Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Pacific Northwest Repair or Restoration

I'm interested in getting input/references regarding any commercial sources that do repair and/or restoration of older Airstreams. I'm Portland based, but any Oregon or Washington resources would be of interest. I have a '71 Safari.

Thanks,

TK
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I'm interested in getting input/references regarding any commercial sources that do repair and/or restoration of older Airstreams. I'm Portland based, but any Oregon or Washington resources would be of interest. I have a '71 Safari.

Thanks,

TK
Unfortunately, there is no present or former Airstream dealer in your area, that does custom work.

Perhaps a non Airstream dealer may be available, but they cannot buy parts from the factory, so they must buy them from a dealer, which increases your costs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Looks like there is a new dealer in Portland. Check them out.

Portland Oregon Airstream Dealer - Airstream Northwest
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
I would recommend RV Pro in Vancouver, WA. Nice people who do good work, and they are comfortable working on older trailers.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
I would recommend RV Pro in Vancouver, WA. Nice people who do good work, and they are comfortable working on older trailers.
Mark
Does look like they are worth a call!

RV Pro: Vintage 1956 Airstream
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Pacific Northwest Repair or Restoration

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the new Airstream dealer in Portland. They will be doing some work for me in February, replacing a shattered window. The intent of the thread was to see who else is out there as well. I've heard of RV Pro in Vancouver but wasn't aware they had experience working on Airstreams.

Again, thanks for the tips.

TK
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the new Airstream dealer in Portland. They will be doing some work for me in February, replacing a shattered window. The intent of the thread was to see who else is out there as well. I've heard of RV Pro in Vancouver but wasn't aware they had experience working on Airstreams.

Again, thanks for the tips.

TK
Replacing opening windows only takes a very few minutes.

Replacing the wing windows, or the stack windows or the vista view windows, takes some drilling and riveting, but it's not a biggie once someone tells you how to do it.

Many owners change out those "riveted in" windows, without any problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Check with Airstream of Spokane. They seem to have a good reputation
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Home Shop Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Replacing opening windows only takes a very few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Replacing the wing windows, or the stack windows or the vista view windows, takes some drilling and riveting, but it's not a biggie once someone tells you how to do it.

Many owners change out those "riveted in" windows, without any problems.

Andy

Consider what Andy is saying. If you have the time and a few tools, a lot of repairs can be done while parked in your driveway. It helps keep the cost down so you can buy even more stuff.

Part of the joy of ownership is repairing and upgrading your unit and having the satisfaction that you have done it right.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I have been to Sutton, RV Pro and just came back from new Airstream dealer in Portland, Airstream Adventures NW.

I have had Airstream Adventures try to repair a leak in the front of the trailer that is soaking into the wood floor. The epic rain predicted for this weekend should tell how well it is holding up. I found them to be extremely customer service oriented and very accommodating. I would definitely use them again.

I have had RV Pro do a fair bit of work when I first bought the trailer several years ago. They repaired the gas line leaks, I had them replumb and remove the old copper pipes and replace with pex, replace the toilet, rebuild a roof fan cranking mechanism, chase down wiring shorts, and replumbed the dump system. I have found them to be eager to please and customer service oriented as well. They are not an exclusive Airstream shop, but whenever I was there have seen about two or three. They very much want to work with the AS community. I would use them for trailer work that would be common to many brands.

I would like to make sure we have an AS shop in Portland, so I would bring my trailer there for any work to be done and make sure us local AS owners support them.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about anything at length regarding service here in the Portland area. I have a 75 Safari.

I would like to know who you have used and what your opinions are.
By the way, I am a person that does not consider myself too handy, so I prefer to have pros work on my trailer hoping they could do a much better job that I could.

Frank
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just talked to Rick at RV Pro. Lots of knowledge, has worked on AS trailers since the 1980's. I'm going to take one in for some bodywork next week. I'll report back.

Happy Travels.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
I am in the area maybe we could help eachother. I will need a bucker soon.

Let me know how I can help.
Quote:

Thanks,

TK
filterman is offline   Reply With Quote