Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Our First Airstream

My wife and I picked up our very first Airstream at the end of March. We love the trailer (named her Betty). Now the fun begins. It had not really been kept up with. A lot of things missing or broken, but we weren't afraid of the challenge. So far we have pulled out all major appliances; water heater, fridge, oven and furnace. Some of it reusable, others are getting replaced. The ac and the water heater we knew didn't work going into the purchase. The PO put a cargo roof box on the roof over the ac because the shroud had broken and he thought it would be dumb to replace a broken shroud on a broken ac (can't say I blame him), but it made the roofline look really bad. The new 15k btu ac is installed and we removed the "swamp cooler" since we live in Florida. We have enough humidity as it is. We replaced it with a Fantistic fan. The roof line looks much better now. Some of the other items just need some cleaning and reassembly. The stove was wire brushed and sanded/painted and it's working perfectly after replacing a couple LPG shut off valves underneath. We replaced all of the exterior running, clearance, brake/tail, and backup lights.

Now for the not so fun. As we were going through and pulling the carpet up we found some floor damage. Not much in any one location, but wood rot by the front door, the fridge, water heater and under the sink in the bathroom. So now she is pretty much gutted. We left the bedroom intact but the kitchen cabinets are out and much of the bathroom is out. Now the rebuilding can start. We are putting in new sections of floor where the rot was and we are going to reseal all of the windows and doors to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I will post some pictures tonight when I get home. Any words of wisdom you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to getting her back to her orignal glory (perhaps better) and to get camping.
RacerDan712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Pictures As Promised

When we picked her up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7nu7m6uyn...82353.jpg?dl=0