Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thumbs up

Superb Service is Inland RVs hallmark.
Thanks to Greg Paulson for the excellent job on my axle conversion. (from spring to torsion)
And Terry for being cheerful when I woke him up on a Friday morning to pick up my trailer on the Thanksgiving holiday.
Good people to bring your Airstream to and to get parts from.
Regrettably I did not get to meet "Andy" but I am happy to hear that he had better things to keep him busy that week. Take care of your self and don't come back to work too soon. You have a good crew taking care of the shop!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiemon View Post
Superb Service is Inland RVs hallmark.
Thanks to Greg Paulson for the excellent job on my axle conversion. (from spring to torsion)
And Terry for being cheerful when I woke him up on a Friday morning to pick up my trailer on the Thanksgiving holiday.
Good people to bring your Airstream to and to get parts from.
Regrettably I did not get to meet "Andy" but I am happy to hear that he had better things to keep him busy that week. Take care of your self and don't come back to work too soon. You have a good crew taking care of the shop!
I also regret not meeting you.
It was my last weekend before my knee replacement, and since life does sometimes hit a person with an problem, I wanted to have a great time with my new wife,of just a few days.

Thank you for choosing Inland RV Center for your repairs, and parts.

Andy

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Congrats Andy and have a speedy recovery.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Sure does seem like everyone LOVES Andy... Almost makes me feel guilty that I am buying new Axis axles from Colin Hyde at GSM. The quote I got was literally half the price with the shipping so my guilt should wear off fast.

Congrates on your new bride, the honeymoon stage is always the best part. I also hope your knee heals quickly. My Grandfather had it done too and he is good as new.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Congrats, Andy. I had both hips replaced 3 years ago then bought our TradeWind while still using a walker. I 'think' I remember my surgeon telling me "no lifting, bending, climbing for a couple of years. Well I replaced a black tank, repaired some floor, put in a new water heater........all before I felt comfortable to camp with the tailer. I probably should not have been that 'active' but the 'therapy' of accomplishing those and other things was excellent. Maybe my doctor got my new hips from Andy.......nah, they're made from titanium. I do need to get and install 2 new axles. Anyone know where I might find some good ones? They need not be made of titanium.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Congrats, Andy. I had both hips replaced 3 years ago then bought our TradeWind while still using a walker. I 'think' I remember my surgeon telling me "no lifting, bending, climbing for a couple of years. Well I replaced a black tank, repaired some floor, put in a new water heater........all before I felt comfortable to camp with the tailer. I probably should not have been that 'active' but the 'therapy' of accomplishing those and other things was excellent. Maybe my doctor got my new hips from Andy.......nah, they're made from titanium. I do need to get and install 2 new axles. Anyone know where I might find some good ones? They need not be made of titanium.

Neil
Torsion axles are readily available.

With some, you do all the engineering. If it's wrong, you pay.

As with many products, there are the good, better and best. If you decide to go with a cheaper one, then you sacrifice typically quality of the materials and/or the quality of construction. You choose wrong, you pay, several times over.

If you choose an original equipment part, you will still pay, "ONCE".

Some axle parts must be heat treated, such as the spindel and shaft, if not, you pay.

The axle ratings can be increased above the original, but only to a point. Above that point, it causes damages to the trailer. You pay.

Bottom line, is you must decide which "Y" in the road you wish to take.

Most owners choose to provide the trailer serial number, which eliminates all of the problems, and aloows the maximum, in Airstreaming.

Andy
Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Torsion axles are readily available.

With some, you do all the engineering. If it's wrong, you pay.

As with many products, there are the good, better and best. If you decide to go with a cheaper one, then you sacrifice typically quality of the materials and/or the quality of construction. You choose wrong, you pay, several times over.

If you choose an original equipment part, you will still pay, "ONCE".

Some axle parts must be heat treated, such as the spindel and shaft, if not, you pay.

