Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Oscilating multitool to remove roof calk.

Hi all.

Has anyone used a multitool with scrapper attachment to remove some or most old caulk on roof of you AS? If you have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks.

JL
Old 08-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
That sounds like a good way to get permanent gouges in the aluminum. Buy a few of these and put them on your drill. You can stack them for flat areas or just use one to get in tight spots.

http://m.skygeek.com/3m-048011-30098...disc-3-in.html

If you're dealing with silicone, get the silicone remover available at Vintage Trailer Supply.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Save the roof; use plastic scrapers or sharpen wood paint stir and follow up with the silicon remover and alot of elbow grease. NOTHING METAL for safety sake. Also been there.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Oscilating multitool to remove roof calk.

Also a heat gun or even a hair dryer can make most sealants a little less difficult to remove. The plastic or wood wedges are a great idea as well.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I'll repeat a suggestion I found here a couple of years ago. Go to the pt store and get some of those dried cow hooves they sell for chew toys. They say it's like a giant fingernail and that it won't scratch aluminum.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Even though I feel like I'm swimming against the current here, I'll raise a hesitant hand and stammer out, "I used a multi-tool to remove the leftover caulking under my A/C." That stuff wasn't just hardened in place, it was fossilized! Sure, the multi-tool with the blade on it scratched the aluminum up, but I put another layer of caulking back on, then put my A/C on top of that. Then coated the whole roof with NASA ceramic paint. I can't see any scratches...

(It worked great!)
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Even though I feel like I'm swimming against the current here, I'll raise a hesitant hand and stammer out, "I used a multi-tool to remove the leftover caulking under my A/C." That stuff wasn't just hardened in place, it was fossilized! Sure, the multi-tool with the blade on it scratched the aluminum up, but I put another layer of caulking back on, then put my A/C on top of that. Then coated the whole roof with NASA ceramic paint. I can't see any scratches...

(It worked great!)
What is NASA ceramic paint? It sounds expensive.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
NASA ceramic paint.
I sometimes joke with my wife about caulking the Airstream and fording the river. I shudder to think what you might be attempting with your NASA ceramic paint. Re-entry from orbit?
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Supertherm Multi-Ceramics paint. http://www.supertherm.net/multicera.htm
OK, it's not actually from NASA, but I guess that it uses some of the tech that was developed for the space program.

I don't know if it quite lives up to all the breathless hype on the webpage, as my Airstream can still get to over 100 degrees inside on a hot day, sitting in the sun. But I guess that every little bit helps, and it did seal my roof quite well. On a day that touching the uncoated part of the trailer instantly burns my hand, I can barely feel any heat on the painted part. It took a gallon to do the entire roof section.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote