Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Not complicated enough yet? Heeding advice from jcanavera about concrete wicking oil content out of tires, I put 6 mil poly under the tires when I put the Safari away for the long winter months. And cover the tires when she's stored outside.

The most damaging condition....inactivity for extended periods.

Dear Tire Doctor,

Can storing a vehicle on concrete effect the tires? Should I put barriers like plastic or other non-porous material under the tires? How about the effects of continuous storage for several days at a time with use between storage periods?

Dear Len,

Thank you for contacting Bridgestone and allowing us to assist you.

First of all, regarding the effects of storage:

A cool, dry, sealed garage is your best condition for storage, however, it is realized that this is not often an available option. Concrete is not the tire enemy some people think it is.

We would recommend the following steps in storing a vehicle:

1. Make sure the floor / ground surface is free of any petroleum product contamination (Oil, grease, fuel, etc.) since petroleum products will attack rubber and can cause significant damage to compound characteristics.

2. Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water.

3. Place a barrier such as plastic, cardboard, or plywood between the tires and the ground surface.

4. Cover your tires to block out direct sunlight and ultra violet rays.

5. Do not store the vehicle in close proximity to steam pipes, electrical generators or animal manure since these accelerate oxidation of the rubber.

6. Make sure your tires are fully inflated with air.

7. When the vehicle is ready to go back into service, inspect the tires for excessive cracking in both the sidewall and tread area and check all tire air pressures. Tires will normally lose about 2 PSI per month so you should expect to find the pressures lower than when you put the vehicle into storage. Re-inflate the tires to the correct air pressure before operation.

Now, about the effects of time:

Yes, rubber compound does slowly change over time, becoming "harder" as it ages. But unless we are talking years, this would be virtually undetectable. However; the most likely effect of storage will be:

1. Flat spotting of the tires from taking a 'set' while sitting in one position for an extended length of time. This 'set' may work itself out of the tires after being put back into operation, but not always. This, of course, would result in a vibration.

2. Tires have waxes and oils specially formulated to protect against ozone damage built into their rubber compounds. When the tire rotates and flexes, these waxes and oils are forced to the tire's surface and are thus able to protect the tire. When a tire is stationary, these waxes and oils are not coming to the surface and thus the tire is at greater risk of ozone damage.

3. Several days of non-use at a time is not nearly as detrimental to tires as long storage periods. The tires would still be operated often enough to avoid excessive 'set' and the waxes and oils are being forced to the tire's surface often enough to provide adequate protection against ozone.

Best regards, Tire Doctor

POI...our tires come off for Winter storage.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Just another problem to be concerned about is mice tunneling through the grass to get to the Airstream without worrying about birds! I'm fortunate enough to have a 30' wide asphalt apron to park on - giving the local birds (---and cats) a 10' wide "kill zone" all around my Airstream. No mouse has dared to cross it yet!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Just another problem to be concerned about is mice tunneling through the grass to get to the Airstream without worrying about birds! I'm fortunate enough to have a 30' wide asphalt apron to park on - giving the local birds (---and cats) a 10' wide "kill zone" all around my Airstream. No mouse has dared to cross it yet!
This is so true. See my AS registry for pics, but since my buddy rented me a spot on a retired concrete pig lot about 12 years ago, I have not had a mouse. To the right of the pic, there is a barn with a particularly good mousing, semi-wild cat.....and there are a lot of hawks in the woods nearby. Mice don't like to cross open concrete with no cover.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote