Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Parts on order?

I picked up my 2015 on 6/27, so that's about a week and one half. There were two parts that during the demo turned out they had to be ordered. I called today and asked if they had come in and was told they hadn't been ordered yet from AS central. The dealer said that they have to send pics to AS, who in turn sends them a part no so they can order they part. The continued that the part nos had not been returned to them as of yet. That sounds like something from 1920 ! Am I getting a line of BS from this dealer, sure sounds like it.
I asked the parts guy if he had a parts book and he said no. That sounds really odd that a company as big as AS is that backwards.

Anyone care to comment ?
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you dealer needs an attitude adjustment and some updated customer service training. In many ways Airstream is still very old school and it really would not surprise if the dealers "excuse" is not basically true. In the name of good customer service they need to get off their butt, pick up the telephone and call Jackson Center for a proper update. I am fortunate to have a competent and professional local Airstream dealership with top notch customer service.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
As far as I can see all part numbers are available on the Airstream site. Look for your year, finish and length and you have a complete book of parts with numbers for that unit.
My problem currently is a part that the dealer claims was ordered a month ago has not arrived. I was told about two weeks. My gripe is they won't check with Airstream and claim they receive parts twice a week and don't know what parts are arriving until that morning. Heck of a way to run a business...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A lot depends on what kind of parts we're talking about here. A custom item buried deep inside an AC is a bit different than the latch on the screen door or the hinge on an overhead bin. That said, it doesn't sound like your dealer is working very hard on this ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Fresh water tank.
I agree.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
parts diagrams on the AS Site

Sherif 1, I checked over the AS home site and I'll be darned if I can find the parts diagrams that you referred to. Can you tell me where it is on the site ?

Ed
Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years ago I called AS about some small parts I was looking for. I was told that I needed to go through my local dealer. Local dealer told me they needed to build an order before they would order parts so it might take awhile. Don't recall how I managed but I didn't wait for them. This policy may impact on their ordering stuff.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Menu
Service
Manuals
Pick year
Parts book
Download
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I know from having ordered AS parts from my dealer that they had to wait for a new trailer delivery and the parts they ordered (for me and others) would be inside. The cost of shipping for parts is too expensive unless it is an emergency.

To complicate the scenario further as I am in Canada there is the customs brokerage charges which are too high for one part to be delivered at a time.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Menu
Service
Manuals
Pick year
Parts book
Download
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Menu
Service
Manuals
Pick year
Parts book
Download
Hi

There are places where those parts books break down a bit. A real good example can be found in the Classic parts book for 2017. Take a look at the breakout for the toilet in the 30' (lots of detail) and the breakout for the toilet in the 33' (nothing more than a single item). In fact, the 33' toilet is a bit more complex than the 30'. On the other hand, if you ever need any piece of wood that goes into a cabinet - you have the part number.

A lot depends on just what sort of parts we are talking about and what they go into.

Bob
Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Not all parts are stocked by Airstream in the way you would think.

While at HQ in May, I needed to purchase a replacement cable support for my outside storage door. They had to get it from the assembly line but first had to make sure that it would not impact the build schedule for trailers in process. I was fortunate that they had enough on the assembly line that they could part with a couple.

Was told this was not an uncommon occurrence.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Not all parts are stocked by Airstream in the way you would think.

While at HQ in May, I needed to purchase a replacement cable support for my outside storage door. They had to get it from the assembly line but first had to make sure that it would not impact the build schedule for trailers in process. I was fortunate that they had enough on the assembly line that they could part with a couple.

Was told this was not an uncommon occurrence.

Greg
Hi

The goal these days is to get as close to zero inventory as you possibly can.(we want 50 inventory turns a year ... no 60 ... how about 70 ...). Often the floor stock on the line is still owned by the supplier (bonded inventory). It only is "bought" when it is pulled to go into an assembly. The supplier may (or may not) get a say in how big that inventory is. For odd spare parts, the inventory may all be at the supplier. It gets drop shipped straight to the dealer, possibly with an Airstream label / invoice on the package.

Yes, it's a crazy world.

Bob
Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
parts on order

While I certainly agree with the two previous posters about inventory and parts availability ( I owned a manufacturing company). Certainly the inventory turnover ( more rather than less ) is far more efficient from a warehouse space POV and a balance sheet point of view, it does put more angst and stress on those of us who buy the products looking for replacement parts. Even though we live in a society where things literally get thrown away when they break ( instead of being fixed), some things just don't fit that way.