The axle ratings can be increased above the original, but only to a point. Above that point, it causes damages to the trailer. You pay.

Bottom line, is you must decide which "Y" in the road you wish to take.

Most owners choose to provide the trailer serial number, which eliminates all of the problems, and aloows the maximum, in Airstreaming.

Andy
Okay, I won't beat a dead horse here, but measuring from hub face to hub face and outside frame rail to outside frame rail is not doing any engineering. It is called reading a tape measure. It is something just about anyone reading this thread is fairly able to do. I feel it is a bit insulting that you make it more than it really is.

Just because you call it "the best" does not make it the best. Just reciently you installed new axles on Rich Luhr's 2005. That means "the best" only lasted three years. Anything made by man can fail. It is great publicity to work for the editor of Airstream Life, but it is not such great publicity to be replacing "the best" with more of the "the best" after three years.

And the price of "the best" is twice that of its competitors, so I think I can afford to do it twice if I get it wrong. One way or another, we all pay.

When you get to a wye in the road you do have two choices, with axles you have three choices. Two of the roads lead to many houses along the road. The road you are on only leads to you. Good position for you, but not so good for those seeking choice of where and how they spend their money. Fortunately there is now other choices. There are Dexter dealers all across America. They are all independently owned and the price they charge is competitive. Your money is also benefitting someone in your community. I promise you they will give you just as good service as you might get on the phone calling California. Axis are becoming more readily available as they grow their business. You can call up GSM and Colin Hyde will hold your hand just like Inland RV does, explain all the options, all the choices and make the proper selection of axle ratings, brake sizing ect.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Okay, I won't beat a dead horse here, but measuring from hub face to hub face and outside frame rail to outside frame rail is not doing any engineering. It is called reading a tape measure. It is something just about anyone reading this thread is fairly able to do. I feel it is a bit insulting that you make it more than it really is.

Just because you call it "the best" does not make it the best. Just reciently you installed new axles on Rich Luhr's 2005. That means "the best" only lasted three years. Anything made by man can fail. It is great publicity to work for the editor of Airstream Life, but it is not such great publicity to be replacing "the best" with more of the "the best" after three years.

And the price of "the best" is twice that of its competitors, so I think I can afford to do it twice if I get it wrong. One way or another, we all pay.

When you get to a wye in the road you do have two choices, with axles you have three choices. Two of the roads lead to many houses along the road. The road you are on only leads to you. Good position for you, but not so good for those seeking choice of where and how they spend their money. Fortunately there is now other choices. There are Dexter dealers all across America. They are all independently owned and the price they charge is competitive. Your money is also benefitting someone in your community. I promise you they will give you just as good service as you might get on the phone calling California. Axis are becoming more readily available as they grow their business. You can call up GSM and Colin Hyde will hold your hand just like Inland RV does, explain all the options, all the choices and make the proper selection of axle ratings, brake sizing ect.
Airstream owners, everyday, ask us for original parts.

Reason? They want to keep the coach original.

Yet, some of the same owners, sometimes don't mind the deviation, when it comes to major parts.

Rich Luhr's trailer, in our opinion, had it's axles fail because of being under rated, and not because of product failure or wearout.

Andy
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Many thanks to "all', that have offered their best wishes.

Then to add a little more to the "what else", I got married to a fabulous RN right on the sands of Waikiki Beach, November 20th.

I will post a photo of us when I can get back to the office.

This quite well, may be the most joyous Christmas I have ever had.

Again, many thanks to all.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Andy

My wedding photo, as promised, taken on Waikiki Beach, November 20, 2008

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wedding.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	72524  
Old 12-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Congratulations and speedy recovery. The first weeks are a little rough but the end results are worth it. Just wanted to add as a newbie I appreciate the information that you share with us.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Andy, Congratulations. I am hoping to call you for more materials needed in my refurbishing process. Hope you enjoy Christmas like a new young boy. truly happy relationships are what it is all about.