member, but the concept for this category would be a valuable asset to those looking for items that are not so easy to find in the general marketplace. Like I suggested only those who choose to post their "free" items would do so voluntarily. And like the classifieds there could be a specific time frame in which they are listed, then expire. The whole idea is not to move threads/posts relating to "FREE" items, but to to have one place to post them, and find items you need, that is in the main forum, not the classified area. That way you don't have to keep doing endless searches in the existing threads to find posts for such items. Not everyone thinks to look in the classifieds for "free" items. I suppose to narrow down trailer type there could be sub-forums under the "Pay it forward" one which lists the actual names/types (i.e. Argosy, Sovereign, etc). Just like there is for Airstream Trailer Forums. So "Pay it Forward" would be a category under the Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forum, then sub-forums with the types listing would be sub-forums. It just would be a central easy to reference place to find what your looking for and or offering. What better a place than under the restoration & parts forum. The idea of offering "free" parts might be something that has been occurring throughout the various posts, but like you said if the person doesn't "tag it" properly then it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. By the time you do find what your looking for it may be too late. It would be a streamlined approach to making available the priceless vintage parts many members need. I understand it isn't for everyone (not their cup of tea), but as I already stated it would be strictly voluntary, to participate if you wish to, and spread the spirit of "People Helping People". This spirit of "helping thy neighbor" is something that has been long forgotten by many, but would do the country a world of good. Sure there are as Frank (62overlander) calls them "sharks" out there, but I think you'd be surprised how many good honest people would be extremely grateful to give/get a helping hand. I guess it basically boils down to whether you see the glass as half-full (optimism)or half-empty (pessimism), but in reality it's neither. It is always full. It may be filled with 50% of water and 50% of air, or any variation of competing percentages, but it is always full of something even if it looks empty as it could be FULL of air. That's really just relative. It depends whether you are drinking or pouring. I just feel that it's a subject worth discussing. Holding the belief that what comes around goes around, to do onto others as you would have them do onto you, I feel is a noble cause worth pursuing. Enough said. I just ask that everyone vote, so we can have a "no-spin" debate on this idea. Thank for your time and consideration to all those who are open to having a healthy, democratic dialogue.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
whoa now, my glass is always half full... I just have a good understanding of human nature. Man is inherently selfish and greedy and the free stuff will be swallowed up. sorry, that is just how I feel about it.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Free stuff will get offered either in posts or in the classifieds, whether there is a specific forum for it or not. The sharks are always circling, you can't stop that. Is that reason enough to never go swimming? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Those willing to participate are willing to take that chance, regardless of the possible hidden motives of others. I just want to give all those who want help, a platform to do so. It's going to happen somewhere, somehow anyway.
Forums member #29232

Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So Mary, What parts do you need?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
I am not in this for my own gain. As I stated before, after being the recipient myself of free donor parts (which I received several from Minno), I decided what better way to repay the kindness than with another. As the saying goes "Pay it Forward". I can see where this type of free market thinking might offend others that are in it for the $$. Some are sharks looking to cash in on the supply and demand aspect, while others are just trying to make honest living. This entrepreneurial spirit is shared by all. Hence the idea of a free marketplace. As they say "it's a free country", and we can all have our individual opinions, as well as the option of choice. My choice is to hold the door open to allow others in, not to close it on them and shut them out. That's just how I feel.
Forums member #29232

Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Smile

FYI:

Hey everyone, this is a anonymous poll. No one will know how you voted. Please cast your vote, we need your input!

Thank you for your participation.
Forums member #29232

Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
We picked up another annoynmyous undecided vote!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Perfect example of why a dedicated thread is needed

Perfect example:
Below is a link of a thread where there were free items offered, but due to it being lost in the sea of posts not all were aware of it's existence. If we had a dedicated central sub-forum category for these, more folks would have access to them without having to wade through the endless threads to find them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...bie-39942.html
Forums member #29232

Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I changing from undecided to probably siding with Frank. If the "free stuff" just shows up in a thread (as long as it's related to that thread), it's a reward for those that pay attention.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
So then the "sharks" out there actively looking for "prey" will get first dibs. That hardly seems fair. The whole point is to level the playing field, so all have equal opportunity.
Forums member #29232

Old 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The forums administration has spoken, why do you continue beating a dead horse?
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
No, I think it's a way to defeat the sharks. If you need a soapdish for a 1976 Overlander, you follow the threads that cover mid 70's bathrooms, and someday one will turn up.

If you list things in a separate subforum, the sharks will watch just that forum like a hawk, and they will cherrypick all the goodies.

I've given away my share of stuff. I've even had people ask for stuff before it was taken out. I think keeping the free stuff buried where only those who follow the individual threads can find it is the fairest way.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Another one lost

Here's another one that got "lost in the shuffle" because it wasn't centrally located good useable parts probably went to the landfill.

There were no posts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...-or-51284.html
Forums member #29232

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Populating a subforum with freebie parts threads has a finite lifetime until the products are either distributed or tossed. MARYW, your mentioned thread didn't even offer anything until post 9 -- that happens a lot and then is too late to relocate to a 'free' subforum. And freebie threads are a small part of the enthusiast marketplace where items are sought or sold cheaply.

Having been an Argosy owner, I'd naturally post an Argosy thread if I was looking for parts. How should threads be handled for affordable parts we "share" for way less than retail? 6 weeks ago I shipped off a like-new Jordan controller sold at a major discount (not a freebie). Observing who wanted this was a matter of reading the subset of threads in which I have a natural interest. Hookups happen. Keep your eyes on balrgn threads!

It doesn't make a lot of sense to archiving and perhaps later discovery to move threads out of their natural subforum just because a charitable act is involved. Another idea that is underused -- 'tag' your thread when you start it.
Attachment 80295

Believe me -- it would show up in our tag cloud pretty fast! http://www.airforums.com/forums/tags/ Size of the tag depends on on how often it is mentioned. PM me the URL of freebie threads if you'd like to seed this. MARYW - I went back and edited your rockguard thread to include tags 'free' and 'rockguard.'

It is not a dead horse, so far the yes votes are winning, and Bob the administrator did not give it the axe as of yet. Hence his writing "PM me the URL of freebie threads if you'd like to seed this", in his post.

What I'd like to know is why you are so against this. What's your motive? It sounds like a bit of fear mongering propaganda to me. You spend just as much time posting a negative opposing view.

It seems to me that we should just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Let other members have a chance to share their thoughts on the subject. Let's try and stick to the documented trail of facts regarding members not being able to find the "free" threads, without having to go on a time consuming hunt for them.

Mary

Forums member #29232

Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYW164 View Post
Here's another one that got "lost in the shuffle" because it wasn't centrally located good useable parts probably went to the landfill.

There were no posts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...-or-51284.html
Actually those probably went to a landfill because no one wanted 30 year old couch cushions. Most restorations involve new foam and fabric.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote