Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
Overwhelmed...

I brought my Amystreamer home in September, and it now December...I have gutted the interior, cut out three large floor sections, am awaiting the poop tank to be delivered so I can work on putting the floor back in, and am getting ready to order the fresh water tank with the money the interior panels brought when i recycled them. . I am def in over my head, and I to this point have done this all by myself. I have been through three hard rains, and no water in the streamer, so I am also trying to find an electrician before I re-insulate. I am so confused on what to use for the interior skins. I have priced 18 gauge aluminum and it is gonna be about 2 grand. any suggesgtions on what I could also use. Im headed for a divorce in the next several months, so i want to pre buy so I know I have it. Ugh...stress, but I am aiming for the day i park this beautiful gift on the campgrounds in Nags Head. The feeling I long for.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The WBCCI WDCU has a rally at the OBX during the month of Aug 2014 (Camp Hatteras) in Rodanthe, NC, Hope to see ya there. FYI many have come down with unfinished trailers if you don't get it done in time.

A couple of us go down from the Winchester/Front Royal, VA area.

Enjoy,

Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
There are many flavors of aluminum alloys and some are twice or more the price of basic alloy sheet. Its very rare to use the same high-grade 2024 electro-plated sheet found on the outside in the interior, the pure aluminum coating is for corrosion resistance.

18g may be too thick for your budget, though may look the best with no/low ripples or dimples...

18g aluminum is .0403", the only place on our trailers .040" is used is the front sheet above the hitch A-Frame where the shell is joined to the steel frame by a doubled-row of rivets. 0.032" is used for the remaining external shell, and 0.032" is used on the interior...

20g is 0.032"
21g is 0.028"
22g is 0.025"

Folks who have used .025" sheet in the interior have been heard to mutter .032" would have less wrinkles, and folks who have used the .032 have been heard to mutter what a pain to manhandle in place etc., only .025" was needed.

Maybe you already knew the above, if so sorry,

If you need continuous sheet stock of the 2024 it's available, maybe for the continuous ceiling sheet or the curved wall sections only - www.airpartsinc.com has it. They have other alloys at about half the price too but only up to 4'x12'. Tell us where you are thinking of going before leaping, eh?

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Based on the recommendations on this site, I used the 5052 H32, .032 thickness with good results. Got it from AirPartsInc.com also. Pick up a used set of Clecos and pliers if you can -- they will make life MUCH easier, especially if you use anything longer than 8' panels.

If you are painting, the best primer is automotive epoxy primer. Nasty, but good stuff. It's pretty common, so you should be able to get someone to spray it for you for a reasonable price.

Congrats on the new Airstream. If you can afford to take your time, do it slowly and right -- it will be very worthwhile! Many of us have camped in partially finished trailers. They are affectionately called Aluminum Tents.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
This may seem like a sacrilege, but how about a thin wood paneling or veneered plywood? You could attempt to replicate the wood interiors of early Airstreams - I think it could look nice, and probably be relatively inexpensive.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I'll second that suggestion. There's a few remodeled vintage Airstreams online that have gone the wood panel route and when done right they look fantastic. We have most of the interior skins on our project but will most likely go this route ourselves in some areas. Love the look.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Wood over sheet would be famous. No matter what folks see or say the liner sheets are a structural component; believe the penny counters would have replaced them at the factory if it wasn't so.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
I live 20 min from Winchester...
Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
thank you all so much for responding. I am going to call my local metal shop to check prices. Do I have to have a continuous piece on the ceiling. I have to get around the air conditioner....no..im not taking it out,lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Ms. Maid,

You could check with Winchester Metals out on Rt. 11 north they will cut the stuff for you if you know the lenghs you need.. Also, you don't need one long piece for the ceiling. If your frame needs repair, let me know a buddy of my does welding if you don't have someone in mind that can.

Enjoy,
Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Well.. not to be insensitive.. but the divorce thing.. good news for the guys out here.. you are a hottie..
As for aluminum.. I did mine in aluminum sheet. I got 4x8 sheets of .040 for $35 a sheet. The way it worked out was Craigslist. In Charleston, SC (not where I am now.. I am closer to you now :-) ) there is a company that manufactures aluminum sheet.. and the workers can get 4x8 as leftover items cheap. The guy was selling them on craigslist. If he is still selling I might be able to hook you up. PM me.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
I checked with Winchester and Maryland metals. waiting on a quote. I just got a message about needing to check for separation and sagging. I guess that is gonna get done this week. That is scaring me to say the least. I know it will be worth it. I will let you know what i find.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Your doing great the wife (my BFF) and I go the the star tannery picnic in aug every year. I wish I could get aluminum that cheap. Aircraft spruce is just a little cheaper than their shipping! Need more photos please. So are painting the interior?
Cliff
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
, West Virginia
no, not painting, I was told i could put a clear coat on the aluminum. Im hoping that was accurate. and thank you.