Old 04-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
1989 29' Land Yacht
Belton , Texas
Overhaul help.

I recently bought a property that has an older airstream land yacht. Looks like it's 29-31 feet. It has been under a covered shed for about 12 years and the inside is a mess. Is there anyone that would come to granger, tx and give me a scope and estimate to renovate it.

Can't see it very well but here's the shed

brazosboyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Find a restorer who will work off photos and have it towed or wreckered there.
My experience with requests like yours is that estimaters are leary of travelling distances to perform estimates because most solicitations-for-estimates are by folks who are shopping for price... which results is an expensive waste of time for the restorer who'd better spend his time on projects already in the shop.
Sorry for the downer, just tryin' to help.

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4.7L 4X4
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Highland Village , Texas
A&P Vintage Airstream, Paradise, TX

I would check out A&P Vintage Airstream in Paradise, TX. I was able to dig in and do a lot of the work myself which was a great learning experience. I saved a lot on labor. I asked a lot of questions and there are many people willing to offer helpful direction on the Forum. Having someone else do the work can be costly but usually the end product is very nice. Hope this helps.
dleetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. First thing I would do is give it a good deep cleaning inside and out. Get rid of all the mold and rat poop. At least that way you can reduce the disease factor and clearly see what you are working with. Might make an inspector a bit happier also. Good luck.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The real question is, "What do you want to do with it?" If you'd just like to go camping or fishing it in once in a while, just clean it as noted above, check the tires and brakes, and take it on a test run. Fix the broken stuff, wash, rinse, repeat.

If you want to resto-mod it to be your pride and joy, then get ready to open your wallet and/or roll up your sleeves.

If you want to sell it, just clean out the junk and market it as "original."
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote