Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Here's a better picture

Here is a picture Zoe' took at Assateague State Park this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2130.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	60179  

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've been kicking around the idea for a while as well and will likely put my AirForums Avatar on along with our first names. I think the vinyl is a good idea but I feel compelled to have it painted on. I guess it depends on what the sign painter wants to do it.

Barry

Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #45
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
a caution:

Now, none of you know me, since I am a newbie here, but I feel that I have to speak plainly about a downside that I see to putting names, cities, or states on trailers.

When I read Pilgrim's comments in post #11 I had to agree: we don't live in the '50s anymore, we live in an age where people will steal your very identity given the chance, or create mischief or menace, sometimes just for their amusement.

I would suggest that you thoroughly think through the possibilities that merely printing your name on your trailer could encourage. Someone with evil intentions could use your name in any number of ways to create problems or even endanger you, in my opinion.

Sorry, I know I may sound paranoid, but I couldn't not say it "out loud" as it were.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #46
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

Sorry, I know I may sound paranoid, but I couldn't not say it "out loud" as it were.
Is it really paranoia if they really are out to get you?
Anybody that would write down your name and city to try to steal your identity would just as easily write down your license plate number and get even more info, such as your date of birth and driver's license number. Knowing your name and home city would just make it a little faster for them.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #47
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Is it really paranoia if they really are out to get you?
Anybody that would write down your name and city to try to steal your identity would just as easily write down your license plate number and get even more info, such as your date of birth and driver's license number. Knowing your name and home city would just make it a little faster for them.
That's very true, can't deny it. In my experience though, the vast majority of criminals are nowhere near that clever nor will they work that hard. Perhaps they are smarter or more industrious where you are than they are around here.

But if you wave it in front of them... Again, maybe I'm over-reacting, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #48
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Common sense safety while travelling

Let's really think about it for a second...

This is a travel forum. We announce all the time when we will be away from home. Plain folk like most of us who have been hanging around here for a while lose that anonymity that the internet is so infamous for. Sure some of us try hard to maintain it but then we don't really connect with our forum friends.

There are 1,455 unregistered persons surfing our forums right now.

The robbers don't know who else lives at our house while we are travelling (and the caliber of their small arms), the size of our dog, the cop next door who watches the house for us, the security system we have installed, the proximity of neighbors, the value or NOT of my possesions, etc... is it worth it for a thief to travel hundreds of miles for such an unknown quantity?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #49
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Terry, Steve, you're both right, your scenario makes no sense at all, who would do it? Who would drive a thousand miles? Answer: nobody.

But I can imagine some creepy type hanging around a campground who, upon seeing the parents leave the campsite, comes running up to one of the children yelling "Is your dad John Doe? He is hurt, he wants you right now! Come with me!" And ninety-nine out of a hundred children would run after him like their shoes were on fire. It could be just that simple, couldn't it?

My point is that publishing the name on the trailer makes it that much easier for someone to pretend that they know the owners, and therefore take advantage of that fact in their absence.

I'm all for the idea of putting your avatar or screen name on the trailer, just not real names.

That's all I have to say on this subject. I know it's not pleasant to consider, but one sees so much craziness in the news these days I couldn't leave it without commenting.

cheers,
Aage
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
that is why families and sadomasochist have "safe words".
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #51
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
i like the whole idea of it, but iam an old soul so iam told.

it shows the sad state of the world today when you have to bring up these terrible things that people could or would do. by simply painting your name and home town or state on you TT. but you could remedy this by just makeing up a name, city, and state. or you could use a name, city, or state you wish you had or lived in?

one other thing i would like to see some pictures of the older campers that already have someones name and city or state i think it would be cool to see some of the old faded names on a vintage trailer.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Good Grief!

how did such a sweet nostalgic post wind down like this? Our identities are everywhere - just try googling yourself. RELAX ... take precautions certainly, but be proud of who you are and where you come from. I love the idea of personalizing your trailer - just omit your last name if that's a concern .... and besides, I doubt that Airstreamers have the profile that interests your everyday run of the mill pervert.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #53
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa
how did such a sweet nostalgic post wind down like this? ...
I feel terrible about highjacking this wonderful thread about a simpler time. Perhaps the mods would like to divert these comments to a new thread related to traveling safely away from home?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Since I started this thread, I thought I would chime in.

Although I acknowledge that it is possible for "someone" to use your name for illegal or malicious purposes, I simply refuse to allow the low-lifes of the world to dictate how I live. I used to enjoy seeing where my fellow Caravanners were from. It helped me find their trailers at a rally that might have had a few hundred (or even a few thousand) Airstreams.

I believe that most people are good. I go out of my way to avoid associating with immoral or "bad" people. That is what I like about Airstreaming. I have met some of the nicest people in the world traveling with the WBCCI. By and large the type of people that would try to do you harm after seeing your name on your trailer aren't likely to be camping. Criminals wouldn't enjoy associating with people that actually would go out of their way to help their fellow man.

Thank goodness there are still lots of good people left in this world.

I am definitely painting my name and town on my 1963 Tradewind. I hope to see you down the road. Please honk and wave. You'll know it is me.... my name's on the trailer.

The Brumback's
Mike & Mary
Anderson, IN
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #55

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm with you! As soon as we get home from Maine, we plan to letter our beloved Lucy with our name and home town in a similar location as your parents did as shown in that old Christmas photo. I think we're going to go ahead and put it on the right front and the left rear. Our sweet Lucy is not Vintage yet, but the name lettering will give her a bit of a vintage feel.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #56
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
we will put our hometown and our last name on our trailer as soon as I finish polishing. In my mind, I live in a world filled with kind caring people. I cannot fear the possibilities of a thief coming to my house and robbing me. If they do come by, Cash will be more than glad to make them at feel welcome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	61158
I do not know why, but Cash is not too fond of visitors that show up unannounced. I feel painting your hometown and name to be a sign of pride. I also feel it is a tradition that has been let go and I think it is wonderful that some of us are getting back to the tradition.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote