Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ardmore , Oklahoma
owner satisfaction-leakage and tow ability

I am highly considering the purchase of a 2017 27 foot AS and have been diligently looking at the forum and have learned a lot. The cost of repair of an airstream should a mishap occur is certainly a concern. I assume that is what insurance is for, that said it still has to be done correctly and timely.

I am also hearing that water leakage esp in the newer airstreams is something that needs constant attention and that they don't tow well esp with crosswind or trucks coming by on the highway. I would highly appreciate airstream owners feedback to these particular issues or possible other disappointments with their trailers.

I'm not trying to open this up into a big rant, as I realize with anything there will be people unhappy with a purchase or decision. Just looking for some clean feedback from the best source, those that own them. Thank you.
Soonersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a great deal of information here on Airstream quality control, if you use the blue search button at the top of your page.

Good luck in your decision,

Maggie
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes some of every brand trailer will leak. Many will not.

I haven't heard of Airstreams being more difficult to tow in wind, in fact my experience is that they tow better.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Consider all things read here with informed skepticism.

AS trailers tow better than all others because of their aerodynamic design. When set-up properly you won't have a trailering problem.

That said...you will have to be informed about QC issues.
Read the appropriate threads, do the needed research.
My recommendation...call Colonial Airstream., they have been my go to resource for all things AS, even if you don't purchase from them you will learn a lot.

Warning...
There is no cure for Aluminitis...just try to take your time and let the fever subside, haste is not your friend.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The Airstreams tow much better than any square box - the air goes over or around instead of pushing against the side. I've pulled through hurricane strength storms, and rock steady. The longer the trailer, the more you should consider sway control to deal with the push from semi-trucks - that's universal.
Leaks? What leaks? oh, yeah. They all leak eventually. seam and sealant maintenance is a cost of being in the club. However, a leak in a wood frame trailer is worse. With an Airstream, an undiscovered leak means fixing the floor.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Towability and stability are AS's greatest attributes, IMO. The video attached demonstrates that better than I could describe it. Every brand has strengths and weaknesses. IMO, the longevity of the brand speaks for itself. Good luck in your decision. We would happily welcome you to the party!

If you do negotiate a great price and make the purchase, wait a while before you worry about the dent. You can always get it fixed, if you decide it's a must.

fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
general repair

Good morning.
As the owner of a 2017 27' FB International Signature, I can tell you that I have never experienced any leaks of any kind. As for towing, the Airstream cannot be beat. This is one of the main reasons I replaced my 2001 Excella with a new Airstream trailer. The towing characteristics are extremely good. Being aerodynamic, they cut through the wind and are not so prone to side winds. My truck doesn't even know the Airstream is behind it. It tows like a dream compared to the box trailers
Andrew, K6STN
2017 27"FB International
20117 F-250 4x4 diesel Lariat crew cab
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Towing is better than the average trailer. That is why it is called AirStream, we stream into the air, like a plane. The ergonomy is especially well designed for gust winds. I was caught in an AZ sand storm last year, 65mph gusty winds, I felt nothing.
Leakage is pretty much the same as other and more of an ordeal and costly to repair.
Airstream take more care in the construction so chances are better.
I have experienced leaks.
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Ours tows well but we have had the odd leak, one fairly persistent from under the AC housing that was misdiagnosed by several dealerships, and finally fixed by Oasis RV in Tucson. We love our Airstream but recognize that there are QC issues that manifest differently in different rigs. Best advice to you is to find a good and trustworthy AS familiar repair-shop BEFORE you buy your rig, they will be invaluable. "The devil knows more because of his age than because he's the devil" so even if you are handy, working with folks who have worked with AS for years can save you a lot of grief.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
50+ mph winds not a problem

Just returned from a 5500-mile trip from Missouri to Texas to Southern and Northern California and back towing our brand new 2019 Classic with a new 2018 Ram 2500. 50+ mph headwinds and side winds. No problem at all. Towed like a dream.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We've only had our 2019 GT since last July, but we've got a lot of short trips out -one during a huge rainstorm...no leaks at all. We also visited it last week as we wondered if we'd gotten all the moisture dried out at the end of our trip and after a really bad series of rainstorms (my car had 1.5" of standing water in the back seat because a Grandkid left the door cracked open overnight!) and discovered it was dry and snug.

