Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pack Rats Can Mess Up Things

Hello All
Tee here and here's the first problem. Just got this 1977 Airstream Caravanner 25ft, rear bath.. The trailer hasn't been used and has been parked in the desert outside of Phoenix, Az for over 10 years. The only occupants were some Pack Rats and other critters. AND they love to eat ANYTHING and to POOP. . . .
Click image for larger version

Name:	wires1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	161251 Click image for larger version

Name:	wires2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	161252 Click image for larger version

Name:	light cover.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	161253
They ate the main wiring between the wall and even in one of the light fixtures. None of the 12vdc circuits worked... AFTER a few repairs the Power Panel and all lights and circuits are working

Name:	wires redone.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	161231
My next problem to tackle is that the Pack Rats lived in the Belly Pan area and no telling what is in that area** Dead Or Alive**

Name:	stuff 003.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	161250
This is the crap that was under the refrigerator (PackRat bed)
So now I must remove the belly pan or the floor to CLEAN all the STUFF in the pan out...
My ??? is what will be easier and has any one had this Problem????
tee3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Surprise , Arizona
I recently bought a 1984 310 Classic motorhome. It had been sitting for about 12 years in the CaveCreek AZ area. So far I've replaced all vacuum hoses, spark plug wires, distributor wire and alternator wire. All were destroyed by an unknown varment! Lets see.... another nest was on top of the gas tank and I had to replace main gas line hose, return line hose, fuel sending wire, generator gas line hose, 1 airbag tube. Another nest is still on top of the waste tank, but everything is still working with that system and I'm afraid to touch it! haha! Thankfully nothing got inside the MH. So add all that with the basic dry-rotting from the dry heat and you can guess what I've been doing with my spare time! If it's made of rubber, it's shot!
Here's a pic of part of an egg still left on the air cleaner! Quail maybe???
Enjoy your clean-up!
Danny in Surprise AZ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS-4.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	161279  
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I've lived here in Lake Havasu for 20 years and alway had some car parked around and more than once I've opened the hood to find that same nest of crap They are persistent LOL
tee3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
My 1958 fc sat in a orchard for 30 years. The smell was so bad you couldn't stay in there for more than a few min at a time. I had to take the shell off, replace the plywood floor, paint the frame, and power wash and and scrub all the aluminum walls both sides before the smell was finally gone.

Good luck to you.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
OMG it looks like a pile of french fries!
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I can relate but there is just something you should be thankful for... your incontinent little darlings never brought home Rattus norvegicus or the Norway/Wharf Rat, the most successful mammal on the planet after humans.

I'm guessing they entered my Overlander through the frame at the hitch and made a rat-shack out of the entire area fore of the FW tank.

Watch the wheel well areas, make sure the add-in sheet metal baffles are tight in the back of the bumper trunk and the hitch A-frame tubes are blocked off...