Unfortunately, you're right. It's a crazy world!

Interestingly enough, I sent an email to AS central and they responded quickly(as in the next day).

First the parts guy @ Tampa RV was just handing me a line of BS, which is what I thought when I spoke with him. AS customer service quickly sent me back the parts no. for the light above the bed and explained that the vacuum cylinder for the back of the queen bed ( to raise it) comes from Italy. I might get the cylinder just prior to them planting me in the ground, but at least I'll get the light fixed.

It's amazing that some people, like this parts guy, will hand you any line of BS they can think of at the moment to put you off. They never figure you might not believe them. Then when you confront them, they hand you more BS.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
....... AS customer service quickly sent me back the parts no. for the light above the bed and explained that the vacuum cylinder for the back of the queen bed ( to raise it) comes from Italy. I might get the cylinder just prior to them planting me in the ground, but at least I'll get the light fixed. .
Hi

Ok, they can't get the cylinder .... does AS have the entire bed? I think the dealer owes you a bed ...

One interesting feature of Airstream's evolutionary design approach is that a 2015 likely isn't all that different than a 2017 or a 2018. They may not use the same cylinder, but they use something similar. There likely is a way (short of replacing the entire bed) to fit the new cylinder into your trailer. What that is would take a bit of "try it and see". It does not sound like your dealer is somebody who will go that extra mile. A trip to JC might be a way to get it done. For that matter, there are a lot of similar cylinders used for a bunch of things. Some time with Mr Google might turn up a replacement.

Bob
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
First the parts guy @ Tampa RV was just handing me a line of BS, which is what I thought when I spoke with him.
It's amazing that some people, like this parts guy, will hand you any line of BS they can think of at the moment to put you off. They never figure you might not believe them. Then when you confront them, they hand you more BS.
When I saw you were from St. Augustine, I knew it would be Tampa RV. That's their reputation.
Even though there are three AS dealers in Florida, I'd consider driving to Georgia to purchase my AS. That's assuming the Georgia dealers really are any different.

To play the devil's advocate, a cylinder to push up the bed does not keep you from using the Airstream. You could get a couple wedge shaped pillows made to elevate the user.
I'd also agree, if you could find the part, you might be able to buy it directly from a supplier other than the one AS uses.
I had a couple gas struts that failed in my MH. I took the number off the strut, and typed it into Amazon! Bingo. $20 and new struts.
My friend loves Ducati and MV Augusta motorcycles, so I understand the frustration of ordering from Italy, hell, I once owned a Fiat!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Customer Service Definition

Before I retired I ran an answering service/call center/customer care center. EVERY Telephone company we dealt with provided us with the backbone that made it possible (or impossible) for is to make money for our company and for our clients.

A standard joke in our industry went "do you know the technical term for the mating of a bull and a cow? The bull SERVICES the cow. Now you know what Ma Bell means when they say they've been servicing you for 150 years.

And the Bells which morphed into Verizon were also Leaders in using computer tech to replace really knowledgeable highly paid unionized workers with near minimum wage "representatives" who had six weeks training and a computerized script of frequently asked questions. NOT an entirely bad thing IF the script is excellent and is updated frequently, turnover is low and ongoing training is stressed....
Of course now the senior telereps and script programmers and technical writers get paid very well. Huge changes in technology happen at ever increasing speed. Look at your cell phone versus one 10 years old!!!😝🤤😓🤕

The Google search engine made the Dewey decimal system and the Library of Congress systems
Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Google search engine made the LC and Dewey systems obsolete. (Post interrupted by finger or?)

Not only is the gap between rich and poor widening .... the educational system is failing badly. One BIG missing piece is that educators haven't realized that LOGICAL THINKING is just as vital for a mechanic as for a doctor.

Rant Over, Paula
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #19

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Enjoyed your rant.
As of tomorrow I'm at 5 weeks waiting for a replacement fresh water tank. No excuse for that. Airstream, are you listening?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The Google search engine made the LC and Dewey systems obsolete. (Post interrupted by finger or?)

Not only is the gap between rich and poor widening .... the educational system is failing badly. One BIG missing piece is that educators haven't realized that LOGICAL THINKING is just as vital for a mechanic as for a doctor.

Rant Over, Paula
Hi

Not quite sure how we swerved over in this direction. I'd just comment that with a modern high school teacher teaching 200 to 400 students a semester, things are not what they were 50 years ago. Many things drive the outcomes we get from our educational system.

Bob