Compare that to our older trailer that suffered a 1/2" rubber roof crack we couldn't even see -probably a branch rub when pulling it, and then had an entire wall delaminate during a storm because of the way the roof attached to the walls. Inside damage -killed the stereo, speakers, overhead lights, delaminated a cabinet and the base of the eating area. And, could it be fixed? Nope -they'd have to tear the entire wall off one side and redo it and replace everything else.

As for towing? As long as your tow vehicle is capable and the trailer is properly loaded, it tows very smartly. They are more aerodynamically sound, less apt to react to wind or turns. The biggest issues we've had when towing is with a vehicle that was pushed to its limits. Our current Silverado 2500 is fantastic.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I am also hearing that water leakage esp in the newer airstreams is something that needs constant attention and that they don't tow well esp with crosswind or trucks coming by on the highway. I would highly appreciate airstream owners feedback to these particular issues or possible other disappointments with their trailers.

We have had four Airstreams since 2008. A Sport, Flying Cloud, Classic and a new 2019 Flying Cloud. We have not experienced leaks in any of the four trailers. Our first outing in the 2019 included heavy rain for five days after set up with local flooding in the campground but not a drop anywhere in the trailer. We have a Hensley hitch that we have used on both 30' trailers and prior was a Draw Tite ball hitch with sway control bar which we used on the 22 and 25'. We have not had noticable sway with either of those set ups.

I would not describe some of our issues with our 2019 as much as disappointment as opportunities for improvement. We take it to the factory in October and hopefully they can handle what we believe to be relatively minor issues.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Have an '05 28 foot int. 200,000 miles on it. Minor leaks repairable by you with appropriate silicone sealant. Highly recommend Hensley hitch and three quarter ton pu, we have diesel and rt's been excellent for 14 it's on the Alcan with many many mountains. On the repair issue we have found a group of mechanics in a single facility who all seem to own trailers. Their work has been very reasonable and excellent. But we did a bit of looking. They do exist you just have to locate them. There are good travel trailer dealers but good luck on that. Most are poor in our many miles of travel experience.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
My 2019 25-foot Airstream with 80 day-road-trip behind us has never leaked no matter how many times I’ve visited her over this past winter to check. However, i dented both rock guards and 1 panel on her during our 80-day maiden voyage and got her repaired at Jackson Center and was probably why I worried a bit more about follow-on leaks occurring. But then there were none. Yay. She tows wonderfully as is but I have decided to add a sway control bar to augment my Reese WDH system. I had same set up with previous AS (albeit an Equalizer) and thought it made a real difference.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
EH....sooner or later there will be little things to service, but you are way better off with an Airstream than a square ugly disposable box thing......when 30,40,50 yr. old Airstreams bring $15,000-70,000 ....well, that speaks for itself.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I just happened to see the video shown below that highlights some of the pros and cons of owning an Airstream. I thought it to be interesting and accurate! Maybe it will be helpful in your decision making process.

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Leakage is usually because the sealants get old and crack, especially on the roof, window eyebrows, and clearance lights. Sometimes, the factory will tighten down vent or skylight flange screws too tight and that causes the plastic flanges to crack. Most of us replace the skylights with Maxim Skylights made in Dallas especially for Airstream by an Airstream owner. They are Dade County, FL approved for hurricanes. After doing the above resealing every five years I have had no leaks. Most of the leaks are a result of age and body flexing on the road. It's just plain maintenance and keeping the trailer out of the ultraviolet light from the sun. This is true of all brands of trailers
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
I have owned a 26’ Jayco box trailer that was horrible in cross winds and when passed by big trucks. I have owned 2 airstreams and they have no such problems. I travel 60 mph on Rt 95 with big trucks passing at 70 mph with no affect! Best towing trailer period.
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ardmore , Oklahoma
sealant

Thank you to all on your input. Some great information. Several mentioned the need for regular sealing or caulking. What does that mean necessarily? What about the seams of adjoining panels. Do you add caulk around the doors and windows every so often. Is this a DYI project or a maintenance at an AS dealer I would think all openings on the top would be subject to leakage.
Soonersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
This book is my Airstream maintenance 'bible: "Airstream Life's (Nearly) Complete Guide To Airstream Maintenance."
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote