Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Our new 1968 30' Sovereign

We just picked up our '68 Sovereign this weekend. It is in good condition overall, but we are doing a minor interior restoration to it as well as basic needed repairs. I have a few questions so far that I'm hoping to get some advice on:
  1. 9-pin to 7-blade trailer connector - what is the easiest way to deal with this? I'm not having any luck finding something as simple as an adapter.
  2. Refrigerator - we were told that it worked fine, but that it is common for Airstream refrigerators to be very tempermental if the camper is not exactly level - is this true? We stayed in it one night on the trip to bring it home and after being plugged in for only a short period, I could tell the freezer was already getting cold, but the refrigerator never did and the freezer never got past refrigerator cold. The temp setting for both were turned to the cold side - not max cold, but 3/4 or so toward coldest for both. Any advice?
  3. Univolt - How do I know if it is working? I have seen post mentioning a hum, which it is not making. While we were plugged into 110v at the campsite, the AC ran fine and plugs and lights worked, so I guess it is, but I was getting fluctuating readings on the battery level meter - high once and low multiple times.
  4. Rotted subfloor - to the right of the door (looking at from outside) over toward underneath the right side of the couch, the subfloor is fairly rotted just for the first few inches in from the side wall. Part was even still damp. We drove the majority of the 6 hour drive home yesterday in the rain. Would this water be coming from road spray underneath? There is no obvious damage on the wall above the area.
  5. I have not tried any of the propane items yet. I wanted to get it inspected first, but a previous owner has tapped into the gas line for the furnace under the cooktop and mounted a little side wall heater under the magazine rack. I'm assuming this likely means the actual furnace doesn't work. Is there a good replacement for it to use the ducts again?

Thoughts on any or all of this are greatly appreciated.
designdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well howdy and to Airforums! Glad to see you got yourself a nice trailer!

Be extra-special kind to that one, because it has the all-wood interior, unlike the plastic that mine has.

As for the appliances, you have to admit that 44 years old is o-l-d for a water heater, a fridge (we call 'em refers) and a furnace. If they were in your home, you would NOT hesitate to replace them. I think it's wise to plan on doing the same for your new-to-you trailer, too.

Lots of opinions and advice on the way though, so just sit back and get ready to read!

ps: where are the photos!? We NEED to see photos of your new baby!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
replace the connector with a newer one. there are diagrams for re-wiring here and online elsewhere. The Univolt is working if your 12v stuff like the inside lights work when plugged into shore power.
The old furnace is dangerous and I suggest a plug in ceramic or other small heater. It is safe and will heat the whole interior. We use a small box from SharperImage it has to be run on low or we get too warm even at 30 degrees or lower camping.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Good point about the age of the appliances compared to expectations in a home. Water heater was already replaced within the last year by the previous owner. I hate to give up the fridge because it looks so good in there. It's the upgraded larger one. I'm afraid something new won't fit in as good, but I guess I'll start looking.

I'll look for the wiring diagram for the new plug. I'll have to learn how to attach photos. We have already taken out the carpet to replace it with cork throughout with vinyl tile in the bath. Painting the vinyl walls and bath and using Howard Restor-It on the woodwork.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by designdca View Post
I hate to give up the fridge because it looks so good in there. It's the upgraded larger one. I'm afraid something new won't fit in as good, but I guess I'll start looking.
Well, get hold of the model number and have a look here at Dometic's replacement chart.

Or failing that, you can install rebuilt innards to bring it up to date. or who knows? Maybe it will work for a while.

pssst: no photos...?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Let me see if I understand how to attach photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDE1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	169414   Click image for larger version

Name:	KITCHEN1.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	169415  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KITCHEN2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	169416   Click image for larger version

Name:	KITCHEN3.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	169417  

Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well looks like you figured it out! Nice photos there, and your rig is looking good!

Love that '60s look, and of course, it has the 'space-age' Intergalactic gauges. Gotta love it!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
keep that fridge and have it repaired if its practical. Mine was totally rusted out so we put in a new electric only that works fine. Cost 100 bucks. I do miss the bigger sized one we had before in our 31' though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well, get hold of the model number and have a look here at Dometic's replacement chart.

Or failing that, you can install rebuilt innards to bring it up to date. or who knows? Maybe it will work for a while.
By the way, if you do decide to replace your refer, be sure to hang onto the wood-look (or are they really wood?) panels in the doors. They may well fit a new refer.

Tags
1968, sovereign