Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Below was copied from this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-103725-2.html

Regarding a repair of rear end sag is that a gusset plate would need to be added to the sides of the frame in the area where it is bent. This would involve re-straightening the frame, by jacking up the front and rear end until the frame is straight, then applying the gusset plate. I found some references to bolting on a plate and others that note welding on a plate.

Basically what you are doing is adding strengh to the frame by welding/bolting another piece of steel along side the frame that is already in place in the rear. If memory is correct, they also tried to bolt a piece if metal sitting on top of the subfloor, through the subfloor and down into the frame (but don't hold me to this one).

Enjoy,
Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
The WBCCI WDCU has a rally at the OBX during the month of Aug 2014 (Camp Hatteras) in Rodanthe, NC, Hope to see ya there. FYI many have come down with unfinished trailers if you don't get it done in time. A couple of us go down from the Winchester/Front Royal, VA area. Enjoy,
And some of us come all the way from NJ

Watch WDCU-ers have fun, visit www.wdcu.wbcci.net
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
he rear sag in the frame ? did 2 here last year. Jackson has a KIT !!!!
if you have rear sag also need to check floor side to side for sagging wall support gussets ( kit also available ) for rear = jack up so wheels dangle , jack stands at extreme rear of frame , add weight ( I used sand bags ) at center of axles , heat where buldged on bothg side and allow to settle out . whatch the heat closely so as not to have frame bend upward once is straight install reinfirc kit from AS and weld in place . is plug welded to keep distortion down . this is a job for a skilled metal worker.
if you have sagged side gussets will show with a straight edge laid across floor wall to wall should lay flat ? on the last 1 I did I had a 1 1/8" drop on pass side = body had dropped on pass/ side was a job to fix but trlr was already gutted to repair rear frame. good luck , feel free to contact me for pics if you think it will help .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote