Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Our Airstream leaked

We had a really rough winter in the Northeast, and we only purchased our first airstream back in October. It's a 2003 classic. When we went to check on it the other day we noticed that the rug is wet and even the upholsterer dinette benches and couch are wet. Now, I have been looking for a really good reason to get it reupholstered and take out the rug to lay hardwoods, but my husband has been adamant on keeping it all original for resale value. Are we looking at just running a dehumidifier and maybe a shop vac, or do I get to gut it?
MLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Find and fix the leak. Without doing thst first anything else you do is a waste of time and money.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Agree with Michael, don't even think about changing flooring until you have found and fixed the leak.

Sometimes the source can be tricky to find, that water can leaking at one point and follow a contorted route within the walls before it finds its way to the floor and makes its presence known!

Check windows, seams, rivets, and caulking on anything up on the roof such as antennas, skylights, awning brackets, fans, etc. Eventually you should find the source of the leak - probably after you recaulk everything! !

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Might be worth finding a shop that performs a pressurized leak test. Sounds like you have multiple leaks.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I'll second the above--start by fixing the leak, but in the mean time, you will want to get it dried out ASAP to minimize damage to the subfloor, growth of mold, etc.. Yes, a wet vac, dehumidifier, air mover, etc., are all going to help. If you find that your subfloor is rotting, you may have repairs that go well beyond redecoration.

As to keeping the trailer original for the sake of resale value, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you don't make design choices that are so individualized (ie., gum-drop green carpeting) that nobody else can tollerate them, I don't think you are in too much danger.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If you had a lot of snow on the roof, that might have allowed it to leak where it might normally be ok. I'm thinking something like a vent or a seam that leak the way a roof on your house might with an ice dam. Those leaks may be harder to find without the snow.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback. We had a lot of snow on the roof and that is where I think it is leaking from. We are going to work on cleaning it out and dry it up and then decide where to go from there. I might get those hardwood floors after all ;-)
MLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
First step get a dehumidifier in there. When I was first dealing with my leaky mess I found a used large household one on craigslist, it worked great to pull all the water out.

I actually just pulled it out again last night because I steam cleaned all my foam with a combo of upholstery cleaner and bleach and I want it to dry out fast so mildew doesn't start to grow.

As for the leaks start at the top looking for leaky rivets and seals and work your way down. Each and every time you get a storm blowing rain from a different angle go and check on your trailer again. it took me months to get my leaks under control.

Oh and you really don't want hardwood floors in there until your damn good and sure you got all the leaks because the water will just hide under that nice high floor and rot out your sub floor.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
my AS also leaked.. floor was damaged. I fixed leakssssss and then dried the floor completely... next, I repaired the floor with special epoxy. It is not pretty, but it is strong again...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Channing,
Specifically, what epoxy and process?
Thanks
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
There is a "wet wood restorer" product out there that hardens soft/wet wood and inhibits further decay (best used for small spot or to allow you to patch to a small spot)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
Channing,
Specifically, what epoxy and process?
Thanks
Dave
I used "Git-Rot". Got from West Marine.

Here is a similar but more thorough kit
http://www.systemthree.com/projects-rot-repair.asp?gclid=CMLGjo-5uMQCFZeVfgodjr0AQA

There are things thee to kill off bacteria, mold, etc.

Send Pm if you want details.. To keep thread clean...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote